Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I start my tractor I see 1 or 2 mice running out from under the tractor. I've looked everywhere for a nest and haven't been able to find one.

My question to anyone with an gen 2 2025r is there somewhere i could be missing to look?

Or any others who have had similar problems locating nests?

·
Premium Member
14,151 Posts
Never had a problem with that, but in behind the cowling and dash is a hot spot for them little critters.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
on my 955...

nest will be by radiater cap or on top of the fuel lines next to valve cover.

In the excavater its under the floorboards or under the controls on the right side ie. dash area.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
I've had a nest somewhere between the fender pan and transmission on mine. And that is exactly where they come out when you start it - down underneath.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Just make damn sure they aren't making their way into the air filter.
Not that I would be happy if they chewed wires either...

Reactions: PJR832 and OxPath

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I use a stainless steel pot scrubber on a piece of 14 gauge electrical wire to fill the air cleaner intake on my 1025, which seems to be a prime spot for mice to nest. It's easy to use and cheap to implement.
That is a trick idea, I park my old sporty car for the winter and have had to replace air filters they tore up.
I stuffed a towel in the snorkel last fall and Mighty Mouse dragged the darn thing out.
I also stuff a towel on my 1025 when I park it even in the summer. Forgot about it one day and remembered after five minutes of mowing, sure saw the filter minder I installed worked right.

So you can leave this in place I assume and no real restriction occurs?

·
Registered
375 Posts
That is a trick idea, I park my old sporty car for the winter and have had to replace air filters they tore up.
I stuffed a towel in the snorkel last fall and Mighty Mouse dragged the darn thing out.
I also stuff a towel on my 1025 when I park it even in the summer. Forgot about it one day and remembered after five minutes of mowing, sure saw the filter minder I installed worked right.

So you can leave this in place I assume and no real restriction occurs?
I haven't tried. I pull it out and let it hang (the wire is attached to the radiator) while I use the tractor and then put it back in when I shut down for the night. It would probably run fine at idle, but I would believe it would be too restrictive when running it at higher speed.

I lost an air cleaner in my ATV when a mouse family took up residence. Now I just stuff the intake with the scrubbers when the machines are going to sit and I haven't had further issues with mice getting in.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies . I will try a few suggestions

I'm in a heavily wooded area 63 acres 95+% in woods . Tractor shed is 25ft from the edge of the woods. I usually have mice problems . But have always been able to locate the nests.

Today I lifted the boot under the steering wheel and put high pressure air in there nothing came out.

Would that flush out that dash area ? Or do I need to get the dash off and what kind of job would that be?

I have checked the whole tractor and have put high pressure air in every orifice and nothing

?

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I'm to the point of buying a shipping container for my equipment.

There is no other solution where I'm at out in the country surrounded by woods and fields.

If your running everyday its fine but my stuff sits for months in the winter.

A couple or five 20 ' containers would hold my tractor ,excavater ,RTV ,55 m38A1 ,sawmill and whateverelse Moma don't know about. Might have to bury one just for shtfteotwawki

Expensive yes..I got no room for a 40'...and the 20's I could actually move with some hillbilly enginering.

I hate mice...the flippin squirrels are worse..They have trashed the hood liners in my truck and the brides.

wheres are machine gun emogie thingy?....I do need to exercise the Mac..hmm

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm to the point of buying a shipping container for my equipment.

There is no other solution where I'm at out in the country surrounded by woods and fields.

If your running everyday its fine but my stuff sits for months in the winter.

A couple or five 20 ' containers would hold my tractor ,excavater ,RTV ,55 m38A1 ,sawmill and whateverelse Moma don't know about. Might have to bury one just for shtfteotwawki

Expensive yes..I got no room for a 40'...and the 20's I could actually move with some hillbilly enginering.

I hate mice...the flippin squirrels are worse..They have trashed the hood liners in my truck and the brides.

wheres are machine gun emogie thingy?....I do need to exercise the Mac..hmm

Had a squirrel knock out electricity yesterday climbed the pole to the transformer. I heard what sounded like a 30-06 right next to my house . Weird because the transformer is a couple hundred feet from the house. The repair crew said it blew a fuse. It's a strange setup the fuse is actually a mile from our transformer. He said they're upgrading the transformers and each will have there own fuses. What kind of fuses that blows a mile away sound like a high powered rifle right next to my house

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Could keep one of these guys around. They are cheap, and easy to keep. :laugh:

Got snakes? - Page 12

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Im a self professed mouse and chipmunk hater.

I live in the middle of a woods, surrounded by a field. Mice dont get much worse than out here.
While I did have some minor issues when we first moved out here, I have since solved them with the garage, and its surprisingly not all that difficult.
I have a detached standard 3 car block foundation garage with vinyl siding.
First, you have to know how they get in. Sure they can get in very small openings, but they like big ones. Look around the doors and check for any chewing of door seals, door weatherstrip (the stuff around the outside of the door, sides and top), and any unsealed penetrations through the siding.
Youll likely find damage if you have them inside the garage.
Fix those, then make sure its well sealed, and you should be good. If not, you can buy caps that go up inside the corner trim on the siding. Thats basically a straight shot right into the attic space. I plugged them on the house, but not the garage, and they have a different access into the house, but stay out of the garage.

I use Protecta bait stations around the house, and the one where I had the most activity I switched to a Tin Cat style trap with the same bait in it. They go in, and cant get back out.
I have one of those outside the garage as well, and the Protecta stations on 3 sides.
Inside the garage I have 4 stations, one in each corner, just for monitoring purposes. I also have 2 of the catch type traps in there as well as a backup. Dont want them eating bait then dying inside a crate or something.

This has worked perfectly for 3 years now. No mice in the garage, but they do get in the shed.
Id seal that up, but it will require replacing the rotted T1-11 siding all around. Not happening this year.

There are some landscaping things you can do too, but do NOT store items up against the buildings you want to keep mice out of. They love wood piles, brick piles, any piles of anything next to a building.
If you get them out of an area, the protecta stations, or something similar, will keep them away. Well, it will kill the ones that get close anyway.

My neighbor has trim missing on his overhead doors, and bad weatherstrip, and has tons of mice in his shop, which is the same exact construction and size of mine. He is on the opposite end of the woods from me. He cant believe I have no mice in the garage.
Its an ongoing battle, as you have to change out the bait every 60-90 days tops, and sooner if they eat it all, obviously, but if you keep on it, you can get them out and keep them out, but it takes a dedicated effort initially to get it manageable.

We park vehicles outside, and used to find all kinds of mouse droppings all over under the hood of the vehicles, but since weve added the Tin Cat near where we park, that has diminished significantly.
I honestly dont have the recommended number of outdoor bait stations, or even the larger size they recommend either, and do well enough. This Summer, before Fall anyway, Im going to add several of the larger sized stations and clear some behind the garage to keep them from even getting around to the front.

Tin Cat:
Victor Tin Cat Mouse Trap Solid Top M312 - Free Shipping

Small Protecta Bait Station:
Protecta RTU Mouse Bait Station

Large Bait Station (there are several styles including the smaller ones and baits) :
Protecta Bait Station - Do It Yourself Pest Control

Oh, and anyone wondering about the smelly deterrents, I tried Fresh Cab, which was one of the highest rated, and it didnt work at all in the shed. Trapping and poison are the only way, in my opinion, that works 100% of the time.
Im not a fan of moth balls, as the chemical they put off to deter pests doesnt do plastics any favors. If they arent in close proximity, it might be ok, but I also dont like the smell myself, so I stay away from them.

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
633 Posts
My tractor is new and no mice yet, so far. Both our vehicles had mice damage, they ate through the ignition wiring under the decorative engine cover. Parts were expensive for me to replace the wiring. I have areas I don't care if they are there, and areas where they die.

Once I had a couple eat their way into the top of an empty lidded 5 gallon bucket. They starved to death before I found them. They couldn't nibble their way out, no purchase on the bucket from the inside.

The squirrels, chipmunks, mice, moles, skunks, possums, porcupines, groundhogs, raccoons, geese, turkeys and bears all pose their own issues around here. Haven't seen any beavers in a long time. Sometimes neighbors can be the worst nuisance.

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
When I start my tractor I see 1 or 2 mice running out from under the tractor. I've looked everywhere for a nest and haven't been able to find one.

My question to anyone with an gen 2 2025r is there somewhere i could be missing to look?

Or any others who have had similar problems locating nests?
not with my tractors but trucks yes. They like to make nest in small protected spaces around engine compartment and chew wires. Hard to stop. Had pne truck vandalised by mice twice and had to move the truck to another garage for storage to stop them. Funny they didnt my gasers in the same garage only the diesel.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
My tractor is new and no mice yet, so far. Both our vehicles had mice damage, they ate through the ignition wiring under the decorative engine cover. Parts were expensive for me to replace the wiring. I have areas I don't care if they are there, and areas where they die.

Once I had a couple eat their way into the top of an empty lidded 5 gallon bucket. They starved to death before I found them. They couldn't nibble their way out, no purchase on the bucket from the inside.

The squirrels, chipmunks, mice, moles, skunks, possums, porcupines, groundhogs, raccoons, geese, turkeys and bears all pose their own issues around here. Haven't seen any beavers in a long time. Sometimes neighbors can be the worst nuisance.
I’ll gladly tolerate all critters listed instead of having any neighbors.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I’ll gladly tolerate all critters listed instead of having any neighbors.
Usually the critters are better neighbors. Even had a skunk winter over a couple years. As long as you didn't startle him he was a good neighbor. Groundhogs dug too many holes in the wrong places and I fell in a couple. Ran them off with mothballs.

Forgot to add bees, rabbits and snakes to the critter list.

My human neighbors are close enough I can see their house, but not close enough I can hear them unless they get real loud.

We've only been here 12 years and I still haven't met all of them. No hurry. A fairly recent arrival I call the 3N-Not Nice Neighbor. If I say what I really feel I can envision a lawsuit or something. Seems like the other neighbors have a similar opinion.

Reactions: coaltrain
1 - 20 of 26 Posts