Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This leak just appeared and I don't know enough to know what is causing it, how concerned I should be and how involved it is to correct it.

I noticed it the other day, wiped it all down, used it for an hour or so and now it's back.

Registered
You have an inner hub seal leaking. It won't heal on it's own. Unless you have tools and some basic knowledge of hub service I'd recommend you take this to your dealer for repair.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have an inner hub seal leaking. It won't heal on it's own. Unless you have tools and some basic knowledge of hub service I'd recommend you take this to your dealer for repair.
Thank you.
I have the tools but have never serviced a hub.
Taking it to a dealer is not really an option but maybe someone local can help or advise.

Registered
Time to buy a service manual. If it's worth a crap it'll tell you exactly how to replace that seal. Or perhaps another GTT member will kindly share the relevant manual section. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tractor model and year info does help ...
It's a 5400 and the year is 1996.
I do have the repair technical manual but things are often easier to read about than to actually do. But it looks like it will be very helpful.

I see there is a seal on the inside of the "outer drive".
I also see that there is a seal on the inside if you remove the entire swivel housing.

Does anyone know which seal is the likely culprit or do you think I won't now until I look at each?

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

Registered
You might check the leaked oil. The hub is a heavy gear oil while the axle is Hygard.. a lighter oil.

Look on you.tube. There's videos of Deere hubs being repaired.

Registered
Not sure about the 5400, but I had a front hub leaking in my 5075E recently. The seal that presses into the rotating flange was bad (looked like an original with over 5000 hrs on it). I bought that seal, an o-ring, and the axle stub seal. Took about 3 hours to repair, start to finish. As with most John Deere machinery I've ever seen, it's engineered to be serviced. The 5075E has a Dana front axle and the Hub is filled with Hy Gard (no gear oil), which lubricates all of the parts in the Hub planetary and the axle seal, all of which are common to the steering knuckle assembly. Not sure if this helps but as long as you're handy with tools and some basic mechanical skills, it's not difficult.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts