Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While many will get a 3 day weekend, and will have plans for grilling and fun, please give pause and remember the real reason for the holiday. Many gave the ultimate sacrifice, and we are blessed to have so many willing to serve today. May we always remember them, and thank them, for the chance to enjoy the time and festivities the freedom they bought us allows.

Make it a true MEMORIAL Day, and everyone stay safe, as well!

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
While many will get a 3 day weekend, and will have plans for grilling and fun, please give pause and remember the real reason for the holiday. Many gave the ultimate sacrifice, and we are blessed to have so many willing to serve today. May we always remember them, and thank them, for the chance to enjoy the time and festivities the freedom they bought us allows.

Amen.

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
If you live in a small town, like I think most of us do, that has a Memorial Day ceremony, try to attend. The participants will appreciate your attendance. Your heart will swell with pride dut to the fact that you have shown your appreciation for those who died for the cause of freedom.

Remember, every place in the world today where freedom rings, an American Soldier has once stood. :usa

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts

Well put, AMEN!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Happy Memorial Day weekend to all. I want to share something. This is what I have on my lock screen on my cell phone.

"Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty......that he will not be forgotten or abandoned."

"Poor is the nation that has no heroes.........Shameful is the one that, having them.......forgets."

RIP my brothers in arms............I salute you all.

·
Premium Member
9,077 Posts
May there always be brave souls who will stand to defend their country.

God bless those who faced peril so that all may be free.

:usa:

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
Thank yous to all the veterans who sacrificed so much for our freedoms, our way of life, and our liberties. The veteran put his life on the line, gave up the comforts that we enjoy, faced death or loss of limb, traveled to lands that didn't want him there, goes infinite amount of time with little or no sleep, eats cold meals when he can, walks through rain, cold, heat, sun, etc., stares at crumbled, wrinkled pictures of his family that he keeps in his wallet and longs for home, and goes through so much more that most of us can't imagine. All to serve this country, to guarantee we have the freedoms we have today. And, for the most part, those who live off the government get better benefits, better pay, better care than the veteran does.

Some may call me a veteran, but I don't. Luckily I served during a more peaceful time, though the Cold War was in full swing. But I'm ashamed to align myself with those who have combat tours under their belts. I feel I didn't pay as much of a price as those who did.

God bless our troops.

Terry Reed
SSG/E-6
Combat Engineer 12B
US Army 1978-1985

·
Administrator
20,665 Posts
Thank yous to all the veterans who sacrificed so much for our freedoms, our way of life, and our liberties. The veteran put his life on the line, gave up the comforts that we enjoy, faced death or loss of limb, traveled to lands that didn't want him there, goes infinite amount of time with little or no sleep, eats cold meals when he can, walks through rain, cold, heat, sun, etc., stares at crumbled, wrinkled pictures of his family that he keeps in his wallet and longs for home, and goes through so much more that most of us can't imagine. All to serve this country, to guarantee we have the freedoms we have today. And, for the most part, those who live off the government get better benefits, better pay, better care than the veteran does.

Some may call me a veteran, but I don't. Luckily I served during a more peaceful time, though the Cold War was in full swing. But I'm ashamed to align myself with those who have combat tours under their belts. I feel I didn't pay as much of a price as those who did.

God bless our troops.

Terry Reed
SSG/E-6
Combat Engineer 12B
US Army 1978-1985
Terry, I am like you. I didn't serve in a conflict, but I would have if needed. You are still a hero to me. Thank you sir for volunteering for others who can't or won't. My hat is off to you. :hi:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I'm ashamed to align myself with those who have combat tours under their belts. I feel I didn't pay as much of a price as those who did.

Terry, you don't need stripes on your right sleeve to stand with those of us who served in combat. I would proudly stand next to you.......and have your back anytime you need. Just the fact that you volunteered to join the greatest Army in the world makes you a true patriot. :usa

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I didn't serve in a conflict, but I would have if needed.
That says it all right there! I would proudly stand next to you too Jason. :usa

·
Premium Member
9,077 Posts
I am proud that you served.

I am glad that you didn't have to serve in combat.

You are no less of a soldier. You stand in the ranks the same as everyone else.

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
I agree with the others Terry. You volunteered, you went and did what was asked of you. You also are part of a very small percentage of Americans who choose to serve. Thank you for your service.

Over many years in the Army, I have had a lot of mothers say to me, "Not my son; he's not going to be in the military". My reply is always the same. If every mother felt the same, then whose son would protect this country? I usually get no response. I should include daughters also. I have worked with some teriffic young female Soldiers.

Thanks to all who served and thanks especially to the families of those who died.

I mentioned at the ceremony in our small town yesterday that there is one Soldier, SGT Bergdahl, who have been missing in Afghanistan since 30 June 2009. Please remember him also. The people of the US need to get as fired up about SGT Bergdahl as they are about the Nigerians. Human life is precious, regardless, but very few people are aware of SGT Bergdahl.:usa

·
Premium Member
14,702 Posts
Dad was a 2nd Ranger in WWII , I have some of the patches he kept, and photos of him in uniform over seas and at home ,but the Army and gov does not say he was a Ranger only a veteran of WWII.

In 66-69 VietNam conflict going on , yes it was a war. Dad told us boys to join a NG or USAR unit if it had been a war he would have told us to join.
My older brother spent his 6yrs I did 6yrs plus signed for another 3 but ended up doing 2 1/2 yrs. No regrets , the draft was ending and I never did get picked so I wouldn't have to join .
Yes to all our members if needed I wouldn't liked going to fight but if needed I would have.

99th ARCOM

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
My unspoken job

My wife understands now.....
It's been 8 years and I did it again on Monday morning. I got up at 0400 and headed out myself. I went to the cemetary on the hill outside of town to visit the grave of one of my kids. I called them my kids but they were young men. I lost one from my home town on my last tour. He's buried here. We used to talk home and fishing when things were slow. I wasn't here for his funeral because I had a bunch more youngsters who needed me in Afghanistan. I was there the moment he died and I was the last person he saw. I enjoy the early quiet morning with him and give him this springs fishing report. Don't even know why I'm writing it here. Nobody elses business. I just do it. It's become a ritual. I pay my respects in my way. Salute sharply and try not to shed too many tears.
I have a son still on active duty and another who's already done his service and medically discharged. One is 80% disabled according to the VA. He's learning how to live again. Amid all the VA scandal they have done right by him. I'm just glad I can visit him and go fishing from time to time.
Each winter I tie 4 sets of salmon flies. One goes to each of my two sons. One goes in my vest and one goes on a gravestone every Memorial day. We'll use them all when we meet again.

Remember those we lost:usa

I should just delete this but here goes....

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fuel Hoser;

I am glad that you did not delete it. Many need to hear from those that have experienced, firsthand.

I've always said, if the politicians had to put their own in harm's way, we would still have to fight wars, but they would think twice before sending us into "conflicts". Maybe then, so many would not have to be injured or die under some catch phrase.

Thank you for sharing so much with the rest of us.

I thank all who served, be it in time of war, conflict, or peace.

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
Fuel Hoser:
Thank you for the post. The citizens of this country owe you and your family, as well as your Soldier's family a huge debt.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Fuel Hoser:
Thank you for the post. The citizens of this country owe you and your family, as well as your Soldier's family a huge debt.
Couldn't have said it better myself Don.

·
Premium Member
14,702 Posts
Fuel Hoser Thank you for your post ,being with him then and now after all these years. I bet you've even told him a good fishing tale.

Again Thanks for the post and serving our country.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Thank you fuel hoser !
You are a good man . I am proud to know you ... Even just a little

there are so many good people on this board... I'd say almost if not 100%. Just wish there wasn't so much distance betwixt us. Although... I'd better not open up that can of worms...Y'all may be feeling blessed I'm way down here in texas :lol:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Texas

My youngest son is stationed at Dyess AFB in Abilene. My oldest son moved down there with him and is getting help from the VA. He finds his disability check from the VA goes alot farther in TX than it does up here. Cost of living is so much better down there. He's job hunting but don't know how hard.
My wife and I are thinking about flying down to DFW and renting a car. It would be fun to visit the boys. Our daughter and her husband are stationed at Ft Polk LA and that shouldn't be too bad of a drive to go visit them and the grandkids. I'm thinking that will be a good winter project to get away from the cold. I have lots of vacation on the books. Hmmm.... I may look up a few GTT folks while I'm down there just to have a cup of coffee and say Hi while I'm down there. That would be fun.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts