Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys store your mid mount mower in the up right position during winter time?

I originally purchased a kit that put it on wheels to slide around in the upright position, however it leaked fluid all winter and then half way through next summer the gear box failed on me. I did refile the gear box before first use of the year and the gear box was covered under warranty at the time and i am now out of warranty. I wanted to make sure what happened to me was just a fluke before i put it upright again this year.

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
913 Posts
Some folks report that their gearboxes have leaked when the MMM is stored vertically. Many others have never had it happen to them. The best advice I've seen is to remove the vented fill plug from the top of the gearbox, and to replace it with the same size threaded bolt for vertical storage.

When I do that I wrap a small wire around the bolt head, and use the same wire to hang the removed vented plug on it. That way there's a reminder to switch them when you return the MMM to service, and I don't have to try to recall where I stored the vented fill plug.

·
Administrator
18,542 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Every time I mow I take it off to clean it and I store it standing up and I've never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
I thought that vent plug was an NPT thread . :dunno:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I used the Mower Deck Axles last winter, no leaks from the gearbox, and it keeps the deck off the ground, minimizing rust

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
Reactions: PJR832 and Robnik

·
Registered
751 Posts
I store mine in the garage every winter. I set the rear guide wheels down a couple of holes, roll it over to the wall, place a 1/2 x 3 board under the latch mechanism, and use a ratchet strap ans secure it to the wall... just to be sure a cat doesn't walk behind the deck and push it over. So far, so good... no leaks, no problems...

And, yes, I know it's dirty, but winter showed up unexpectedly last Thursday and it hasn't warmed up since.

DSCF8380.JPG

·
Registered
837 Posts
I store mine in the garage every winter. I set the rear guide wheels down a couple of holes, roll it over to the wall, place a 1/2 x 3 board under the latch mechanism, and use a ratchet strap ans secure it to the wall... just to be sure a cat doesn't walk behind the deck and push it over. So far, so good... no leaks, no problems...

And, yes, I know it's dirty, but winter showed up unexpectedly last Thursday and it hasn't warmed up since.

View attachment 479458
Erik, I take it you don't like stopping or going the speed limit on your street?:unknown:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Erik, I take it you don't like stopping or going the speed limit on your street?:unknown:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: The town dump, and town's highway department share the same scrap iron box.... :laugh::laugh:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,286 Posts
Stored it up right last year. Storing it this year laying flat on a pallet. Because I have the room. :dunno: :laugh:

·
Premium Member
13,874 Posts
I just put mine on a pallet and stored it in one of our hay wagons in the machinery shed, but I also realize not everyone has the option of a 60' x 120' shed.

·
Administrator
18,542 Posts
What 's the wheel kit you're using to store the mower in the up-right position. I never thought of that in the past.

Thanks.
Welcome,
Not sure who you are asking, but in my reply (post #3) there is a link under the picture.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do any of you guys store your mid mount mower in the up right position during winter time?

I originally purchased a kit that put it on wheels to slide around in the upright position, however it leaked fluid all winter and then half way through next summer the gear box failed on me. I did refile the gear box before first use of the year and the gear box was covered under warranty at the time and i am now out of warranty. I wanted to make sure what happened to me was just a fluke before i put it upright again this year.

Thanks,
Andrew
Are you sure that the fluid that leaked out was oil? I bought a used 62D mower deck from a dealer and haven't installed it on my 2520 yet. When I installed wheels on it so that I could tip it on its edge for storage over the winter I noticed a puddle on the cement floor beneath the vent cap the following day. Interestingly, the puddle was gone the second day. I suspect that the fluid that came out of my vent cap was water from the previous owner or dealer storing the mower outside for a period of time. I plan to open the gear box up and inspect it prior to installing it on the tractor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bolt size

What's the bolt size needed to replace the bleeder plug? I saw NTP bolt type just trying to make my trip efficent to get the right bolt.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts