Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Am in need of replacement flange bolts and was unwilling to pay the high dealer cost of them for my 318 restore project.
Stopped by rural k. and found a good selection of bulk metric black oxide flange bolts by the pound for something like $4.
Only recall seeing even mm like 6.8,10 and 12. Got a couple of pounds of nuts, bolts and washers in various metric sizes.
Found no crown nuts, only regular ones, but was pressed for time.
Escapes me now, but I think they were grade 5. Can anyone confirm that?

Ace had a good selection in zinc, but much more expensive.
Anyone else find good alternative sourcing for the metrics?

·
Administrator
22,360 Posts
Are we talking about carriage bolts? If so, lots of places online where you can find them. Fastenal would be a top pick.

·
Premium Member
17,246 Posts
Another recommended source is McMaster-Carr. If they don't have it, it probably doesn't exist.

McMaster-Carr

Reactions: farmer52

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
For any oddball metric check out a place called "Metric & Multi Standard." www.metricmcc.com.

They supply Fastenal, McMaster, etc. specialty metric stuff. Family owned business, nice folks! Been around since the 50's IIRC.

• Love
Reactions: theduke

·
Premium Member
17,246 Posts
For any oddball metric check out a place called "Metric & Multi Standard." www.metricmcc.com.

They supply Fastenal, McMaster, etc. specialty metric stuff. Family owned business, nice folks! Been around since the 50's IIRC.
Do they sell retail in small quantities online?

Reactions: eyeboltman

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I don't know about their online presence, but they have a full staff of inside sales people. They do sell in small quantities. Or at least they used to. I haven't dealt with them in 15 or so years. I installed their accounting/warehouse system back then.

·
Premium Member
17,246 Posts
I don't know about their online presence, but they have a full staff of inside sales people. They do sell in small quantities. Or at least they used to. I haven't dealt with them in 15 or so years. I installed their accounting/warehouse system back then.
Was just curious as they only have a physical presence in 5 states They don't list any pricing on their website but instead just show "RFQ" (Request for Quote). That usually means corporate customers only and not a guy like me needing 6 bolts. :)

• Haha

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Not wanting to pay the JD price, your options are to look locally... where you haven't found any... or order from a distributor. Fastenal, McMaster-Carr, Manhattan Supply Co, or a local industrial supply would be your best choices.
Before you can order anything, you MUST know EXACTLY what you want! You'll need the type (hex head, flanged, carriage, socket head?), OD (metric or SAE?), pitch (coarse or fine?), length (mm or inch?), flange type (smooth or serrated?), and Grade (metric or SAE?).
If you don't have them, I'd suggest going to a box store...Harbor Freight, Lowe's, HD, etc... and get a pair of dial calipers for measuring OD and thread pitch gauges... BOTH SAE & metric... to determine the correct pitch/threads per inch. Length can be measured with a tape measure... from the end of the threads to the underside of the flange and NOT overall length (unless it's a flat head screw!)... and other info can be found on the fastener by looking at it! A bolt is not JUST A BOLT, and many parameters define a particular fastener. Just ask if any of this is unclear and we'll explain in more detail. Bob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not wanting to pay the JD price, your options are to look locally... where you haven't found any... or order from a distributor. Fastenal, McMaster-Carr, Manhattan Supply Co, or a local industrial supply would be your best choices.
Before you can order anything, you MUST know EXACTLY what you want! You'll need the type (hex head, flanged, carriage, socket head?), OD (metric or SAE?), pitch (coarse or fine?), length (mm or inch?), flange type (smooth or serrated?), and Grade (metric or SAE?).
If you don't have them, I'd suggest going to a box store...Harbor Freight, Lowe's, HD, etc... and get a pair of dial calipers for measuring OD and thread pitch gauges... BOTH SAE & metric... to determine the correct pitch/threads per inch. Length can be measured with a tape measure... from the end of the threads to the underside of the flange and NOT overall length (unless it's a flat head screw!)... and other info can be found on the fastener by looking at it! A bolt is not JUST A BOLT, and many parameters define a particular fastener. Just ask if any of this is unclear and we'll explain in more detail. Bob
Thanks for the detailed response Bob. Am familiar and have perhaps tens of thousands of bolts of every kind, even some BSW for my Triumph motorcycle, but have few metric flange bolts. Have even resorted to turning my own specialty pieces when desperate. Still wondering why they mixed SAE and metric. You have a good explanation for that?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Can't help with why they mix SAE & metric, but I'd be willing to bet it has something to do with $$$ !

I use Fastenal every now and then and have good luck with them. A little hint on Fastenal: Don't order from the facility/counter. Order online and have them shipped (free) to your local Fastenal... they're cheaper to buy online than if you ordered at the counter! Bob

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response Bob. Am familiar and have perhaps tens of thousands of bolts of every kind, even some BSW for my Triumph motorcycle, but have few metric flange bolts. Have even resorted to turning my own specialty pieces when desperate. Still wondering why they mixed SAE and metric. You have a good explanation for that?

Ah British fasteners LOL.
Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
How many do you need and how much are they from the dealer?
I‘ve ordered screws, bolts, nuts, washers, etc from Deere and New Holland and they’ve always been reasonably priced plus you know you’re getting exactly the right part.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How many do you need and how much are they from the dealer?
I‘ve ordered screws, bolts, nuts, washers, etc from Deere and New Holland and they’ve always been reasonably priced plus you know you’re getting exactly the right part.
Have a few dozen rusted ones I want to replace.
M6x16- $1.35 at dealer, $0.16 online, without shipping. Added 65 or so 5M to 8M zinc 8.8 flange nuts and bolts for total of $7 plus shipping of $6.80. Estimating these 65 pieces would cost me over $50 at dealer. Gee, to replace all the nuts and bolts on the entire tractor would likely cost a grand at the dealer!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Have a few dozen rusted ones I want to replace.
M6x16- $1.35 at dealer, $0.16 online, without shipping. Added 65 or so 5M to 8M zinc 8.8 flange nuts and bolts for total of $7 plus shipping of $6.80. Estimating these 65 pieces would cost me over $50 at dealer. Gee, to replace all the nuts and bolts on the entire tractor would likely cost a grand at the dealer!
Wow that is really high! I bought some screws for the Gator a few weeks ago and they weren’t very expensive. And I’ve been replacing quite a few parts on an old NH baler and the nuts and bolts have been <25¢ each. Put your new bolts in and then eBay your original bolts😬

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.