Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Dryer sheets, Irish Spring soap, and moth balls - myths from my experience.

I use Tomcat green bait blocks. Not sure if they work since I never see the dead mice. I see some chew marks on the bait. So something must be eating them.

Just yesterday I saw a mouse running along the machinery shed rafters. I have bait blocks in the shed. How do you attract mice to them (here mousey mousey)?

And also yesterday I saw a mouse lying on the gravel drive under my truck. I went to pick it up and it was still "kicking" (but not for long). Where did it come from? The truck is parked out in the open and away from any buildings. Did it drop out of my truck?

Mice, ground pigs, squirrels, skunks, and starlings - GRRRRRRRR!
What I've heard is Tomcat bait blocks cause something inside the mice to make them go to a water source or just go out and die in the driveway. Had a shop at a place I bought that was full of mice and rats. I put a whole 5 gallon bucket of Tomcat in there. A few days later there were dead and dying mice and rats laying around a puddle of water outside the barn with several more laying around in the yard.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,794 Posts
Most mouse/rat poisons do cause thirst to make the rodents seek out a source of water, with the idea being they'll vacate the building where they are to get to water. I think I've read where the water actually activates something that causes them to die.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Poison seems to be the answer...

Bigger issue is How to keep them out of this particular machine.

Its a bit of a task to remove all the body work to get to where they nest.

On the plus side ..all the Panels are washed and waxed . Way easier while they are off.

I don't want to put poison in the "nesting" spot as I'll be smelling it forever...Its on top of Hydro tank which gets pretty Hot and directly next to seat. Not sure what to put in as a deterant......I know what Don't Work.

Also found 3 broken wires..! to the starter and 2 to alternator...all in the same location.
Odd that the other 2 wires..all 5 taped together...show No signs of fatigue at all..I don't understand how this occured but its nearly fixed.
Ran 300' of power cord down to the pond where machine is so I can get these soldered up tomorrow ...shrink wrapped and all that happy stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
These are a lot better than stringing out 300’ of cord and they get hotter faster.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Duke,

I will be following this thread as well!

I just arrived at our place in Central Texas and found a bunch of mouse damage. The previous owner had mice poison everywhere in pvc pipes to keep larger animals out of it. Just found a dead hawk in the backyard that I believe lived in one of the large trees in the backyard. Could not figure out what would have killed the hawk. I wonder if possibly the mouse poison that I put out killed it because he ate a poisoned mouse. I specifically asked where I bought it if it would kill an animal that ate it, was told no, not this this type.

So I would sure like to hear some suggestions as well. We are not here enough to have cats. I’m sure they would end up being eaten, but that will probably be part of the answer when we move here which can’t be soon enough...

Thanks,
Steve
it most certainly will kill any predator that eats it.
You need some barn cats if you have mice issues and no more poisons!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
The only repellant I've had 100 percent success with is a light. I've got cat. Downside is he spends a lot of time pursuing birds, lizards, bunnies, etc., which doesn't solve the mouse/rat problem. If it parks outside around here, I pop the hood and put an LED light on the engine. Much cheaper than the $1500 it cost to replace the complete wiring harness on a Honda. I've found the light also doesn't piss and crap it places I don't want it to. Since you have all the access covers pulled on your machine, could you wire in a lighting system?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The cats help but won’t get them all. Poison is the same. I use sticky traps inside, it gets them eventually but yes, it is cruel. Steel wool? It does work for me but it has to be a very confined area, in my case the boxes where my tail lights on my trailer are mounted. I filled that area with steel wool. In an area like your mini exec where they built a nest it might not be as effective. I don’t think there is a 100% method, the can chew stuff up, build a nest etc in one night.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have had mouse problems for years, once had to rewire a my wife's Mercedes because a mouse chewed up the main wiring harness and the dealer wanted $12K to fix it. I had to take apart the firewall of both of our cars to add screens on the cabin air intake to keep the little beggars out of the duct work.

I use poison bait stations, traps, a bucket trap in the barn. They help but do not solve the problem. You need to keep on top of it.

One thing that will help in your situation is to pressure wash out all the droppings and then spray some bleach in that area. Then wash it again. Mice are funny in the fact that they are attracted to their own feces and urine. So the next generation will come back to nest there if it still stinks.

I have tried all the tricks and have yet to find one that works, don't fall for the ultrasonic things that you can buy on amazon. I have one in both cars and they don't do anything.

Good luck I understand your struggle!

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,794 Posts
I can’t remember exactly how small of a hole that a mouse can fit through but it’s tiny.
Supposedly as small as 1/4" I've heard...

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is no 100 percent solution, however, you must make an effort! What works for us is
1. poison.
2. Keeping the machine clean.
3. Leave no paper towels, trash or food in the machine.
4. Moth balls under hood and in tight areas (outside cab as they do smell bad).
5. Be prepared to refresh all the above regularly!

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I can’t remember exactly how small of a hole that a mouse can fit through but it’s tiny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
if it isnt big enough they know how to fix that......

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
The only repellant I've had 100 percent success with is a light. I've got cat. Downside is he spends a lot of time pursuing birds, lizards, bunnies, etc., which doesn't solve the mouse/rat problem. If it parks outside around here, I pop the hood and put an LED light on the engine. Much cheaper than the $1500 it cost to replace the complete wiring harness on a Honda. I've found the light also doesn't piss and crap it places I don't want it to. Since you have all the access covers pulled on your machine, could you wire in a lighting system?
Ive used light to keep rats out for years.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also had mice regularly in a car I did not use often. Constantly spending a ton of time steam cleaning the carpets etc so they would not come back to their smell. Finally, after thorough multi-hour cleaning, I added bounce dryer sheets (a whole box of the regular scent) on the seats and floors and all over. They came in one more time (there was evidence), but after that left it alone. The car had a strong bounce dryer sheet smell after that for a very long time. In the engine compartment I added a rid-a-rat, which is a flashing battery powered LED, and that kept them out of there.

I used to have a lot of mice in the garage - leaving their droppings all over...now I just left the lights on 24/7 and added some snap traps - oh and exposed the walls so there is no where for them to hide really. Very occasionally, I'll catch one, but no more evidence of mice.

From my experience, they do not like the light, and do not like the smell of bounce dryer sheets.

On the other hand, it could have been the weasel I saw run across the driveway that got rid of them.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
There are mice around my place including in my pole barn but they don't get into any of the vehicles that are in there, even the Jeep xj that's been in there since 2010, it still smells good inside with no signs of mice. I think it's because they would rather nest in the fiberglass insulation in the office walls and ceiling instead. That's all I can figure anyways.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve always heard dryer sheets do the trick?? I have done it with success or I’m just lucky. I had them in my garage once and my father in law said to leave a radio play 24/7. So I do and there again three moves later and now we live on the edge of town with field mostly around us and no mice. I don’t mind snakes but they always end up dead around me. It’s weird.
Yeah, I did the dryer sheet thing. Worked real good. For the mice! They had nice smelling soft nests made from dryer sheets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have found that leaving the hoods open on my garden tractors seems to keep them from nesting in them. I have them parked in one one of those portable (disposable) sheds from Harbor Freight right on the edge of the woods. For the last two winters, I've had the hoods up and no mice in those tractors. In my other shed, where the 1025 is parked, I have some of the heavy wire type of steel shelving that I put on the ground. They are pretty heavy duty. I park the 1025 on 4 of these racks keeping the tires off the ground. I've had no mice in it for the last two winters either. My thinking is that the mice just won't go through the trouble to tight-rope walk across the wire racks to the tires of the machine. It may not be the perfect solution but it's worked two winters for me.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts