Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,406 Posts
I just bought a harbor freight one actually works pretty good, storage on the side, almost want to say best one I’ve been on.
And another thing, in the storage area on the side I write with the sharpie the sizes of all the drain plugs on equipment I have so when I roll under I have then right size wrench. :laugh:. Even have the size of zturn mower blade bolts.
My brother has one of those HF creepers and after some use the plastic cracked around the wheels and it no longer rolls around.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I havent but one of the guys at work has been bragging to anyone that willl listen that its the best thing he has ever used. Im waiting for him to bring it in so I can try it but....this friend of mine doesnt get impressed easily.

·
Premium Member
8,443 Posts
What Im going to say is sacrilegious.

In my 40 years of wrenching, Ive tried them all, from $19 Craftsman to the $150 top of the line bone ones (and I'll even admit to spending even more for those that had adjustable headrests, cushioned, etc etc etc) ...... and I'll take a clean 2'x4' piece of cardboard over any of them.
:bigthumb:

Not a pro, but cardboard works. If your on gravel a sheet of plywood with a piece of cardboard on top works.

Also works good to kneel on. Saves the knees in your pants.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a couple Snap-on padded creepers that I bought probably 25 years ago, nearly identical to this Williams creeper. They've seen a ton of use and the wheels were beginning to get bad on one so I changed them to these energy suspension wheels. The first time I rolled on it I almost hurt myself because it rolled so easily. Sometimes it almost rolls too easily, but I still always reach for that one first. These were and still are really great creepers, with or without the new wheels.

·
Premium Member
11,406 Posts

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
my go to creeper is red neck hill billy card board on cement floor.:good2:

back when i had my truck and everything was done outside--i too used a 4 by 8 sheet of plywood-sanded on one side-i painted it also. used that for the entire time i had truck and trailer-worked great for laying on the ground.

being a bigger person i had to use 2 sets of car ramps-one for the front wheels-plus a set for the rear wheels-if i wanted to do say exhaust work-why 2 sets of car ramps-well:unknown:i just could not fit under the car or my half ton pick up truck-belly got in the way:lol:

i got lots and lots of spare card board in the garage--and as toughsox said its great for oil leaks too-just burn it when its too bad then.:good2:

Gizmo2---just get ya some good card board-its cheap(free:good2:) a fridg. card board will last a long time-as its heavier than other pieces.
u can thank me later this fall-ok:mocking:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks all, good comments from all (reality check).
I've never owned a creeper, I have used them many years ago but always ended up using card board or nothing. Past couple of years I've been using a 2' x 5' workout matter that I roll up after I'm done. The problem with the workout mat is you can never get the curl completely out on the ends which makes it a PITA to use.

I guess the fact of the matter is old age sucks and cardboard is the tried, tested and proven way to go.

·
Administrator
17,551 Posts

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
Thanks all, good comments from all (reality check).
I've never owned a creeper, I have used them many years ago but always ended up using card board or nothing. Past couple of years I've been using a 2' x 5' workout matter that I roll up after I'm done. The problem with the workout mat is you can never get the curl completely out on the ends which makes it a PITA to use.

I guess the fact of the matter is old age sucks and cardboard is the tried, tested and proven way to go.
Don't rule out the option of building another bay on the garage with a higher roof so you can install a lift.:hide:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Don't rule out the option of building another bay on the garage with a higher roof so you can install a lift.:hide:
I told the wife a few days ago, "Having a garage and no lift is just plain stupid". I'm a dumba$$. :lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I guess i don't get it? It looks like it only rolls in one axis, so you could slide in and out only? That may work in some cases, but it seems very limiting.
The material bunching up would drive me nuts. I can just see myself losing a wrench in the folds.

·
Administrator
20,476 Posts
I guess i don't get it? It looks like it only rolls in one axis, so you could slide in and out only? That may work in some cases, but it seems very limiting.
IDK, most times when I go under, I don’t move all about the country. I go right to what I need and come back out? :dunno:

·
Registered
4,239 Posts

·
Registered
22,059 Posts
I have a step up from the cardboard -

I have a couple sheets of what I can Masonite. It’s about the thickness of wood paneling but with a very smooth surface. I can slide in and out with this easily on my wood plank barn floor.

Anything with wheels just will not work on my floor.

Besides that - I have trouble getting up and down anyway. For me getting on and off a creeper would be similar to getting on and off a hammock. I have to make about 5 different moves to get down and get up - usually with the aid of something to hold on to. Anything on wheels is just going to skitter out from under me.

704D403C-9A4D-4BF6-B3D3-772A66DBAA7F.jpeg

·
Premium Member
7,589 Posts
OK for serious now:

We have an older Craftsmen creeper that works just "OK", when I replace it, it will probably be with one of these:

The Bone Creepers - Our Products
I want to try one too.

I have a couple Snap-on padded creepers that I bought probably 25 years ago, nearly identical to this Williams creeper. They've seen a ton of use and the wheels were beginning to get bad on one so I changed them to these energy suspension wheels. The first time I rolled on it I almost hurt myself because it rolled so easily. Sometimes it almost rolls too easily, but I still always reach for that one first. These were and still are really great creepers, with or without the new wheels.
I got a Snap On creeper back when I was working and thought nothing of spending big bucks on tools. But I usually grab cardboard. :hide:

The material bunching up would drive me nuts. I can just see myself losing a wrench in the folds.
Are you talking about the sweat pants you like to wear? :laugh::laugh::mocking:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I have a beautiful creeper, probably Craftsman,, I got it a month after I poured the concrete shop floor in 1999,

I have used many over 60 years, the one I have now is the best I have ever seen,, BUT,,,
I hung it up on the wall one day, and used a sheet of cardboard the next time,,
the creeper has never been taken off the wall since,, the cardboard is that much better than the creeper

The switch to cardboard happened about 10 years ago,,

I just ordered the Magic Creeper off of eBay,, $26 is WAY better than Amazon's price,,:yahoo:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I have three different creepers now. When I started out, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth (according to my daughters), I had a wood "Jeepers Creeper" with steel wheels. I didn't care for it as eventually the wood would let go and the wheels were problematic. More over, I usually wear a shop coat rather than coveralls, so the tails of the shop coat would caught under the steel wheels and they would cut holes in them.

One day, while in the local NAPA store, I saw this creeper. It was obviously much better than the wood creeper and it came home with me. I've had it for over 20+ years and it has held up well--even when I partially ran over it--though it did require a bit of frame straightening. Not one of my finer moments. To qualify, I don't utilize a creeper daily, more like once a month, if that.

DSCN0745.JPG

During my career years, we installed a lot of radio equipment in heavy equipment and large trucks. Almost always, this is done on-site, and with that, rarely in a shop area, but usually in the truck barn. The floors usually had a good base coat of dirt, small rocks and other obstacles that my NAPA creeper would not roll over. Our invoices were typically high enough that I couldn't add time to clean the floor. So when I ran across this "all-terrain creeper" I purchased it for just that environment. It has large diameter pneumatic tires that will over such obstacles. It rolls too easy, as often when you need some muscle to break loose a fastener, you just push your self away. That was pretty rare in what we did. The other con was the tires all had slow leaks. So you had to air them up before we left for the job site.

In my later career years, I became cranky, not nearly so hungry for business, and shop foremans did not want to incur my wrath (I'd quit bringing donuts). So I became rather insistent about not working on a frozen popsicle requiring the trucks/equipment be in the shop the night before my arrival so they were warm and dripped off. I really whine when I have to work in a dungeon (poor lighting) and I hate to use trouble lights any more than absolutely necessary. So I haven't utilized the "all terrain creeper" in years.

DSCN0744.JPG

This other Craftsman creeper is similar to the NAPA. It is a bit shorter, but comparable otherwise.

DSCN0743.JPG

I still have three carpet sample mat, 2' x 4', that I use to save the knees and the knees in the pants. I use them primarily for kneeing, such as brake jobs, and not to often lay on.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I still have 2 creepers, an old black plastic one that sags in the middle with only 4 wheels on it and one of the Harbor Freight ones. I rarely use them as the only hard surface I have is in the garage and it us usually full of other projects. Besides, there isn't a lot of clearance to begin with and the creeper uses up a bunch of it. Cardboard is good, I like the masonite idea. I have some old hardboard that is too ratty to build anything with but makes a good disposable slider board if I need one. Frankly, I usually just crawl under and get it done as most tasks I do now are quickies.

And yes getting old is a PITA, but considering the alternative I'll put up with it for a while longer. It just takes longer to do things. Sometimes a lot longer.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts