Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't ask me why....but I picked up a 2002 Max IV (four seater) 6x6 a few days ago. The pics are from the seller's ad and make it look a little nicer than it really is (bet that's never happened before). The seller wanted quick cash for another project, the price was exceptionally reasonable, it was 15 minutes away and I always wanted a 6x6 toy. I'll probably add a roll cage and winch if I decide to keep it for the long haul.

Steering with a pair of sticks is a unique experience, to say the least! I took my wife for a 10 minute ride after I unloaded it and we laughed the entire time. I'm thinking it will be fun in a light snow with the grandkids!

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,284 Posts
Congrats! :kidw_truck_smiley:

It's an awfully weird feeling to drive one into water for the first time and then have it float. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
I see these things up on Craigslist fairly often - some of them pretty seriously beat. But they do look like they could be fun. I want tracks on mine!

·
Registered
346 Posts
They're fun until you get stuck. If you do any trail riding in tight places you'll quickly realize that you loose half of your forward propulsion when steering. Best stick to flat land or open areas.

·
Premium Member
13,947 Posts
Looks pretty nice, always thought one would be fun to have. Enjoy.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, everyone! I had fond memories of an old "Coot" vehicle a neighbor had when I was a kid. Google "Coot ATV" and take a look at a YouTube video of their ingenious articulated body design....pretty darn cool.

From what I understand, the market for these quirky amphibious vehicles is dominated by Argo, Max and Mudd-Ox. I believe Mudd-Ox acquired Max in 2013. Max began in 1969 and claim their T-20 Skid Steer Transmission enables much smoother, low speed turning capabilities. Based on the admittedly limited research I did, many folks agree that it's a huge advantage over the Argo. I'm sure the 6x6 and 8x8 folks are just as fiercely brand loyal as the Ford - Chevy - Dodge truck enthusiasts.

Just like our tractors, ATVs and UTVs, it appears there are numerous aftermarket accessories to drain your wallet. I understand the optional tracks make them quite the snow machine.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, looks good - but isn't it the wrong colour? :mocking:
Yeah, I suppose it does look a little faded pink! I've been thinking about using a heat gun in an inconspicuous place to see if it brings back some of the red color. Still, red wouldn't be my first choice and probably wasn't a big seller.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I think jd.rasentrac is thinking more along the lines of JD green. That would be my preference also. :laugh:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think jd.rasentrac is thinking more along the lines of JD green. That would be my preference also. :laugh:
Oh goodness....of course, that makes perfect sense! My wife has to explain a lot of stuff to me, too. :laugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts