Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you live in NC the dealer network has realigned.
Quality Equipment has merged with East Coast Equipment and will be known as Quality Equipment.
That leaves 2 major players in the state now. Quality Equipment and James River Equipment. James River is already the only Construction and Forestry dealer in the state. The only other multi store dealer besides QE and JRE is Southeast Farm Equipment with only 6 stores total, 4 in NC. Only a hand full of Indy's remain and I am not sure how long they will last.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
The new world order, or maybe it’s the oldest order of them all...
Big fish eats little fish:gizmo:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new world order, or maybe it’s the oldest order of them all...
Big fish eats little fish:gizmo:
No one likes to loose their Mom and Pop places. Be it a grocery store, hardware, bakery ect. I know we try and visit our local merchants monthly.
As far as Deere goes, the Mom and Pops are forced out. That sux. But on the flip side when a mega dealer takes over it can be a bonus. More training money for techs. Buying large quantities can mean lower prices on service items for the consumer. Quick shipping/transfer on parts not on hand ect. If I need a part I not only have the Deere warehouse but I have 40 other stores to pick from. And we can drop ship to you..
Another thing we have done is set up locked containers at certain locations where we drop your parts serviced by route driver. You order, we drop. Customer unlocks and gets their parts close to their location.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Lots of this going on around here. When I bought my 1025r in 2014 my John Deere dealer already belonged to a chain of about 15 dealers, with this one probably being the smallest with the least amount of inventory. This year they have merged with 3 other smaller chains and now have about 30 locations and a new name. One positive thing I've seen is this location now has the biggest inventory of tractors and gators than they've ever had. Hopefully they will get better in other ways also.

Last year the local Kubota dealer, an independent who had been here for over 30 years, decided to retire and sold out to a chain. They have really upped their inventory also.

Same is happening with several car dealerships and even ATV dealerships being bought out and super-sized. And I've never seen so many zero-turn dealers popping up, seems like there's one on every corner any more.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Happened in our area few years back.
They were like 4 different small dealers. They all became Central Jersey Equipment. Built new locations and have way more machines on display. I have noticed way more new machines in people's yards since then. Prices are below MSRP too.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Same thing around here. We have one dealer that is up to about 8 stores right now. But, we still have one independent (one store) dealer. My salesman (at the big dealer) said it was because Deere didn't want it to appear as though their store had a monopoly on Deere in the area.

·
Registered
21,563 Posts
When all this started my local dealer who was pretty big - had a lawn & garden facility along with a forestry and construction. He was just at the age he wanted to retire so he sold out instead of trying to bend to Deere’s mandate. The place was never bought out and simply disappeared.

Now my nearest dealer is 75 miles away which equates to a 3 hour round trip.

10 years ago there was a green machine in every yard, field, and construction site. Not any more....

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Was kind of the opposite around here. 20 - 30 years ago I wouldn't even have known where to find a John Deere dealer. Kubota had the small tractor market and CaseIH had always had the big Ag stuff. A few others came and went but never caught on. Then Cub Cadet came in and was competing with Kubota with their lawn tractors and compact diesels, and were getting pretty popular, I bought a couple and still have one. But then MTD decided to turn them into just another lawn mower company and many of the CC dealers went out, including mine.

When the CC store here closed the CaseIH dealer took it over for awhile and I could still get parts there, but then when MTD started letting Lowes sell Cub Cadets the CaseIH dealer said to hell with them and stopped handling anything for CC's.

That's when the first JD dealer came in, a couple of guys started up a dealership in the old Cub Cadet location. They never did very well, never had much inventory, and after a couple of years another small JD dealer about 40 miles away bought it and built it up a little. By then another small chain with several dealers 40 - 50 miles away in the other directions decided they wanted this one too and bought it, seemingly just to eliminate any competition while they were building up. Now both of them are in the same chain.

