Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of my family's favorite most requested comfort food, adapted from my mom's recipe and now she likes my version better :thumbup1gif:

For the Loaf:​
2 lbs ground meat (all beef or 1 lb 97% beef and 1 lb pork)​
1 C quick oatmeal​
2 eggs beaten​
8 oz can tomato sauce​
½ C finely chopped onion​
1 tsp salt​
¼ tsp barbecue spice (more or less as based upon your tastes)​
¼ tsp pepper​
.​
For Glaze:​
¼ C brown sugar​
¼ C ketchup​
1 T prepared yellow mustard​

Preheat oven to 350°
Combine all "Loaf" ingredients, and mix well.
Place in a 8"x11" baking dish, shape into a loaf (one or two loaves, our family prefers one) it works best to make the loaf wide and long rather than tall, it cooks more evenly.
Bake for 1:15
Combine the glaze ingredients and spread over the top of the loaf(s)
Bake an additional 15 minutes. With a thermometer verify that the internal temperature is 165°

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
You know where this was added. :thumbup1gif:

·
Corndog Hater
11,243 Posts
This sounds delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe. I think I am going to try this maybe my boys will like it better than mine. They used to like mine......same for my homemade meatballs

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This sounds delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe. I think I am going to try this maybe my boys will like it better than mine. They used to like mine......same for my homemade meatballs
I hope they enjoy it. I believe the secret is finding the "right" bar-b-que seasoning. I have a no-label brand I purchased years ago that has a hint of cinnamon in it, just enough to taste but not overpowering. It an unexpected in the flavor profile. The hamburger/ground pork combination is just right in my opinion.

Please report back. I have to make a double batch in a couple hours, I'll snap some pictures.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
One of my family's favorite most requested comfort food, adapted from my mom's recipe and now she likes my version better :thumbup1gif:

For the Loaf:​
2 lbs ground meat (all beef or 1 lb 97% beef and 1 lb pork)​
1 C quick oatmeal​
2 eggs beaten​
8 oz can tomato sauce​
½ C finely chopped onion​
1 tsp salt​
¼ tsp barbecue spice (more or less as based upon your tastes)​
¼ tsp pepper​
.​
For Glaze:​
¼ C brown sugar​
¼ C ketchup​
1 T prepared yellow mustard​

Preheat oven to 350°
Combine all "Loaf" ingredients, and mix well.
Place in a 8"x11" baking dish, shape into a loaf (one or two loaves, our family prefers one) it works best to make the loaf wide and long rather than tall, it cooks more evenly.
Bake for 1:15
Combine the glaze ingredients and spread over the top of the loaf(s)
Bake an additional 15 minutes. With a thermometer verify that the internal temperature is 165°
Ahh, yumm!! Always loved meat loaf growing up. A comfort food like you said and it makes great cold sandwiches if there's any left. Don't have it so much but this will trigger a request to Carol. :nunu: . . . . :laugh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts