Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody!

I found this unbelievable deal on a 100 sitting in a front yard a couple doors down for $200 while walking Charlie, "my corgi". Looked to be in great shape so asked him about it and he said it was from his place up north, (what we Michiganders say when we mean anywhere in the fingers area of the mitten).

He said it ran great up there last year but he thought the float was stuck since he put gas in it and it just ran through it and the battery was dead. Well I knew when he said ran great last year and it looked loved not beaten, I wasn't going back home without it. I asked him if he would take $150 just because it's in my nature, and he said sure. I expected a flat out no or maybe a reluctant counter of $175. He had an extra set of blades in his shop for it and towed me on my new 100 home with his giant J.D., not sure what model, Charlie walked.

So I tap lightly on the float housing, fill it with gas, put in a new battery, put it in N, slide the throttle up to choke, push in the clutch, turned the key and vroom, it fired right up. So I started doing a happy dance in the garage in disbelief and overjoyment.

I ordered a missing deck bolt, clutch pedal rubber cover, a manual and a 10p utility cart.

Probably will get a blade, weights & chains & a 50 dump cart sometime in the future.

Anyway that's my story, glad to be here and here's my Tractor.

I call it Spirit which is short for Spirit of '76 since it's a 1976 and J.D. is an icon of American Pride, it just seems to fit.

IMG_20140715_194923-picsay.jpg :usa

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
:wgtt:
From CT

That's a great story, you sure got a deal on that tractor. :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: Spirit of 76

·
Premium Member
14,916 Posts
Nice looking seems like pretty good deal

Welcome from West Virginia

·
Administrator
20,906 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

Cool story! And nice picture.:good2:

You'll be on Gizmo's good side right away. (He always throws a fit over having no pictures:mocking:)

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,849 Posts
Welcome to GTT Spirit of 76.
Seems to me you happen to be in the right place at the right time. :thumbup1gif:
Good luck with it.
BTW, Nice picture.

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts

Congrats on getting the last of the "round fenders" JDs. The 100 was a great lawn tractor for it's day, replacing the model 70. It was built from 1975 to 1978, making it a pretty short run, which means their not as plentiful as some of the other JD models. We considered the 100 as vintage, so the best place to discuss it is in our Vintage L&G section. More specifically in this section here: Lawn Tractors & Rear Engine Riders

I almost purchase a 100 a month or so ago, but it wasn't near as nice as yours and needed a carb. Those carbs on that model Briggs is hard to find today. Your 100 has the side panels. It's hard to find a 100 with the side panels still there, as most got lost over the years. All 100s came out of the factory with side panels, but they got taken off for some reason or the other, and a lot of them got lost. Here is more info on the 100 from WFM.

The John Deere 100 Series Lawn Tractors
The Model 100
The model 100 was introduced for the 1975 model year and replaced the model 70 as the only Lawn Tractor offered in the Deere lineup. As with most lawn tractors, the model 100 was primarily designed for mowing, snow removal & light grading work. Unlike the larger Garden Tractors, the model 100 was not designed or intended for use with ground engaging equipment (i.e., tillers, cultivators, etc.). The model 100 retained most of the basic design features that had been successfully utilized on the previous 60 and 70 lawn tractor models. The chassis, drive train, power take-off (PTO), steering and manual lift linkage remained fundamentally unchanged. Prominent features of the model 100 included:

8-HP Briggs & Stratton model 190707 engine

3-speed Peerless 1200 series transaxle

Cup/Cone Power Take-Off (PTO) clutch

Manual lift linkage

One piece fiberglass combination hood/grill

Engine side panels (for aesthetics & noise reduction)

Wide footrests (similar to pre-1968 110/112 design)

Round fender rear deck (like 60/70 models)
Power transfer to the transaxle was accomplished via a two-belt system. The primary belt transferred power from the crankshaft to a mid-mounted, two-pulley counter sheave. The secondary belt transferred power from the counter sheave to the transaxle. Tension on the secondary belt could be controlled via the clutch pedal (located on lower left side of pedestal), which was coupled to the secondary belt idler pulley. It should be noted that the counter sheave pulley geometry was fixed and was not a "variator" sheave design (as used in the 110/112 & original 200 series). Braking was accomplished through application of the brake pedal (located on lower right side of pedestal), which caused a brake band to tighten around the brake drum attached to the transaxle brake shaft. A lever located on the upper right side of the pedestal controlled the single pulley manual PTO clutch.
Both the manual lift linkage and the tractor accessory attachment points remained unchanged from the previous designs, which permitted continued use of the model 60 and 70 attachments. Deere attachments & accessories marketed for use with the model 100 included:

34 Rotary Mower

32 and 32A Snow Throwers

40 Front Blade (42-inch straight cut)

31 and 38 Lawn Sweepers (pull behind)

50 and 80 Dumpcarts

5B Sprayer

Rear wheel weights & tire chains

Chrome front & rear wheel covers

Hour meter Kit
The basic design of the model 100 remained unchanged throughout its four-year production run although some minor changes did occur. No headlight option was ever offered. The estimated weight was 470 lbs when equipped with the model 34 rotary mower and 390 lbs w/o the mower. The serial number ranges for the model 100 production years are as follows:
YearSerial NumberEngine
197530001-55000Briggs & Stratton 190707 (8hp)
197655001-70000Briggs & Stratton 190707 (8hp)
197770001-80000Briggs & Stratton 190707 (8hp)
197880001-95000Briggs & Stratton 190707 (8hp)
Model 100 summary by Bob Decker, Photo from John Deere advertising literature. 7/21/2003

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
:gtfam:

Neat story, and a great deal!!!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
:hi::wgtt:

Welcome from the top of Maine!

$150? Was the guy drunk?:laugh: Awesome deal.........congrats!!:good2:

·
Super Moderator
5,589 Posts
:gtfam:
That thing looks to be in excellent condition!
What a deal indeed!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow!

Congrats on getting the last of the "round fenders" JDs. The 100 was a great lawn tractor for it's day, replacing the model 70. It was built from 1975 to 1978, making it a pretty short run, which means their not as plentiful as some of the other JD models. We considered the 100 as vintage, so the best place to discuss it is in our Vintage L&G section. More specifically in this section here: Lawn Tractors & Rear Engine Riders

I almost purchase a 100 a month or so ago, but it wasn't near as nice as yours and needed a carb. Those carbs on that model Briggs is hard to find today. Your 100 has the side panels. It's hard to find a 100 with the side panels still there, as most got lost over the years. All 100s came out of the factory with side panels, but they got taken off for some reason or the other, and a lot of them got lost. Here is more info on the 100 from WFM.

The John Deere 100 Series Lawn Tractors
The Model 100
The model 100 was introduced for the 1975 model year and replaced the model 70 as the only Lawn Tractor offered in the Deere lineup. As with most lawn tractors, the model 100 was primarily designed for mowing, snow removal & light grading work. Unlike the larger Garden Tractors, the model 100 was not designed or intended for use with ground engaging equipment (i.e., tillers, cultivators, etc.). The model 100 retained most of the basic design features that had been successfully utilized on the previous 60 and 70 lawn tractor models. The chassis, drive train, power take-off (PTO), steering and manual lift linkage remained fundamentally unchanged. Prominent features of the model 100 included:

8-HP Briggs & Stratton model 190707 engine

3-speed Peerless 1200 series transaxle

Cup/Cone Power Take-Off (PTO) clutch

Manual lift linkage

One piece fiberglass combination hood/grill

Engine side panels (for aesthetics & noise reduction)

Wide footrests (similar to pre-1968 110/112 design)

Round fender rear deck (like 60/70 models)
Power transfer to the transaxle was accomplished via a two-belt system. The primary belt transferred power from the crankshaft to a mid-mounted, two-pulley counter sheave. The secondary belt transferred power from the counter sheave to the transaxle. Tension on the secondary belt could be controlled via the clutch pedal (located on lower left side of pedestal), which was coupled to the secondary belt idler pulley. It should be noted that the counter sheave pulley geometry was fixed and was not a "variator" sheave design (as used in the 110/112 & original 200 series). Braking was accomplished through application of the brake pedal (located on lower right side of pedestal), which caused a brake band to tighten around the brake drum attached to the transaxle brake shaft. A lever located on the upper right side of the pedestal controlled the single pulley manual PTO clutch.
Both the manual lift linkage and the tractor accessory attachment points remained unchanged from the previous designs, which permitted continued use of the model 60 and 70 attachments. Deere attachments & accessories marketed for use with the model 100 included:

34 Rotary Mower

32 and 32A Snow Throwers

40 Front Blade (42-inch straight cut)

31 and 38 Lawn Sweepers (pull behind)

50 and 80 Dumpcarts

5B Sprayer

Rear wheel weights & tire chains

Chrome front & rear wheel covers

Hour meter Kit
The basic design of the model 100 remained unchanged throughout its four-year production run although some minor changes did occur. No headlight option was ever offered. The estimated weight was 470 lbs when equipped with the model 34 rotary mower and 390 lbs w/o the mower. The serial number ranges for the model 100 production years are as follows:
YearSerial NumberEngine
197530001-55000Briggs & Stratton 190707 (8hp)
197655001-70000Briggs & Stratton 190707 (8hp)
197770001-80000Briggs & Stratton 190707 (8hp)
197880001-95000Briggs & Stratton 190707 (8hp)
Model 100 summary by Bob Decker, Photo from John Deere advertising literature. 7/21/2003
Thanks for all the awesome info!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe....

:hi::wgtt:

Welcome from the top of Maine!

$150? Was the guy drunk?:laugh: Awesome deal.........congrats!!:good2:
I think he just didn't need it and wanted to unload it. I got lucky. He had 2 other brand new bigger ones, so I think he just wanted room in his garage. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts

Very nice 100! :thumbup1gif: But you really should go back & give the poor soul more money! :greentractorride: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have a 1978-100 that I hope to have looking that good --- someday! ~~ Lowell

1 - 20 of 40 Posts