Have been seeing quite a bit of the John Deere big Ag stuff for several years now as they seem to be taking over that market, but still don't see many small tractors or anything else Deere, except at Home Depot and Lowes. The JD dealers here don't seem to be very interested in that market and you get the feeling they only carry the small stuff because JD probably requires it. Kind of understandable since there is not much market for them in the winter since no one here buys snow removal equipment, once mowing season is over that's pretty much it for the year for the small stuff. It's changing a little for the scuts but still has a long way to go.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Being a courier driver for deere Flash parts for over 20 years this started about 20 years ago. The smaller Mom and Pop dealers with out much inventory weren't ordering much and always behind on paying so they have been forced out and the larger dealers with more inventory and larger orders gobbled them up. the dealer I bought my 92 420 from has had 4 different names on it since.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Went down and signed papers, credit app actually, on a gator today.
Talking with the manager he said they bought another small dealership in NW jersey.
Said mother Deere likes to move volume. Bigger dealers give bigger deals and incentives. If they clear $500 on a small tractor or gator, they’re fine with it. Good for customers.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I guess my small dealer vs big dealer story is a bit different.
I worked in the parts department of our local dealer a long time ago when Deere started requiring dealers to expand or sell out. Well, thats not what they called it, but thats what happened. If you had less than a certain number of locations, you either had to merge or sell.
My local dealer escaped this by opening two other locations over the next few years.

Anyway, I only worked there for a Summer, so I dont know how it all worked out, except that they never went anywhere, and never changed names, and the owners then are the owners now.
My 2025 was purchased there. I tried two other large dealers, one VERY large one, and neither had the price the local did. Now, could they have matched or beat it? Maybe, but playing games like that takes time, and I want the best price the first time. My local gave me exactly that.
Plus its nice to go in and get what I need for it in my own town...though I wouldnt let that affect a buying decision where a few thousand dollars could be saved. If the others had been lower, Id have worked on it a bit, but they werent.

Now, the small dealers dont have sales and promotions too often like the others do, which is why unless I need parts really fast, I generally shop online for them.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If you live in NC the dealer network has realigned.
Quality Equipment has merged with East Coast Equipment and will be known as Quality Equipment.
That leaves 2 major players in the state now. Quality Equipment and James River Equipment. James River is already the only Construction and Forestry dealer in the state. The only other multi store dealer besides QE and JRE is Southeast Farm Equipment with only 6 stores total, 4 in NC. Only a hand full of Indy's remain and I am not sure how long they will last.

I wonder what this means for the dealer in Carthage? I think they sell enough volume to not be a target for closure but you never know. If it ever closes it will be a major pain because the nearest JD dealer will be close to an hour away, I think.

They also now have some competition with a new Kubota dealer, with a huge inventory, just opened up on US1 just South of Tramway. My neighbor went Orange when he couldn't get sales guy to hardly deal with him at the Green store.

I have not been to a Southeast dealer but I did see a salesman and some of their equipment at an Equipment show in Lumberton, NC about 2 years ago. That is what got me interested in the 3E series in the first place.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the Quality Equipment shop in Carthage will be fine. The nearest place is probably James River in Asheboro I think. I hear of more changes to come so we will see what happens.
I wonder what this means for the dealer in Carthage? I think they sell enough volume to not be a target for closure but you never know. If it ever closes it will be a major pain because the nearest JD dealer will be close to an hour away, I think.

They also now have some competition with a new Kubota dealer, with a huge inventory, just opened up on US1 just South of Tramway. My neighbor went Orange when he couldn't get sales guy to hardly deal with him at the Green store.

I have not been to a Southeast dealer but I did see a salesman and some of their equipment at an Equipment show in Lumberton, NC about 2 years ago. That is what got me interested in the 3E series in the first place.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
My dealer (formerly Smith implements) had locations in Richmond, Rushville, Bloomington, and greenfield, IN IIRC. They just merged with a massive dealer chain out of western Ohio (Koenig equipment). I haven't had to deal with they new dealership yet, so fingers crossed.

I had concerns about Reynolds being merged, but it looks like other dealers are being merged with them.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
My dealer (formerly Smith implements) had locations in Richmond, Rushville, Bloomington, and greenfield, IN IIRC. They just merged with a massive dealer chain out of western Ohio (Koenig equipment). I haven't had to deal with they new dealership yet, so fingers crossed.

I had concerns about Reynolds being merged, but it looks like other dealers are being merged with them.
There was a Smith's in Franklin. It's one of my go to locations when I'm up visiting to see the big machines. My last visit there was not too long after they changed to Koenig and I could tell something had changed by what they had in stock before I noticed the different name on the sign.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
There was a Smith's in Franklin. It's one of my go to locations when I'm up visiting to see the big machines. My last visit there was not too long after they changed to Koenig and I could tell something had changed by what they had in stock before I noticed the different name on the sign.
Yep. they cleared out most of the inventory after the switch.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I've been dealing with Koenig's since I bought my tractor in 2012. I think it's like everything else - a lot of it is going to depend on the local staff. I'm fortunate that many people have worked there for several years and have some pretty good experience. I know the main salesguy pretty well and even though he wasn't there when I bought my (used) tractor, he always treats me great! And, he knows that the chances of me buying another one are pretty slim.

The parts guys are pretty knowledgeable as well. But I think they (father and son at the parts counter) were there before Koenig bought them out several years ago.

One good thing about them is that with all of the stores they do have a pretty good inventory. A couple of years ago I was asking about a used Cub Cadet Zero Turn that was at another location. They salesguy called the other location, asked a few questions about it and then had it for me to check out at my local location within a couple of days. That was for a mower with a $1500 price tag - so certainly not a ton of profit to be made.

JohnH123 - are you in the Richmond area?

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
James River

I think the Quality Equipment shop in Carthage will be fine. The nearest place is probably James River in Asheboro I think. I hear of more changes to come so we will see what happens.

James River Equipment is pretty aggressive and will certainly expand anytime they see an opportunity to take a market. The good news is that people I have dealt with at JRE have been pretty decent to work with. They may or may not have given me the price I wanted but I could generally depend on them to do exactly what they said they would do and not play any funny games. That's really all I ask is to be straight up honest and follow through on promises. Then it's up to me if I like a deal or not.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I've been dealing with Koenig's since I bought my tractor in 2012. I think it's like everything else - a lot of it is going to depend on the local staff. I'm fortunate that many people have worked there for several years and have some pretty good experience. I know the main salesguy pretty well and even though he wasn't there when I bought my (used) tractor, he always treats me great! And, he knows that the chances of me buying another one are pretty slim.

The parts guys are pretty knowledgeable as well. But I think they (father and son at the parts counter) were there before Koenig bought them out several years ago.

One good thing about them is that with all of the stores they do have a pretty good inventory. A couple of years ago I was asking about a used Cub Cadet Zero Turn that was at another location. They salesguy called the other location, asked a few questions about it and then had it for me to check out at my local location within a couple of days. That was for a mower with a $1500 price tag - so certainly not a ton of profit to be made.

JohnH123 - are you in the Richmond area?
Nope, i'm way down south.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
The Only single owned dealer Deere will allow anymore are Dealers that Can't Carry anything Bigger than a X700 series.

But if You want to Carry the full residential Line(tractors up to small frame 7000 series) or AG line( smallest Lawn tractor to Largest Field or ROW crop tractor) they want you to Have 3 dealerships at Minimum.

Deere does Give You while to Purchase additional dealerships. But if those are Not Purchased in the set Time Deere Gives You. Deere will Pull your dealership license to sell Deere.

There is also a Big Push By Deere to Get You to be a Gold Star dealer as well (meaning You Have to Purchase so Much extra stuff From Deere Monthly ie Balling twine to ripper shanks). But Deere is not the Only AG Manufacture doing this Case/IH & New Holland also do this.

So Far AGCO is about the Only Manufacturer Not forcing there dealers to buy additional Dealerships with the Threat of Pulling you licenses to sell there Products.

Kind of Funny Prior to the 2000's Deere prided they Fact that they Had the Mom & Pop store dealerships.

The reasoning behind it. It is supposed the streamline Deere's Parts delivery which was the Original reasoning behind it. I foresee One day we the consumer are Going to be Buying every Deere Product at full MSRP I am Lucky right now I have 4 Deere Dealership outfits within driving distance. So I can still get a Better deal On Deere Machinery By Playing one dealer against the other :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts