Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Michelin has announced that 100,000 tires are included in this recall. So far, it is limited to M / S 2, LTX, and one or two others.

A retailer noticed holes on new tires that deflated quickly. Michelin has said that a tire handling machine damaged the sidewalls.

I have owned more than one set of the M / S 2 tires and have had zero issues.

Michelin is supposed to contact you by mail if you own any of the recalled tires.

Should you want more info, contact Michelin at 1-855-851-4951.

Reactions: farmgirl19

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
It seems that many of the tires/tire companies are going down hill. Not many are made in the US any more and the larger US based ones like Cooper have now sold to foreign companies.

I have Michelins on my new truck and I really like them. But many on forums do not for one reason or another.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems that many of the tires/tire companies are going down hill. Not many are made in the US any more and the larger US based ones like Cooper have now sold to foreign companies.

I have Michelins on my new truck and I really like them. But many on forums do not for one reason or another.
Yeah, seems like it won't be too many years before most large American born companies will no longer be American owned. Don't know what the percentage is estimated at now. Sad. Who would've believed it 50 to 60 years ago? Our country is in trouble.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Yeah, seems like it won't be too many years before most large American born companies will no longer be American owned. Don't know what the percentage is estimated at now. Sad. Who would've believed it 50 to 60 years ago? Our country is in trouble.
And we are doing it to are selves. People say they want quality, but wont pay for it. I'm amazed at how many friends and co-workers that don't know or care where the products they buy are made.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I was disappointed to hear Cooper sold. I'm a big fan of their tires, have a set of AT3s on my truck now.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And we are doing it to are selves. People say they want quality, but wont pay for it. I'm amazed at how many friends and co-workers that don't know or care where the products they buy are made.
You have a valid point. One move I made back in 2004 was to no longer shop at Walmart or Sam's Club.

Been trying to buy US made products as much as possible. Getting harder to find 100% American made tools that fit every purpose.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

I didn't know Cooper sold out? That sucks. I've been running their tires on my trucks for many years.

I've also always had good luck with Michelins. They seem to last forever. I tried the $100 tires and even though the Michelins cost almost twice as much, they lasted almost 3 times as long and had excellent performance.

These companies are going to screw themselves right out of business.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I didn't know Cooper sold out? That sucks. I've been running their tires on my trucks for many years.

I've also always had good luck with Michelins. They seem to last forever. I tried the $100 tires and even though the Michelins cost almost twice as much, they lasted almost 3 times as long and had excellent performance.

These companies are going to screw themselves right out of business.
Never had much luck with Michelin Truck tires myself. Their line is too limited to meet our needs.
We have better luck with the Cooper line, and the value is in not getting stuck as well as mileage.

On the Bikes, the Pilot sport tires have been good though, and Michelin QC is legendary.

That is a LOT of defective tires to somehow "Slip by", and indicates a serious degradation of quality control.

The various Tire company's selling out to foreign competitors, are no different than many other domestic manufacturing outfits.
They are faced with going under, if they continue to manufacture in the States.
Too many legislative obstructions, Taxes, fees, and excessive costs, that the foreign outfits do not have to deal with.
Folks voted for "Change", and they are getting it.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts

Coppers biggest problem was they could never land an OE contract, they never had their own tire stores and we're stuck in aftermarket in independent stores.

Who's left? Goodyear and Titan are the two I can think of.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I thought Cooper always used to brag that they weren't an OEM for anyone, so they could offer the tires that consumers want, not what manufacturers demand? I seem to recall reading that somewhere, but maybe it was just fancy ad spin.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
After problens with Goodyear on my trucks, I switched to Michelins many years ago, I have been happy with them, and won't run anything else on my trucks.

I also haven' set foot in a Walmart since 1983, with one exception and they were all that was in the small town of Big Spring, TX, when I had a flat on my travel trailer, and needed a new tire on a Sunday afternoon. Had ANYTHING else been open, I'd have paid twice the price to avoid them then!

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Coppers biggest problem was they could never land an OE contract, they never had their own tire stores and we're stuck in aftermarket in independent stores.

Who's left? Goodyear and Titan are the two I can think of.
I thought I read recently that Goodyear had sold out. Can't confirm that though, so maybe someone else knows if it is true or a rumor.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After problens with Goodyear on my trucks, I switched to Michelins many years ago, I have been happy with them, and won't run anything else on my trucks.

I also haven' set foot in a Walmart since 1983, with one exception and they were all that was in the small town of Big Spring, TX, when I had a flat on my travel trailer, and needed a new tire on a Sunday afternoon. Had ANYTHING else been open, I'd have paid twice the price to avoid them then!
Here I go again getting off topic. :laugh: Wish I would've quit shopping at that place much sooner. Actually, towards the end, I was only buying fishing and hunting licenses there and nothing else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts