Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to install an LED light bar on my ROPS. I see from other threads that I'll want an approx. 20-24" light bar. My question is, how much wattage is "too much" for the electrical system for the 1025R? Going with the philosophy that "you can't have too much light," they have a 20", 420W light bar that puts out 42,000 lumens:

Amazon.com: Nilight 18024C-A 20Inch 420w Triple Row Flood Spot Combo 42000LM Bar Driving Boat Led Off Road Lights for Trucks,2 Years Warranty: Automotive

I'm not familiar enough with the electrical system on cars/tractors to know if it's "too much". They also produce 360W, 288W, 216W, etc., so I'm feel somewhat spoilt for choice without knowing which of the options are realistic for the 1025R.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Watts divided by 12 equals your amps. In this case your 420 watt light would be 35 Amps. I am not sure what size alternator you have on your tractor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I find it hard to believe that light draws 420 watts. Often with LED lights they list the equivalent brightness in watts. Consider the home LED bulbs that are 60 watt equivalent and draw just a few watts of electricity.

I tend to think that the 160 watt/13.3 amp numbers are more accurate for what this light draws. Looking around at some other brands, I see LED light bars that are twice the size but don’t draw anywhere near 420w.

I think the “420w” is intended to indicate equivalent brightness rather than current draw.

My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I’m running a 145W, and two 18W lights, plus an LED beacon. I think I measured 4.5A all told. Obviously they rate the wattage as equivalent brightness to an incandescent light. Plenty of light, turns night into day.

The cigarette lighter socket is rated for 10amps. I’ve burned out a few plugs drawing less than 5A continuously, and once got burned by touching the contact. I’d say it is too much, and not necessary anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you are concerned that there is too much draw, there is an easy fix, use a relay. A relay will isolate the power draw from the switch and other easily damaged items. Essentially your switch will turn the relay on and off rather than the light. The relay will then interpret that one/off and feed juice to the lights as needed. Cost of a relay is about $10. I've included some simple wiring diagrams that I used to put Aux lights on my 1026r with a relay which wasn't necessary, but gave me comfort (file under doing it right the first time). The last one includes separate switches for aux lights and a rear work light.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,642 Posts
If you simply want to tie that light bar into the existing work light circuit that is already there in the harness it is a 20 amp circuit for the 1 series work lights.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Q&A section says 8 amps; sounds about right, but my math also came up with 13A.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Q&A section says 8 amps; sounds about right, but my math also came up with 13A.
I tested similar lights, they were much lower than I expected. I think the “144W” one came in at 2.7A, if memory serves...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
823 Posts
Curious why you want/need that much light on a 1025? I have a 120w, 16" 2 row light bar on the front bumper of my Jeep, and it's really bright. No problem lighting up a path at the Dunes. It's not the brightest but it gets the job done for sure. 40 some thousand lumens is a butt load!

With light bar on and with headlights only. HUGE difference!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,921 Posts
Sometimes on a tractor you can over light it and it shuts down your pupils with glare, takes the fun out of them being on. Mounting them can be a pain to get it right on the glare part. My 4 - 19 watt LED flood Lights (2-front & 2 rear)light up my driveway and other stuff real nice and does not blind the people/cars around me doing stuff. I mounted all 4 about 7 1/2 ft off the ground above my home made cab roof. That way it is like looking out your window in your house outside comfortable on the eyes and you still see great! Don't have a problem in the blowing snow with white wash blinding me off it. 100_2319.JPG 100_1698.JPG

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'm looking to install an LED light bar on my ROPS. I see from other threads that I'll want an approx. 20-24" light bar. My question is, how much wattage is "too much" for the electrical system for the 1025R? Going with the philosophy that "you can't have too much light," they have a 20", 420W light bar that puts out 42,000 lumens:

Amazon.com: Nilight 18024C-A 20Inch 420w Triple Row Flood Spot Combo 42000LM Bar Driving Boat Led Off Road Lights for Trucks,2 Years Warranty: Automotive

I'm not familiar enough with the electrical system on cars/tractors to know if it's "too much". They also produce 360W, 288W, 216W, etc., so I'm feel somewhat spoilt for choice without knowing which of the options are realistic for the 1025R.

Thanks in advance!
Your alternator is 40amp so if your running no other electronics you have more than enough capacity for the 420 light bar if LED

1 - 13 of 13 Posts