Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I ordered the MCS 20 bagger system for my 1025r. It is an expensive setup (north of $3k) that I purchased as the final piece to replace the cyclone rake and GT235 i used to mow with. I now mow with my 1025r.

I have had the MCS (material collection system) system for a year almost to the day. After having it for a year, I am not so sure it shouldn't be called the MBS (material blower system) 20. There are times it works pretty well. There are times that the system creates a turbulent at the Powerflow intake that causes a strong enough wind to push all the material out from in front of the mower. In fact, don't even try to pickup scattered spring leaves left over from fall, the blower will blow them away from the collection unit faster than you can vacuum them up.

I know other people have this challenge. Has anyone developed a solution that reduces this problem? Has anyone gone to Superior Tech and gotten a response about this ongoing issue?

I love the integrated system that ties into the three point and is simple to hook up. But the fairly constant blowing of what your trying to pickup... Is frustrating. Overall well built product with a gremlin that is a pain in the a**.

·
Premium Member
5,530 Posts
Last year I ordered the MCS 20 bagger system for my 1025r. It is an expensive setup (north of $3k) that I purchased as the final piece to replace the cyclone rake and GT235 i used to mow with. I now mow with my 1025r.

I have had the MCS (material collection system) system for a year almost to the day. After having it for a year, I am not so sure it shouldn't be called the MBS (material blower system) 20. There are times it works pretty well. There are times that the system creates a turbulent at the Powerflow intake that causes a strong enough wind to push all the material out from in front of the mower. In fact, don't even try to pickup scattered spring leaves left over from fall, the blower will blow them away from the collection unit faster than you can vacuum them up.

I know other people have this challenge. Has anyone developed a solution that reduces this problem? Has anyone gone to Superior Tech and gotten a response about this ongoing issue?

I love the integrated system that ties into the three point and is simple to hook up. But the fairly constant blowing of what your trying to pickup... Is frustrating. Overall well built product with a gremlin that is a pain in the a**.
Superior builds the collection unit, Deere the power flow. The fix is called the TKV-20 by Terra KIng.

TerraKing | TKV 20

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I don't recall which mower deck you have paired with it. I have the 54D deck and about the only time I have an issue is when the hopper is full and I plugged the chute. There are some additional baffle plates to be added to the mower deck that are included in the powerflow kit. If you didn't install yours, you may want to check to see if they were omitted.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the 54D and all the baffle plates are installed. It works pretty well with grass when mowing. The most frustrating is during leaf pickup. It blows the leaves, sitting on the ground on the right side of the deck, out of the way before they get sucked up.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I kind of figured everything was in place, as from reading your other posts, you are on top of things. Pretty much all I utilize mine for is leaves. Other than when the chute is plugged, the only other instance where it blows some leaves out the front is when I'm picking them up off the concrete driveway.

What height do you have the mower deck set at when you're doing leaves? With the grass species that will survive MN winters, I do my normal summer mowing at 2.5"---which is considered a long cut here. When I do leaves in the fall, I lower the cut height to 2", which is what the experts recommend over the winter. I hand rake the yard in the spring, before the grass begins to grow. So the short fall cut makes that an easier job, also.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I kind of figured everything was in place, as from reading your other posts, you are on top of things. Pretty much all I utilize mine for is leaves. Other than when the chute is plugged, the only other instance where it blows some leaves out the front is when I'm picking them up off the concrete driveway.

What height do you have the mower deck set at when you're doing leaves? With the grass species that will survive MN winters, I do my normal summer mowing at 2.5"---which is considered a long cut here. When I do leaves in the fall, I lower the cut height to 2", which is what the experts recommend over the winter. I hand rake the yard in the spring, before the grass begins to grow. So the short fall cut makes that an easier job, also.
I'm probably in the same 2.5" ballpark. Since you brought up cut height, does anyone know if there is a mowing height dial decal retrofit? One that shows cut height? My 1025r is a 2016 and has the old dial decal that shows L M H. I think they have since upgraded it.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
None of them correspond to actual height or even try. I would think there would be too many variables to match them up.

When I setup my mower deck and adjusted the linkage for an even cut, when completed with that, I utilized the gauge to measure the 2" and 2.5 cut heights. I them put index marks on the dial label for each of those heights with a permanent marker.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Does the blowout get worse as the collection system gets full? Maybe the powerflow is having trouble pushing air/clippings up the chute and that's why it blows more under the deck? Perhaps emptying more often would resolve?

Rob

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I don't recall which mower deck you have paired with it. I have the 54D deck and about the only time I have an issue is when the hopper is full and I plugged the chute. There are some additional baffle plates to be added to the mower deck that are included in the powerflow kit. If you didn't install yours, you may want to check to see if they were omitted.
The 60HC deck on my x758 has powerflow kit installed but the deck doesn't have any baffles underneath. Just the parts that allow the powerflow to connect to the deck side.

Rob

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
What type of blades are you using. If you have standard blades you may need the high lift blades. Air flow is important around the hopper,be sure you have good airflow from empty to full.
Be sure your belt is on right,it will run backwards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been very disappointed with mine too, I've got no help from deere or dealers. I have talked to several dealers, I have fabricated skirts around the front of my deck, several different types and sizes, 4 different sets of blades , gator blades seem to help some ,it doesn't matter, I had a kubota 20 years with a vaccume that was much better. I even went back to the guy I sold it too to do some research, in my opinion and many others the big difference is in the deck. The auto connect deck is much thinner. Not enough vaccume area ,I touched out to customer service and got the form letter response "contact dealer" I did,even made a video, now I've been looking at the 2025r with the iron 7 deck it is about an inch and a quarter deeper and looks a lot smoother, I emailed deere over the weekend about any trade assistance my 1025r has 63 hours, this system is very important to me and I am very disappointed if deere wont help I will probably go orange and keep the mcs and quick hitch, I feel your pain,

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
What type of blades are you using. If you have standard blades you may need the high lift blades. Air flow is important around the hopper,be sure you have good airflow from empty to full. Be sure your belt is on right,it will run backwards.
I have Oregon Gator G6 blades on a 54D mower deck.

After mowing last night, I feel strongly the powerflow between the deck and the MCS hopper just isn't adequate to handle the material a 54" deck can throw at it. I am very aware of its short comings and drive appropriately. I still clog the chute a number of times on just grass. My yard is thick nice grass, but still. My Cyclone rake performed much better at the chute than this setup does.

After owning the MCS 20, there is NO WAY I would put it on a 60" deck. Too much material for the powerflow system.

The Superior Tech MCS unit by itself is a VERY nice piece of equipment. Stainless steel construction and very well built. It all comes down to the plastic JD Powerflow system. Its capabilities don't match the power or ability of the 1025r. People that buy this unit for $3k + have nice lawns with thick grass and trees with leaves. The powerflow functionality is aligned with the person that has a yard with thin sparse grass that has zero trees that drop leaves....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Superior builds the collection unit, Deere the power flow. The fix is called the TKV-20 by Terra KIng.

TerraKing | TKV 20
has anyone ever done a comparison of the Deere MCS 20 versus the TerraKing TVK 20? I see a lots of complaints about blowout on the Deere model, some mention of diverter plates. Running off the PTO (TKV) seem better design?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts