Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was 11 year old when this photo was taken.
That's my Dad is on the left. He was part Owner & Salesman/Sales Manager.
The two fellows on the right were Mechanics(brothers) who worked for our dealership.
They're standing in front of a John Deere Model 45 Combine with a 12' cutting head.

The building behind them was a Allis Chalmers Dealership. That's a Gleaner Combine to the right.

Back then, on the same side of the highway, a half mile out of town, were four Agricultural Dealerships. Allis Chalmers, John Deere, Ford and JI Case(who also sold Oliver & Massy Ferguson). The Ford & JI Case dealers were owned by brothers. The International Harvester dealer was one mile to the east, in town.

By the mid to late '70's, there were only two Agricultural dealers left in the Parish(County, for some of you), our John Deere dealership and Case/IH. They are both still in business to this day. Although, the Case/IH is a Compact Utility & Consumer Products dealer only.
Our dealership was sold to relatives back in '84. Then later, sold to another JD dealer Conglomerate, a few years ago.

Thanks for looking.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Am I the only one that the place where the photo should be is a little "x"? :cray:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
YES!!! I can see the photo now!!! Thank you!!

And a great memory to share! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I was 11 year old when this photo was taken.
That's my Dad is on the left. He was part Owner & Salesman/Sales Manager.
The two fellows on the right were Mechanics(brothers) who worked for our dealership.
They're standing in front of a John Deere Model 45 Combine with a 12' cutting head.

The building behind them was a Allis Chalmers Dealership. That's a Gleaner Combine to the right.

Back then, on the same side of the highway, a half mile out of town, were four Agricultural Dealerships. Allis Chalmers, John Deere, Ford and JI Case(who also sold Oliver & Massy Ferguson). The Ford & JI Case dealers were owned by brothers. The International Harvester dealer was one mile to the east, in town.

By the mid to late '70's, there were only two Agricultural dealers left in the Parish(County, for some of you), our John Deere dealership and Case/IH. They are both still in business to this day. Although, the Case/IH is a Compact Utility & Consumer Products dealer only.
Our dealership was sold to relatives back in '84. Then later, sold to another JD dealer Conglomerate, a few years ago.

Thanks for looking.
Fantastic photo and great memories. :good2: A piece of history. Many here weren't even alive in '64, and some had already graduated high school and the draft and Vietnam were in full swing.

Thanks for sharing . . . . :greentractorride:

·
Registered
395 Posts
I read the title and thought "oh, Kennedy!" Then reread it and realized it was '64, not '63. FWIW, my mom was born in '64.

Anyways, that is a neat pic and fantastic story!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
927 Posts
Do you know, what combine is there in the background - looks "strange"...

·
Registered
395 Posts
It looks like a Gleaner Model E.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts