Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

· Registered
3046R with 385a, 320R.
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After mowing this week I was blowing off the machine and lifted the air filter compartment. I saw some grass under the engine cover and began to pull some out. Well I come to realize there was much more inside I couldn’t reach.
To the garage for tools and what I learned.
1. the bolts holding the plastic cover are lava hot after mowing
2. Removing the cover isn’t a quick job. 6 lava bolts, 2 screws holding the fuel lines requiring a stubby driver and the soft aluminum torx screws on top of the engine holding the mesh screen. 2 out and 1 stripped head. I drilled it out and moved on.
well after 20mins, 8 degree burns on my fingers, lost driver bits in the lawn it’s off.
Mower is only 2 months old, these mice work quick.

· Premium Member
11,725 Posts
Spray that sumbich with peppermint before reassembly. It may or may not deter the mice from moving back in. I spray my trucks every 4-6 months and it seems to help

· Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
5,372 Posts
Spray that sumbich with peppermint before reassembly. It may or may not deter the mice from moving back in. I spray my trucks every 4-6 months and it seems to help
What exactly do you use Kyle?

· Premium Member
11,725 Posts
What exactly do you use Kyle?
I don’t remember but I’ll get a pic when I get home today. Got it at the local Ace and it works better than the oversized peppermint tea bag style

· Premium Member
3,928 Posts
The Peppermint oil works the best for me. My wife's Sequoia had the mice eat thru her harness. and by the time it was done the bill was over 7500,$. When the service manager called with a price he recommended i call my homeowners insurance and it was covered all except a 100 dollar deuctable. I keep pouches with cut up hand towels in our old corvette and even one under the hood and one in the trunk. and respray them every three months.

· Registered
X320, 3720 W/ 300cx loader, 5'ford 917 flail, CL 6' box blade, 64 massy 165
949 Posts
I've always used moth balls in the garage. Toss a few under mower. Can use under hood of vehicle as well to determine unwanted residents. They work great in campers also. Fabric softener sheets will also work.
And yes before you say it, it's very difficult to castrate those little critters. Ha ha!

· Registered
2,571 Posts

· Registered
2,571 Posts
. View attachment 800485

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk
That's the usual solution to the issue around me. The problem with that solution in my case is that my property is very cat unfriendly. The highway out front has been the demise of some of the best and friendliest mousers. That part is heartbreaking.

I know that there are many physical impossibilities in the universe but if only cats could be trained to cross at cat crossings and look before crossing. 👼

· Premium Member
11,725 Posts
I’d have 3 cats in a heartbeat butthey would murder all my wife’s beloved wild birds. If my dogs don’t murder them first. A cat is in the critter category round here

· Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
15,194 Posts

· Super Moderator
7,549 Posts

· Registered
1,262 Posts
I keep my JD lawn tractor in a separate shed and use to get engine nests bi-weekly. I started using moth balls and really seemed to help, but not 100%. A neighbor's cat started coming around early spring and I haven't had a nest since. I hope that cat lives to be a ripe old age 😊

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.