Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To me it doesn't look like John Deere green and Frontier green are the same colors. Plenty of paint companies sell John Deere green, but has anyone had any luck finding frontier green? Am I just being retarted and they are the same thing? I am just looking for a can of spray paint to paint my weight basket for the frontier landscape rake

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
They are the same color but that is the one complaint I have with Frontier equipment. The paint and prep for paint seems like an after thought. I have seen it fade and peel and it probably depends on who is making that particular item as to quality of job it will be.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,432 Posts
They are the same color but that is the one complaint I have with Frontier equipment. The paint and prep for paint seems like an after thought. I have seen it fade and peel and it probably depends on who is making that particular item as to quality of job it will be.
Yup, the paint on my fork's frame is starting to peel in a few spots, going to scrape all the peeling stuff off, prime and re-spray with Rust-Oleum rattle can Deere green.

The paint on the loader bucket is holding up surprisingly well.

I've found that Rust-Oleum Deere green is a pretty good match for Deere green and holds up.

Heard that official Deere green is made by Valspar. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
That is the issue, you have many suppliers, in the amalgamation of suppliers which make up Frontier. ( which is simply a trademark brand not a company in and of itself). For parts that John Deere outsources as part of it’s OEM group their is a whole book of requirements on prep and paint and they have to buy the exact paint out of the same batches the John Deere OEM plants use.

If you go through the plant that makes the small backhoe attachments for JD you would see the same prep process and paint process as you would see in a JD factory and the paint has the same UV compounds etc. as the JD OEM paint lines. Then samples are run through accelerated environmental testing, salt spray, UV, and heat applied to se if the process and coating are holding standards.

They have standards for the Frontier suppliers but they do match the OEM standards for prep and finish, hence sold under the Frontier trademark vs the JD Logo. Holding the paint to the OEM standard on all of these small implements across a multitude of small suppliers would add significant cost per part to these lower value items. While larger suppliers like those making the backhoe have systems and processes that meet or exceed the selected John Deere standards since most of their other customers like Mahindra have the same standards. When I was there a few years ago they were making Mahindra mower decks and JD backhoes on adjacent lines, same paint system.

My expectations are also diffrent I don’t have a problem getting a rattle can of Valspar JD paint and touching up an implement. There are not many green areas on the tractor that wear and need a rattle can occasionally, except the loader brackets for me.

John Deere does the same thing with parts, it wants to sell and participate in the lower cost parts opportunities. So the Frontier trademark is really no different than their recent acquisition of sunbelt outdoor products. Sunbelt over time will become just a trademark as it is integrated into JD. However it enable JD to sell parts they could never put a John Deere logo but fit many of their machines. And it gives them all makes business to leverage their network to compete against their competitors by offering improved service and cost on parts for their equipment.

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Gizmo,

What ever the opposite of OCD is; You have it when it comes to paint matching at least.:laugh: well, and caring about what you wear.

When it comes to spring and house cleaning your the man.:good2:

·
Premium Member
11,045 Posts
I can't help myself...

Hardly noticeable...

:munch:
Wow... that spot on the fender blends in perfectly............................... with the ROPS! :-0

·
Old Pa-pa
11,432 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Keith you missed some on the ROPs base!:)

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Keith you missed some on the ROPs base!:)
I thought the same. He paints the green plastic that wont rust flat black, then leaves the rust on the MEDIUM black.

:dunno:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts