Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time's getting real close to deliver my "Deere Santa Letter". I would like to know the actual (not claimed) maximum height of cut for a 62D mower on a 25/2720. I can't find this info for any of the CUT MMM decks/tractors JD makes. I'm getting down to the wire on this new tractor and I now just have to decide on MMM or 3pt FM. ALL of the FM manufacturers list their top cutting height in the spec's. I'm looking for up to 5"-5.5" cut.

·
Super Moderator
5,589 Posts
Hydro,sorry my plow is on now,and I can't check it for you,but I'm certain you will be able to achieve 5 inches.

Greg

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Well, I think if you set the 62D on my 2520 at the max height, and cut the lawn, then went out and looked for the longest piece of cut grass that was laying at a 45 degree angle and straightened it up, it might be 5.5" long. :tongue:
I haven't measured, but it sure looks to me like a 4" thick lawn is about the max I can get out of it. Now maybe Deere measures the max height by putting the mower at the max height and parking the tractor on a flat parking lot and measuring the height from the blacktop to the mower blades, but I don't see how you'd get over about 4" in the real world. That's about how high it looks to me.

Like I said, I haven't gone out and measured it, all I know is I can't cut as high as I used to with my old 40U and rear finish mower, and it isn't like I used to leave the grass 6" long with the old mower. I might do my last mowing this weekend, so if you want I'll make a cut and go measure it.

I will say that the cut is beautiful, and I no longer mind the shorter cut, in fact I like it because it is very even. The 62D has about a 5" larger effective cut width than my old mower, but it floats much better and I don't get any scalping.

·
Super Moderator
8,158 Posts
I believe it depends on whether you use the mechanical or independent lift. I have an independent lift on my 2720 with 62d and with the deck adjuster full up it's probably well over 6" cut.

·
Super Moderator
5,589 Posts
I haven't measured, but it sure looks to me like a 4" thick lawn is about the max I can get out of it. Now maybe Deere measures the max height by putting the mower at the max height and parking the tractor on a flat parking lot and measuring the height from the blacktop to the mower blades, but I don't see how you'd get over about 4" in the real world. That's about how high it looks to me.
Andy,I've measured before,and I know it's well over 4" for sure. I have to wait until spring to measure it again.:( Usually I take pictures of everything, because you never know when they could be reference material. Don't have a height photog. I'll definitely do that this time.

Greg

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK and thanks to everyone. The consus seems to be somewhere between 4"-5" which would be OK and that's exactly what I needed to know. Looks like 62D it will be. The 3 pt FM's and the MMM decks weigh around the same for handling/sharpening/maintenance/storage purposes so I guess it's down to "ease of operation" around obstructions. The MMM will hit stuff right on either side where I can see them right away like I've been doing all along. No need to overspin my neck! :laugh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts