Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering the MCS 20 in the spring. Does it require the installation of the independent lift system for the mower deck? Or can it operate with the mower deck being attached to the traditional 3pt lift system?

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I am seriously considering the MCS 20 in the spring. Does it require the installation of the independent lift system for the mower deck? Or can it operate with the mower deck being attached to the traditional 3pt lift system?
The MCS20 mounts on the 3pt arms. Technically you don't need the independent lift as long as you don't have a problem with the MCS20 going up and down every time you raise and lower your mower deck.

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
MCS 20 uses a electric dump feature Just set You depth stop On the lift lever so Your 3point wont Move.
https://superior-tech.com/material-collection-systems.html

Though the Independent lift it is well worth it on the 1025R
:bigthumb:

Attachments

Reactions: TJR345

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Good question. I have the Independent Lift, so I don't have any direct experience. As Chessetrain stated, the MCS20 will travel up/down with the mower deck, which shouldn't be an issue.

If the deck will lower to the mowing height without the MCS20 dropping too low, you could utilized the depth stop that is in the 3pt lever traveling slot to prevent the MCS20 from dropping any lower once the mower deck is at the cutting height, as Sergeant alluded to. If the MCS20 is too low at mowing height, there is a heavy, slotted, link arm that connects the mower deck rockshaft to the 3-point rockshaft. It's length is adjustable. So if the MCS20 is dropping too low when the deck is at cutting height, you may be able to adjust this link to yield a higher MCS20 position when at mowing height.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for your interest in our Material Collection System! We designed this MCS to work with both the standard and independent 3-point lift systems. When you lower the 3-point arms with the standard system on a 1025R, there's sufficient travel/distance between when the deck goes down and when the MCS does, too. In other words, the bottom portion of the 3-point lever controls the 3-point arms while the top end will control both the 3-point arms and the mower deck. With adjustments to the the Mower Deck Control Knob and setting the stop on the lever's slot where the deck stops, you'll have no trouble.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to give our Customer Service team a call at 888-867-2238.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but why not click'n'go for the 1R series? Just remove the three point arms, and the mechanical lift linkage will still work from the rockshaft.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but why not click'n'go for the 1R series? Just remove the three point arms, and the mechanical lift linkage will still work from the rockshaft.

My understanding is the click'n'go is a 3 bag MCS the MCS 20 is a hopper which you can dump from the seat. I considered replacing my X585 with a 1025R but the only collection system available at the time was a 3 bag hopper unless I went aftermarket. If I went aftermarket I couldn't roll it into 0% for 60mo. I dump my leaves and clippings in a compost pile so going from the cart on my X585 to a 3 bag hopper slows down dumping. It is find if you are transporting offsite but for me it adds work. I wanted a dump from seat collection system. So in my case I ended up keeping the X585 for the FEL and snow removal. Then went with a Z950R with the Dump From Seat MCS.

If you are asking from the perspective of why Superior Tech made it to work with a 3pt hitch vs the click and go. Well, look at it form their perspective. They originally designed and built this looking for the largest compatibility. John Deere's click and go is only on their machine. 3pt hitches are available on just about anything.

Had this been available about a year earlier it would have been a harder decision on if I would have traded in the X585 on a 1 series or gone the way I did. When I bought the only thing that made sense was the X585 and Z950R.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The attached pdf says MCS 20 works with X700 via click'N'go. Why can't a guy get a click'N'go setup for a 1R family tractor? Thanks for sharing your cart, 585, FEL, and Z950 setup though. It sounds like a more elegant solution than a simple leaf collection hopper added to tractor I already have.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
The attached pdf says MCS 20 works with X700 via click'N'go. Why can't a guy get a click'N'go setup for a 1R family tractor? Thanks for sharing your cart, 585, FEL, and Z950 setup though. It sounds like a more elegant solution than a simple leaf collection hopper added to tractor I already have.

Ahh. I see what you are saying. I didn't know they had fitted it to the X7xx machines. A while back I was at my dealer and saw a MCS 20 on the floor but they didn't have any 1 series in stock to have it mounted to anything. The X7xx might be a newer option.

For me a big factor is I use the FEL for moving my compost pile and push back the leaves as I am collecting them. Never ran a 1 series but I would imagine it has the same issues as a X585 with a FEL. It adds too much out front of the machine to get around the trees and raises the CG too much for safely cutting across a hill like going down the ditch. While it doesn't take long to hook up or remove a FEL, it still is extra steps. Ultimately had the MCS 20 been available when was shopping and ended up with my Z950R, I would have had a harder decision but if I really looked at it hard, I would have likely made the same choice. Though the MCS 20 has a bit more capacity and the electric dump would be nice. It was too much more to step up to the Z997 in order to get that.

If it were me and I had a 1025R and was looking at adding a MCS. I would add the independent lift. More so because I find it frustrating at times to have the mower deck height tied to the 3pt in the cases where I have the deck on the X585 and something on the 3pt. It is worse on my machine because the dump on my FEL is also tied to the same control unless I lock out the deck and or 3pt.

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts

Problem is you could Probably Modify something on the 1 series so the Top Brackets of a click N go could fit but the Bottom of the attachment wouldn't reach The Pins it has to rest On There would be a lot needed Just to get the Click n Go bracket On the Machine I have Both a 1 series and a X748. My X748 has Click N Go Brackets On it which Mounts On the outside of the 3 point Rocker shaft. The 1 series & the X465 thru X758 are Just Not the same In the Rear end :bigthumb:

Here is what I use On My X748 a MC 519 Cart & Power flow. But My Cart has Hydraulic dump Like these Pictured Below(picture are Not of My Tractor But the Place That designed the Kit)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Having utilized both the MC519 behind the 455 and the MCS20 behind the 1025R, I find the 3-point attachment much better. The MC519 couldn't be backed up on top of the dump/compost pile much at all---as it tended to plow into it and if pushed too far, you couldn't get the hopper open. As such, the dump/compost pile spread out and/or you had to double back with a FEL, or something similar, and condense the dump/compost pile. It took a fair amount of extra time.

The other issue I encountered with attempting to back the MC519 into the dump/compost pile is often one side or the other of the click-n-go hitch would become disconnected.

In comparison, the MCS20 does or can be positioned up much higher via the 3-point lift capabilities. As such, it is not "plowing" into the dump/compost pile, but travels aver the top of it as the wide surface area of the 1025R rear tires tended to climb over the dump/compost pile rather than "plow" through it. Additionally, even if the tractor plowed into the pile, the manner in which the MCS20 hopper opens does not have it pushing against or attempting to move the pile to open. In consideration of these factors, it allowed me to create a much higher dump/compost pile rather than it spreading out, negating the need to come back and condense the pile with the FEL.

·
Premium Member
9,186 Posts
Having utilized both the MC519 behind the 455 and the MCS20 behind the 1025R, I find the 3-point attachment much better. The MC519 couldn't be backed up on top of the dump/compost pile much at all---as it tended to plow into it and if pushed too far, you couldn't get the hopper open. As such, the dump/compost pile spread out and/or you had to double back with a FEL, or something similar, and condense the dump/compost pile. It took a fair amount of extra time.

The other issue I encountered with attempting to back the MC519 into the dump/compost pile is often one side or the other of the click-n-go hitch would become disconnected.

In comparison, the MCS20 does or can be positioned up much higher via the 3-point lift capabilities. As such, it is not "plowing" into the dump/compost pile, but travels aver the top of it as the wide surface area of the 1025R rear tires tended to climb over the dump/compost pile rather than "plow" through it. Additionally, even if the tractor plowed into the pile, the manner in which the MCS20 hopper opens does not have it pushing against or attempting to move the pile to open. In consideration of these factors, it allowed me to create a much higher dump/compost pile rather than it spreading out, negating the need to come back and condense the pile with the FEL.

I always just backed the MC519 cart into the pile then pulled forward a foot or two after pushing well into the debris pile and reached back and dumped it. If you plow it into the pile and don't pull it forward so the back of the cart can pivot down to empty, it would be difficult to empty.

A trick to emptying a very full MC519 cart is to first release the upper lid cover handle and pull the cover handle towards you, manually lifting the upper cover, as it makes dumping the entire cart much easier. You can dump the cart without doing this, but it usually requires more lifting on the lower lift handle. The entire cart opens like a giant clam shell and then makes dumping a very full MC cart easier.

Another useful tip when using these is to reach back occasionally and tap on the upper part of the cart cover with your hand, which is the flexible black material, as you are using it so you can feel when the cart is getting full. If you overfill these collection carts, you end up having to disconnect the deck mounted bower, remove the chute and empty it, manually clean out all of the clogged blower rotor vanes, it's a messy hassle.

Instead, keep tapping your hand occasionally on the top soft part of the cart cover and when you can feel the clippings or debris in the upper part of the cart, it's time to stop and empty. If you fill to the point of plugging it, it's a hassle to unplug everything and it's much easier to stop just a pass or two sooner and empty the cart to avoid plugging. We all usually learn this the hard way over time.......:laugh:

The springs and fasteners on my MC Cart Hitch would weaken over time and I would either replace them or just tighten the bolt and nuts a few turns with a socket and matching combination wrench I carry in the tool box for the 455 to keep the hitch tight. Please note, This is the MC Cart hitch style prior to the click and Go system used on the newer X series machines. If you see a used MC Cart for sale, make sure it has the correct style hitch for your machine as this hitch has evolved over time, while the actual MC cart itself hasn't changed very much.

It's best to not have to manually handle the MC cart when full of dense grass as it's very tough to handle. To avoid this happening, after the first few times of struggling with a partially detached cart full of fresh, dense grass, I just made it a practice to tighten the spring hitch bolts and that eliminated any connection problems. Yes, it adds another step and a few seconds to the hitching and unhitching, but it sure beats wrestling a full cart of fresh damp grass. If you tighten down the springs on the hitch point bolts, the MC cart is not coming off.

Also, I help a neighbor clean his fall leaves up and he has a bunch of exposed roots which makes his yard very rough and bumpy. Driving over the roots would also cause the MC cart to work loose if the bolts weren't tightened, so I just began to tighten them down every time I hooked it up, just to avoid the hassles which come from a partially unhooked an loaded cart. I have never had the tightened cart hitch come loose under any circumstances.

I was surprised by the number of people who I have seen over the years who don't always empty the carts and then blow them out when open with a hand held or back pack blower when they are done using them for the day. Instead, there are a surprising number of people who would put the tractor and MC519 cart away with the cart partially full of grass. When you look at used MC carts and you open them up and the inside is rusty or missing all of the paint, it's usually because they weren't fully emptied or cleaned well before storing after each use.

Once the inside of the cart starts to rust, it's dump / emptying efficiency plummets as the grass and debris stick inside the cart to unpainted, usually rusting surfaces. Clearly, more of the used MC carts I have looked at over the years experienced this at some point as many were rusty inside...................My MC Cart, even after over 20 years of heavy use, still is painted inside and dumps fine. So, for anyone looking at a used MC cart, make sure to look at the inside of the cart to make sure it's not all rusty. Otherwise, it's going to require you to sand and repaint the inside with several coats of paint to get it dumping correctly and fully each time.

I have no experience with the MCS20 as I don't mow with my 1 series. But the 3 point hitch is clearly superior in just about every way imaginable, especially with the lift ability and even more so, when using the IMatch system.

Clearly, the John Deere hitch system, even when requiring a turn or two with the socket to keep the hitch tight, is a FAR BETTER system than the tow behind debris collection systems sold by most companies which use a trailer type hitch and vehicle. It's impossible to jack knife the MC Cart and it follows you everywhere, just allow a little more turning room when you are mowing tight areas as the cart will swing directly behind the tractor when turning tight and the extra 4 or 5 feet of the cart and hitch length require just a bit of consideration.

The nice part is anyone can drive these when correctly attached and they don't need to know how to properly back up a traditional trailer set up with the pivoting style hitch. Overall, it's a very good design and works well.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for all the great information. I have used a GT235 with a cyclone rake for 20 years and it has been awesome. My initial intention was to attach the cyclone rake to the 1025r, but the overall length of the unit and the fabrication required just doesn't seem worth it. So, I am considering the MCS 20 in the spring. Having said that the cost of the unit combined with the cost of the powerflow may be cost prohibitive when I still have the 235 and cyclone rake I can use. We will see.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I have a PBR in Beerngineering :good2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ordered an MCS 20 complete with power flow and all the mounting brackets from my dealer yesterday. I will be retiring my GT 235 and Cyclone Rake in the coming weeks. Both have been AWESOME units that have served me well for over 20 years.

There is a 15% MCS discount running right now. My dealer wasn’t sure if it applied to Superior Tech equipment so he split the difference. I’m happy with the deal. I will be installing the unit.

I will post some pictures of the installation process.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I ordered an MCS 20 complete with power flow and all the mounting brackets from my dealer yesterday. I will be retiring my GT 235 and Cyclone Rake in the coming weeks. Both have been AWESOME units that have served me well for over 20 years.

There is a 15% MCS discount running right now. My dealer wasn’t sure if it applied to Superior Tech equipment so he split the difference. I’m happy with the deal. I will be installing the unit.

I will post some pictures of the installation process.
I believe you did well. Typically, those JD promos do not apply to non-JD manufactured items, with the exception of Frontier. When I purchased my second 1025R, they still had the two implement/attachment promo running. My two choices were the mower deck and the MCS20, but the MCS20 didn't qualify. So I ended up doing the snow blower, though I was going to need the MCS20 before it. I bought the MCS20 a month later as I sold off my 455s and their attachments.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe you did well. Typically, those JD promos do not apply to non-JD manufactured items, with the exception of Frontier. When I purchased my second 1025R, they still had the two implement/attachment promo running. My two choices were the mower deck and the MCS20, but the MCS20 didn't qualify. So I ended up doing the snow blower, though I was going to need the MCS20 before it. I bought the MCS20 a month later as I sold off my 455s and their attachments.
What are your thoughts on the MCS 20? The videos make it look like a great unit.

The one thing I will miss with my GT 235/cyclone setup is the front mounted thatcher. I am going to fabricate a front mounted one for my 1025r. I like thatching my lawn in the spring, I think it makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
What are your thoughts on the MCS 20? The videos make it look like a great unit.

The one thing I will miss with my GT 235/cyclone setup is the front mounted thatcher. I am going to fabricate a front mounted one for my 1025r. I like thatching my lawn in the spring, I think it makes a difference.

I utilized it last fall for leaves, which I have a boat load off. Worked great. I used it with the standard blades that came with 54" deck. It didn't seem to chop the leaves up as well as my 455 w/MC519, but I had Gator blades in that deck.

If your GT235 hand the JD dethatcher, you may want to checkout the front Quick Hitch mount a fellow, here, in MN, manufactures. I purchased one to move the de-thatcher from my 455 to the front Quick Hitch of my 1025Rs. I haven't tried it, as I purchased it a month or so ago. Here is a link to the discussion of it on the MTF forum:

*Quick hitch De-thatcher attachment* - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

Within the MTF link, there is a link a YouTube video a fellow made of it, also.

I purchased it direct from dternus, rather than going through eBay. He discounted it $10.00 for the ebay fees we saved.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It’s here. Now to read the installation instructions...

I am a bit surprised at the plastic in the power flow. I thought the blower fan would have been some special rubber like the cyclone rake.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts