1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yes, I tried them on a 60 belly mower that was on my 650 years ago. In short it didn't work good. I blamed it on a couple things, lack of horsepower and the relatively slow turning blades. If I recall those blades on that deck ran somewhere around 12,000 fpm and I felt there just wasn't enough centrifugal force developed on the swinging blades to keep them extended even in light dry mowing conditions. They might work better on a commercial mower deck that moved the blade tip at a much higher fpm.
Chalked that expense up as a total loss.

·
Premium Member
8,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks PaDave!

I would be using them on a Z915 ZTR, 60" deck.

At $270 plus shipping I don't want to experiment with that much cost so I thought I throw it out here and see if anyone else had used them.

They claim that they mulch, but with the blade design I am not seeing "how".

·
Registered
553 Posts
They claim that they mulch, but with the blade design I am not seeing "how".
Double the number of cutting edges makes for smaller clippings, according to the Meg-Mo website. They also imply better discharge, higher vacuum from the blades to raise the grass. I think having the pivoting blades doesn't work as well as it does on a brush hog, because the blades are much smaller, with less mass, so are easier to deflect by tall, thick, or wet grass, in addition to the obstacles the pivoting blades are designed for. I wonder if the blades can be tightly fastened to the central disc? They might work better in tall grass.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Double the number of cutting edges makes for smaller clippings, according to the Meg-Mo website. They also imply better discharge, higher vacuum from the blades to raise the grass. I think having the pivoting blades doesn't work as well as it does on a brush hog, because the blades are much smaller, with less mass, so are easier to deflect by tall, thick, or wet grass, in addition to the obstacles the pivoting blades are designed for. I wonder if the blades can be tightly fastened to the central disc? They might work better in tall grass.

Even on a full size Bush Hog, tall grass will bog down the mower more than brush. I've had our IH986 groan when running a 15' batwing into thick heavy grass when it walks right through saplings and brush. At some point, it's just hard to clear all the debris from under the deck even with a full rear discharge. That's when it's time to raise the mower up and run over it twice.

I do like the idea of a swinging blade because it absorbs some of the shock if you hit a root or something hard but you are right, cutting is totally dependent on keeping rotational speed high enough for the blades to fully extend.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I tried a set of these several years ago on my Kubota commercial ZTR and I found no advantages whatsoever over conventional blades. Also one thing I really disliked about them was they were really noisy. An expensive lesson learned for me, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
8,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you speferdil.

If I am gonna waste my money, there are lots of other things to do it on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts