Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I bought a McKee 720 and have fixed it all up. Now I am confused how to hook the PTO shaft to the implement. It is my first implement. The PTO shaft at the implement end has a key way and the connection on the blower has a key way and what looks like a shear bolt that has sheared and stuck in the hole. The two key ways seem to be different sizes. There is also a small bolt on PTO knuckle. I have included pictures. Any help appreciated. THX.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Looks to me like you need to do the following:
  1. Back off the bolt that is in the pto shaft.
  2. find a key that fits in the keyways
  3. using a drill, make a dimple in the metal that looks like a sheared bolt. The purpose of this is to provide something for the shaft bolt to bite into.
  4. Slide the parts together and tighten the shaft bolt into the dimple.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Not familiar with the McKee, but first thought is that you have the wrong pto shaft. The 2 keyways have to be the same size, at least width. You can get a stepped key machined that will make it work, but I would only do it if I had to. Beings how there is a bolt sheared off on impl. shaft and not a hole in pto shaft for a shear bolt, only further validifies my thought on the pto shaft is the wrong one. I'd contact the seller and see if he/she/they/them/it/him/her, gave you the wrong one.

·
Premium Member
5,999 Posts
Looks to me like you need to do the following:
  1. Back off the bolt that is in the pto shaft.
  2. find a key that fits in the keyways
  3. using a drill, make a dimple in the metal that looks like a sheared bolt. The purpose of this is to provide something for the shaft bolt to bite into.
  4. Slide the parts together and tighten the shaft bolt into the dimple.

This is correct. I doubt it was a bolt through there it might just look that was because the tightening bolt was loose. The keys might have started the same size but if the bolt was loose the keyway on the shaft might have wallowed out a bit. Since the shafts ride on the diameter, the key just keeps it all rotating together. Even if a little loose it should be fine.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I guess I am just not seeing any keyway wear marks or areas on the shaft. :dunno:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Super Moderator
5,285 Posts
Yeah, that "shear bolt" isn't a shear bolt. That's a set screw/bolt there to stop the PTO shaft from slipping off the PTO stub. It looks like someone ran that thing without the keys in place relying on the bolt to drive the PTO stub and it isn't built for that so it snapped off.

I'd drill out the remains of that bolt that is stuck in the stub and go find a replacement bolt and some keys of the correct size.

Reactions: raco232
1 - 7 of 7 Posts