Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Small farm rolling hay fields. I have some low wet spots because of streams running on property. I need the ability to back and cut ponds and creek banks. I want the largest lift cutter I can use safely. I have allways used lift before never had a pull type.presently have a 5205 with mx6 . bought new both 2005. Need to match 5100E cab with right cutter the first time.

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
You're welcome
Integral equipment attaches to lower draft links & centerlink hence the name 3 point hitch. Semi integral attaches to lower draft links but has no center link attaching point hereforet relies on tailwheel or tailwheels to support rear of implement.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Thanks for reply, now if I can figure out what semi-intergal and integral cutters are I will be ok ?
Integral = 3-point aka "lift type"
Semi-integral = semi-mount. Uses the lower two arms of the 3 point hitch and has a tail axle.

A 5100E has the power to run a 15' batwing so you are really limited by weight of the cutter rather than the power needed to run it. I wouldn't run a 3 point cutter larger than an 8' unit as they are too heavy otherwise. A semi-mount has little weight on the hitch so you could run a 10' or 14' one just fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Integral = 3-point aka "lift type"
Semi-integral = semi-mount. Uses the lower two arms of the 3 point hitch and has a tail axle.

A 5100E has the power to run a 15' batwing so you are really limited by weight of the cutter rather than the power needed to run it. I wouldn't run a 3 point cutter larger than an 8' unit as they are too heavy otherwise. A semi-mount has little weight on the hitch so you could run a 10' or 14' one just fine.
THANKS, I needed that help. I have only had smaller tractors (ford golden jubilee,allis D15, Kubota M6800, now John deere 5205 with mx6. This is my first 100 hp tractor. I do mostly utility work with tractor on small farm 180 acres. mostly hay fields and woods. had deere 5205 since new 2005 been great tractor, keeping it. thank you for your help.

·
Registered
493 Posts
THANKS, I needed that help. I have only had smaller tractors (ford golden jubilee,allis D15, Kubota M6800, now John deere 5205 with mx6. This is my first 100 hp tractor. I do mostly utility work with tractor on small farm 180 acres. mostly hay fields and woods. had deere 5205 since new 2005 been great tractor, keeping it. thank you for your help.
The four-cylinder 5100E is going to be a little larger than your 5205 but in general they are relatively close in size. The 5205 was a little smaller than the typical 80.7" wheelbase 3 cylinder 5000 series units Deere has been making since the early 1990s and the four-cylinder 5Es are slightly larger than the 3 cylinder units. My father has a 5083E which is the same size as your 5100E and I have a 5075E which is a "standard sized" 3 cylinder 5000. Sit them side by side and they are pretty close in size. That size of tractor is a very handy sized tractor for hay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The four-cylinder 5100E is going to be a little larger than your 5205 but in general they are relatively close in size. The 5205 was a little smaller than the typical 80.7" wheelbase 3 cylinder 5000 series units Deere has been making since the early 1990s and the four-cylinder 5Es are slightly larger than the 3 cylinder units. My father has a 5083E which is the same size as your 5100E and I have a 5075E which is a "standard sized" 3 cylinder 5000. Sit them side by side and they are pretty close in size. That size of tractor is a very handy sized tractor for hay.
Thank you, The more information I have about the 5100E the better. I am keeping my 5205 because it is so sound and handy for everyhing. It only has 1300 hrs. Still not sure about rotary cutter size for 5100E. I want the largest lift type. I can use safely and will be easy on tractor. I have gotten good information here.Wish I found site years ago. Again thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Not sure how much you have to cut, but assume it is a lot.

My experience is large 3 point cutters are a pain, especially if there is a lot of topography change. If you already have a MX6, use it to cut you banks if your comfortable doing that. Then get a large pull behind for the fields. A 100hp tractor can handle a 15' batwing easy. It is much easier to use a pull behind cutter. What I see most common around here, 3 point cutters stop around 7' or 8' wide. I am pretty sure 7-8' wide is usually the split between single and dual blade cutters so probably a big weight difference between the two. Everything I see 10' or wider is pull behind. Semi mount isn't a big seller around here either, but it does shorten up the overall length of the cutter. If you go wider than 10' consider a batwing, pretty sure all batwings are pull behind.

If there are similar properties around you, go ask those guys what they use. Ask them for pros and cons on cutter styles.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
If you don't want to go batwing, Bush Hog makes a really good 10' cutter that I have wanted for a while now. I have a 5090E which is the exact same tractor you have. Same specs with the fuel turned down. I pull a 20' finish mower and have pulled a 10' Bush Hog cutter. My tractor pulls either in economy PTO great. You'll love that 5100. I have a 5310 and sold it when I got my new one. I wish I had kept it now. Use that small tractor to do the trim work and the larger one for the rest.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Not sure how much you have to cut, but assume it is a lot.

My experience is large 3 point cutters are a pain, especially if there is a lot of topography change. If you already have a MX6, use it to cut you banks if your comfortable doing that. Then get a large pull behind for the fields. A 100hp tractor can handle a 15' batwing easy. It is much easier to use a pull behind cutter. What I see most common around here, 3 point cutters stop around 7' or 8' wide. I am pretty sure 7-8' wide is usually the split between single and dual blade cutters so probably a big weight difference between the two. Everything I see 10' or wider is pull behind. Semi mount isn't a big seller around here either, but it does shorten up the overall length of the cutter. If you go wider than 10' consider a batwing, pretty sure all batwings are pull behind.

If there are similar properties around you, go ask those guys what they use. Ask them for pros and cons on cutter styles.
3-point cutters are available up to 14' wide although I have never seen a 14' unit in person. Supposedly they are used in the grain belt states to shred cornstalks and run with tractors like 7R and 8R Deeres. We don't have much for row crops around here so we don't see either those cutters or tractors much over about 175 HP around here as most people raise cattle.

Generally anything new that is single-spindle is going to be 3-point only and those are 4', 5', 6', and 7' in size.

Bush Hog makes an unusual 7' two-spindle 3-point mounted cutter (the fixed-offset SQ84T) but generally two spindle units are 8' and 10' in size. I see some 3-point 8' units and rarely a 10'er set up this way but the majority of multiple-spindle cutters are pull type. A 7' single spindle cutter is actually going to be more difficult to lift on a 3-point than a 8' twin-spindle due to the 7'er being so much longer and exerting much more torque on the hitch. The 8' unit weighs more but is less than 2/3 as long.

Batwings start at 10', all are pull type, and 15' and 20' batwings are very common here.

Personally, if you already have an MX6, I would not consider getting anything smaller than a 10' cutter, and to be honest, I would just go ahead and get a 15' batwing. I got an MX6 with my 5075E because it is about the same width (actually, about 6" narrower) than my tractor and I could use it to mow the several miles of fencelines, ditches, field edges, and driveways. It works very well for that. I debated also buying a larger cutter as I have about 60-65 acres of fields that don't get multiple cuttings of hay taken off and thus need to be mowed to keep the locust trees, blackberries, and other brush under control. A larger cutter isn't cheap so I decided to just use the MX6 for that too to see how it went. To be honest, it wasn't that bad, particularly since my fields are somewhat irregularly-shaped and I probably would have had to use the MX6 to mow about a quarter of it anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do agree a small cutter like my mx6 is really handy. It does a great job and does not leave windrows. I don't like cutters that leave windrows. I watched a bush hogg 3208 cut the other day. It looked like it had been cut with a conditioner left hugh windrows. Brother in law has a new Rino 12 ft batwing cutter. He just got it, paired with his 2013 5100E have not seen in use yet. I have to worry about cost, he doesn't.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I have to worry about cost, he doesn't.
most can feel that pain. I bought a used 10' fixed deck pull behind, put a couple bearings, u-joints in it and new blades, to date it has been a great cutter. If you buy a used wide deck fixed cutter, look at the deck close to make sure it is flat, especially 3 point mounted ones. Cutters with a hard life are often warped and not flat, that affects cut quality bigtime. So don't rule out buying a used cutter, there are nice ones out there.

concerning windrows, I believe some brand cutters with dual spindles rotate towards each other, some brands rotate away from each other (probably older cutters, I think it is standard to rotate towards each other now - safety reasons). The ones that rotate towards each other would tend to windrow. I have heard of people swapping the gearbox locations left to right, this will reverse the blade rotation to prevent this. Single spindle cutters will always tend to discharge towards one side, its just not as much cut to notice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.