Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this may be my 3rd thread about these evil beasts.

I've heard every trick in the book.

My Mini EX is currently dead in the lower 40.
All body work seat etc removed trying to find an issue where
It Don't Start.

Tryed the stuff JD sells ...some organic voodoo repellant
Tryed the Mint flavored stuff as well.
Tryed Steel Wool.
Doused it all with a half can of some Raid Bug Killer stuff for Whatever Bug.

The pic will show that NONE of this WORKS.

Short of buying a Hermedicly sealed Box to park this machine in ...

What are the NEW suggestions...................????????????

give me a few for pics...dam phone died......If mice were electric/battery powered..I'd be Golden...

Seriously PO'd......this has already cost me plenty.......

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Duke,

I will be following this thread as well!

I just arrived at our place in Central Texas and found a bunch of mouse damage. The previous owner had mice poison everywhere in pvc pipes to keep larger animals out of it. Just found a dead hawk in the backyard that I believe lived in one of the large trees in the backyard. Could not figure out what would have killed the hawk. I wonder if possibly the mouse poison that I put out killed it because he ate a poisoned mouse. I specifically asked where I bought it if it would kill an animal that ate it, was told no, not this this type.

So I would sure like to hear some suggestions as well. We are not here enough to have cats. I’m sure they would end up being eaten, but that will probably be part of the answer when we move here which can’t be soon enough...

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1,983 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
A few cats will really take care of business if you are able to have them.
You need to be on a rural enough area so they can be 100% outdoor cats.
They aren't neglected. Shots, fixed, fed, etc. but they are varmint killers.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Try investing in a Barn Owl box, I am going to get two, one for here in Ohio and one for our winter home in AZ. Barn owls live primarily on mice. I have not seen one since I was a kid and there are not very many in Ohio any more.

·
Registered
307 Posts
They say if you have trouble with mice/rats/tree rats getting into your air box and chewing up your wiring, etc that you should leave your hood up when parked.

I agree to invest in felines. Feed them just enough to keep them around, but no more than that. You want them hunting for food. If they're barn cats then no easier food than animals who would dare wonder into their home. They'll help keep rodents and/or snakes out of your barn.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Soo
I'll start by saying I hate posting pics from phone...
Every Village has one..Today I'm IT

Clearly the Steel wool is a Mama's boy MYTH
The Packet of Minty freshness under the Nest..Another Fail
The Goodness that JD sells is also under that toxic mess.

In the last Hours...I've stretched 900 feet of air hose to Ground ZERO.
3/4"..reduced to 3/8 th at the End Zone.

Mice poop has been eradicated along with several pounds of Filbert and Walnut hulls.
I have NO Nut trees
My neighbors have Vinyards
Got No clue where all these Nuts are from...
Why in the World would a Hydraylic machine with a diesel motor that needs 2 wires to function need all this BS under the control levers????????????????

Problem Found......yes your mice are fine...

Several wires broken at rear of Alternator......Motor don't even wiggle in a EX...wtf

I don't have a guess as to why this happened..........Regardless....The mice have destroyed that entire sheetmetal panel.
Machine is stripped down even further than pics show.....I'm not a happy camper.

How can I keep these creatures Out........????????????????????
IMG_20210608_103016524.jpg

IMG_20210608_103016524.jpg
IMG_20210608_132518176.jpg
IMG_20210608_150335742.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I think if you keep it stripped down like that the mice won't want to live in it.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am considering Running Bare Back

Or cutting a window in the Right side Hood /fender/whatever to keep it open.

I get why they like it...Top of Hydro tank thats always WArM.

That can of Raid may have produced a Mutant form of Ratzilla..idk..I'm soo done with these things.

I'll build a vault if I have too...this dam Kibota only has 500 hrs and cost a small fortune years ago.

·
Premium Member
5,096 Posts
Nuts come from bird or squirrel feeders probly. Get some bait stations and some red bait.
Cats are a game changer though. Also, I hear chickens are little mice murderers

·
Registered
388 Posts
I’ve always heard dryer sheets do the trick?? I have done it with success or I’m just lucky. I had them in my garage once and my father in law said to leave a radio play 24/7. So I do and there again three moves later and now we live on the edge of town with field mostly around us and no mice. I don’t mind snakes but they always end up dead around me. It’s weird.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Dryer sheets, Irish Spring soap, and moth balls - myths from my experience.

I use Tomcat green bait blocks. Not sure if they work since I never see the dead mice. I see some chew marks on the bait. So something must be eating them.

Just yesterday I saw a mouse running along the machinery shed rafters. I have bait blocks in the shed. How do you attract mice to them (here mousey mousey)?

And also yesterday I saw a mouse lying on the gravel drive under my truck. I went to pick it up and it was still "kicking" (but not for long). Where did it come from? The truck is parked out in the open and away from any buildings. Did it drop out of my truck?

Mice, ground pigs, squirrels, skunks, and starlings - GRRRRRRRR!

·
Registered
17 Posts
As someone else mentioned I would suggest getting what are called "feral cats." Don't let the name "feral" scare you. It just means cats when young weren't around humans and thus are shy around humans. They won't attack etc. If anything they will run from humans. There are degrees of how afraid of humans these cats are. They typically don't make good indoor cats.

When my wife and I moved into our new house, the main electric harness in my wife's new car was eaten through either by mice or moles. Our house has around 6 acres. I understand the insulation in some newer wiring is made using soy and other material that mice and moles find appealing.

Our solution was to get feral cats that you can usually get from animal shelters. What they typically do before giving you these cats is neuter them so you don't get a large increase in cats. Usually they have plenty and are looking for homes for these cats.

What you need to do when you get the cats is cage them for a period of time on your property (say 3 weeks) while feeding them and giving them water. That way they learn where their new home is. They need to be placed where they see and get use to their new surroundings.

Even though they may get some mice as food, you still need to give them food and water. One site says that if you don't feed the cats they aren't as good of mousers if they are hungry.

For us, having feral cats has solved or mice/mole issue. We have occasionally had to replace some cats due to some leaving/dying. Occasionally we find dead mice/moles around but that is better than live ones.

I understand at least some farmers have cats like this around their farm to reduce mice and moles. A relative out west with a farm had what he called a "cat house." Unfortunately his cats weren't neutered so they kept increasing.

If you have any questions either post or PM. Hope this gives you another idea.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have found that the ONLY thing that works, is poison. I have 3 plastic poison boxes, as well as mouse traps, and glue traps in my tractor barn. I HATE mice...and hate the thought of a hawk or owl being poisoned but...I honestly think it's rare. I've never actually seen a dead mouse just laying around. They start to get sick, go down into their den, and die.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
as well as mouse traps, and glue traps in my tractor barn.
I can't use glue traps. We tried some once, and what came out didn't look recognizable as a mouse, but it was still moving around. It was like something out of a horror movie. I hate mice, but mice that look like melted mutants are even worse!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have found that the ONLY thing that works, is poison. I have 3 plastic poison boxes, as well as mouse traps, and glue traps in my tractor barn. I HATE mice...and hate the thought of a hawk or owl being poisoned but...I honestly think it's rare. I've never actually seen a dead mouse just laying around. They start to get sick, go down into their den, and die.
I've used the green tom cat blocks in my crawl space, and I've found numerous dead mice out in my yard, maybe 15 feet from the house. I believe the poison is intended to make them go search for water so they don't die in your walls.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts