Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Monday in the USA is Memorial Day. It is the day for us to remember the fallen. Not a day to remember the ones that are serving, not to remember Vets. But the ones who gave their all. To us Vets, its a very sad time. A time of rememberance. I was present more than once when the names were read off of the fallen. But i already knew who they were. we flew the same mission the night before...
To my brothers and sisters, we will meet again on a moonless dark night. Death waits in the dark.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
We are forever in your debt. You are the best this country has to offer.

Thank you! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
You are right xcopterdoc. On Memorial Day we honor those who died defending our country and preserving freedom.

On Veterans Day we honor all veterans.

·
Administrator
17,944 Posts
I honored those who have fallen today by partipating in my first ever "Rolling Thunder" event, a parade of 10's of that island of motorcycles to Washington DC, wow is about all I can say right now!

We just happened to be there when the "Saluting Marine" got married right before he started his two hour plus salute while she stood at his side. This is his 15th year of doing this. Read more here: www.thesalutingmarine.com

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

We we also took a walk to "The Wall", the Veitnam Veterens Memorial, this was my first time there as well. A truly humbling experience to say the least, just seeing the items left and family members making tracings/rubbings of thier fallen family members name was very emotional. If you know someone that's on the wall, you can look them up here: www.thewallusa.com

Attachments

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Memorial Day was originally set aside to honor all that had died during the Civil War on both sides. It was expanded to remember all that died. Thoughts to all that gave the ultimate sacrifice for what they believed in.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
KennyD--the dirt work done on that wall was done by the constuction co. that i worked for down there. when i hired on, they had been done for a while-not long--so the first rain day- we rode the subway into town, and went to see it. my wife's uncle saw several names from his unit on the wall-yelp very humbling to say the least-huh. just proud i worked for the same outfit back then who did that dirt work back then-thanks for the pics. kinda miss all that hustle and bustle of there:lol: and of course the traffic also:laugh: thanks again for pics:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Monuments

I honored those who have fallen today by partipating in my first ever "Rolling Thunder" event, a parade of 10's of that island of motorcycles to Washington DC, wow is about all I can say right now!

We just happened to be there when the "Saluting Marine" got married right before he started his two hour plus salute while she stood at his side. This is his 15th year of doing this. Read more here: www.thesalutingmarine.com

View attachment 187474

View attachment 187482

View attachment 187490

We we also took a walk to "The Wall", the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, this was my first time there as well. A truly humbling experience to say the least, just seeing the items left and family members making tracings/rubbings of their fallen family members name was very emotional. If you know someone that's on the wall, you can look them up here: www.thewallusa.com
The wall is very sobering to see and experience. Of all the monuments and museums in DC, the WWII memorial, the Vietnam memorial and the Holocaust museum are the ones that really affected me. Outside of DC is the Marine Corp museum, another place everyone should visit. Today of all days, we also think of Arlington National Cemetery, the Quantico cemetery (I have friends there) and the other cemeteries across the world where those who fought for us are laid to rest. We owe them all more we can repay but this day is about more than a day off, grilling and fun. It's about those who chose the difficult and dangerous and who gave their all. Requiesce in pace for you are not forgotten.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
14,710 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I grew up less than a mile from the Oakland Naval Hospital and was a teen when Vietnam was at its worst. The hospital was the place for vets that lost limbs and suffered other horrific wounds. I visited many soldiers in the hospital and my Mother encouraged me to invite them to the house for family time and a home cooked meal. I have many good memories of my time with these heroes and the sacrifices they gave to the country. I'd like to think that we all also honor them on this day because I do! I'll raise a toast later to their bravery.:bigbeer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts