Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered, installed, and have liked using the Model 47 (mine) or Model 54 Snowblower electric chute control from Merit Automation, so decided to do a review of sorts by making a video about it. It also has some installation photos at the end. Thought others might enjoy it. I've also been reading a lot of the back and forth about exhaust, and on a lark bought a Gen-Turi and adapted it, with great results while snowblowing and mowing. I have not tried it yet with the loader on, and was a bit concerned about there being room for it, but nesting the tractor into the loader when parked, it does look like it will fit. This is still experimental and temporary at this point (Gen-Turis can easily be detached, because that's what they are designed for) so I am still evaluating.

·
Premium Member
6,775 Posts
I ordered, installed, and have liked using the Model 47 (mine) or Model 54 Snowblower electric chute control from Merit Automation, so decided to do a review of sorts by making a video about it. It also has some installation photos at the end. Thought others might enjoy it. I've also been reading a lot of the back and forth about exhaust, and on a lark bought a Gen-Turi and adapted it, with great results while snowblowing and mowing. I have not tried it yet with the loader on, and was a bit concerned about there being room for it, but nesting the tractor into the loader when parked, it does look like it will fit. This is still experimental and temporary at this point (Gen-Turis can easily be detached, because that's what they are designed for) so I am still evaluating.
I also installed an actuator on my 47", couldn't stand that cable deal at all and it was a simple install on my X738 complete with cutting in dash rocker switch. .. what you need now is a Cab! JT

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey, could you guys take some close up pics of the mounting itself on the blower, and which wires go to what in the switches, I have an x758 and 47 blower
I find the instructions to be lacking to say the least

·
Administrator
21,597 Posts
The post is almost 5 years old.

·
Registered
743 Posts
So, I have the Merit kit myself. It’s good. There’s also a popular actuator that you’ll find on GTT. Poking around their site a week ago, I found that they released a kit for JD blowers.

The firgelli actuator is higher speed than the one that Merit uses. That’s my only complaint with the merit Kit. The merit kit did come with spacers and nuts to get a nice mount-up of the actuator. If you go Merit, there are a couple of kits:
One has a toggle-style rocker switch, another has a push momentary. The push switch is a top-bottom switch that kits perfectly in the dash cut-out (by your left knee) on my 2018 1025r. It’s somewhat inconvenient to run that switch while driving and with a hand on the stick, but it works okay and gives a factory fit-n-finish.
Looks like the seller is away for New Years (2021), also, make sure you contact them and ask for the link for the switch you want. I found them extremely responsive on email (when they’re not on vacation).

·
Registered
743 Posts
I really wish that I could find a nice thumb-mounted switch for the loader control. I was looking at buying the handle that comes with the mid-scv, but I don’t know what would happen if/when I actually install the mid-scv.

there are a few manufacturers that make expensive handles, but getting all the options just right, you end up losing the ability to get a threaded knob and a lot of added height.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just installed the Merit actuator and really like the way it operates. The kit is well thought out and pretty complete and the instructions are good. The only change I made was to add some heat-shrink tubing to some of the connections.
So far I have swapped the plastic impeller for the JD steel one and replaced the open chain drive with the enclosed chain case and now added the powered chute deflector. Finally the 54" blower is working like I think it should have when it came from the factory.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I just installed the Merit actuator and really like the way it operates. The kit is well thought out and pretty complete and the instructions are good. The only change I made was to add some heat-shrink tubing to some of the connections.
So far I have swapped the plastic impeller for the JD steel one and replaced the open chain drive with the enclosed chain case and now added the powered chute deflector. Finally the 54" blower is working like I think it should have when it came from the factory.
The last change you will want to make is to the chute rotation cable system. I changed mine from the stock 180 degrees to 270 degrees and it is now perfect. I made a couple of changes like using stainless steel cable and making some washers to fit between the pulleys out of some heavy duty plastic bottles but mostly followed the installations as the attached files show.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
35lb actuator isnt strong enough. Under heavy blowing conditions the chute will open up. So you will be forever bringing it back down.
Thanks for all the nice comments btw! we also offer a 1 year warranty on my actuators. Something the other guy doesnt do. Mine are a special build as well. The limit switches inside are made in Switzerland and NOT China. My tops are sealed with a long lasting hard rubber not cheap o ring that shrinks and allows water in. The rod is also polished for superior sealing not cheap aluminum.

·
Premium Member
16,468 Posts
I just noticed firgelliauto stole my pictures off ebay not cool. The first one you can see my logo on the actuator still. I think for a company their size thats a pretty crappy thing to do.

35lb actuator isnt strong enough. Under heavy blowing conditions the chute will open up. So you will be forever bringing it back down.
Thanks for all the nice comments btw! we also offer a 1 year warranty on out actuators. Something the other guy doesnt do.
Don't sweat it... I see lots of borrowed photos in Ebay listings. I hope to purchase one of your kits in the near future. :)

·
Premium Member
16,468 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Id be glad to give you a free kit for the use of the picture. I apologize if i didn't ask permission. I do try to only use pictures that people say is ok.
Just ordered one from you on eBay. Would you be able to email the directions over. Would like to read them over before I get them. eBay name is chasmicnasty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts