Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
Amazing amateur video taken 67 years ago in Hawaii . Where were you on August 14th 1945??? Unfortunately, most Americans living today will never be able to truly relate to the joy, jubilation, sense of relief and victory after a very long war and the loss of 418,000 military personnel. Over 60 million people worldwide were killed during the second world war----the greatest number of deaths every recorded in any war. Americans fought many wars over the past 200 years to preserve our freedoms, values, and way of life.
JUST THINK HOW THIS YOUNG LADY FELT WHEN SHE DISCOVERED THE FILM HER FATHER SHOT.

Great film of a Spontaneous Victory Parade in Honolulu in 1945. Take a look at this video-absolutely fabulous! Notice the cars and jeeps, youth. The guys in khaki or gray shirts and black ties are Navy officers or chiefs. The rest are Army or Marine. How young they all were to do what they did. This guy really captured a moment in history! (You can listen to Jimmy Durante singing "I'll be Seeing You" in the background, too.) This is a super video of a time past - we need to remember and be THANKFUL. Check out the color fidelity. It's not bad for 1945. Nothing will ever compare with Kodachrome film.

Registered
Three months before I was born. My Dad was stationed at Keesler Field in Mississippi after completing his combat tour in Europe. We cannot imagine what the world would be like without the brave Americans and our allies who fought WWII. Today, the parade participants would probably be arrested for staging a parade without a permit.

Don

PS to Admin: We need an American Flag icon along with the smileys.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #3
Don,
With both of us being in the military at one time, we know what an awesome feeling it is to return home, either from the field or from an overseas duty. I can't imagine the feeling of joy and relief they felt on V-J and V-E days. I prayed there will never be a war like WWII, though I'm sure the conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan has been horrendous and may be on par with WWII.

Registered
I remember very well the day I left for Vietnam when my Dad told me that he thought that WWII would make it so his son would not have to go to war. I thought the same thing, but my son completed two deployments to the middle east and I another to Kosovo. It doesn't end, T-Mo. The young Americans who have fought in Iraq and Afghanistan deserve a big thanks and all that the country can do for them. I am afraid that we are letting them down. You are correct - the feeling of coming home is the best.

Don

Administrator
PS to Admin: We need an American Flag icon along with the smileys.
As requested:

:usa and for our neighbors up North :canada

Thanks Brain:good2:

Registered
Thanks. You guys are alright.:usa

Premium Member
Great video! Hawaii is such a beautiful place. I love all the people just piled on cars and rocking it parade style!

-636 :usa

Registered
I was nowhere around, but my grandmother (mom's mom) loved to tell the story of how she thought the church bells were ringing because my mom was born, but in reality it was because the war had ended. So while I wasn't there, I always remember the date. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts