Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at my options for a 1025R and the right equipment to buy the first time. Any info on the mowing quality of a mid vs a rear mower would help me on the decision process. The rear discharge on a hitch mount sounds like it would spread the grass more evenly in heavy or wet conditions. True?

I know the drive-on is nice, but so is the quick hitch. I don't THINK the wide swing in back is going to be an issue.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had a similar question when I started looking, but soon realized that I would almost have to have a MMM, since I mow around a lot of trees on my property.

As for the MMM, I love it. Cuts very well. The mount and dismount is easy, and quick.

I think the one draw back to the MMM is the adjustment to get a nice cut. Seems to be a drawn out procedure, although I have not had to do it as the dealer did a great job setting up my machine from the start.

Good luck, hope my $.02 was helpful.

BTW- Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
The MMM does a good job of spreading the clippings. No wind rowing like my old GT does.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Behind my 8N and 4410 I used a KK 60" side discharge finishing mower. It was great. Also, with a little practice I was able to get it in places the MMM just can't get, like deep in corners.

With that said, I like having the MMM, it gives me the option of a pull behind also and make grass cutting fast when time is an issue.

Either will give a great cut and there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

·
Premium Member
19,568 Posts
Just my 2 cents,, 10-11 yrs ago ordered a new 2210 and rear 60" finish mower. Salesman called the next evening after being delivered and asked me how I like the mower. Mower was fine just would take time getting used to mowing with rear mower after mowing for past 20 yrs with a mmm .
He told me he would pick up the tractor and mower and put on a mmm in place of the rear.
Liked the rear mower but if you have always used a mmm and very, very seldom used a rear mower it does take time making the adjustment .
For me I was accustom of mowing close to certain things and just wasn't able to the few hours I had used the rear mower. Came close to taking out the fence around the garden .

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
I bought the 3PH finishing mower. I know I would have prefered the MMM but I found a good deal second hand on the 3PH. Some day I might upgrade to a MMM or watch for a good second hand zero turn unit.

That said, I like the cut with my 3PH finishing mower, it is a 5 foot Buhler. Very simple design but is not quick hitch compatible so I had to buy a kit for it.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
I have both for my 1026r. I use the MMM for the most part. If I have a lot of grass to mow, meaning acres, or need to trim close around the yard I use the 3PH finish mower. Clippings is not a problem for either one. If you have low hanging trees and cannot get under them with your MMM then the 3PH mower is great. The 3PH mower will take some serious getting use to. I use to use them on the farm many years ago. I still run over things that tend to get int the road of turning the tractor:laugh: The biggest thing, if you do not have a lot of open ground to use a 3PH mower I would not get one.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all very much. Good information. Sounds as long as it is wide with respect to quality.

Leaning towards the 3PH Rear unit. I will have to Bush Hog also so I'll get the hang of something out the back. I played with my cousin's 3320 and a rear mower and didn't have an issue. Liked being able to back into the corners to square off when needed. With the HST it made quick work of it.

·
Premium Member
13,694 Posts
Thank you all very much. Good information. Sounds as long as it is wide with respect to quality.

Leaning towards the 3PH Rear unit. I will have to Bush Hog also so I'll get the hang of something out the back. I played with my cousin's 3320 and a rear mower and didn't have an issue. Liked being able to back into the corners to square off when needed. With the HST it made quick work of it.
Fred,

I have a 2305 with a 60" Befco side discharge 3pt finish mower. I have also had tractors with MMM's as well.

Just like anything, it takes some getting used to. Once I figured out the best angle of attack for my yard, I can cut about as fast with the rear mount as I could with a mmm. Both have thier advantages and disadvantages and most of those have been convered pretty well. What works well for one is anothers headache. You know your needs best.

Everytime I read the threads about issues with the drive-over / auto connect system, I go give my old 3pt mower deck a shot of grease and some TLC. If you're gonna take the deck on/off much, I would suggest the rear mount. I don't have a quick hitch, but it only takes me a couple minutes to connect or disconnect. I can drop my deck anywhere I want to in the shop or the yard. My setup never changes and nothing needs adjusted or fiddled with. When it is sitting on the shop floor, I can easily move it anywhere I want to, it has its own casters.

60" is the max that I would consider a side discharge chute. Over that you have a lot of grass comming out the side. In heavy grass there is still a lot of grass comming out of my deck and it is hard not to leave a noticable row of cut grass. (Mine scatters it over 6 feet). If I were to buy another one, I would definately lean toward the rear discharge, especially for field mowing.

As far as MMM's go, I like the 62C deck I had on my 2210. It took a couple minutes to connect/disconnect but it was reliable. The only down side to it was needing the space beside the tractor to pull it out. I'm glad I still have the option of putting this same deck on my 2305 if I ever want a mmm.

For dependability and reliability, I like the KISS principle (and my rear mount finish mower).

·
Premium Member
19,568 Posts
Forgot to mention rear discharge will give you rows of grass, at least my fil mower deck does compared to side discharge will fan it out over a 4-6' area depending.
I can see every row my fil mows compared to a nice looking lawn with side discharge. If you rake your lawn once in a while get rear discharge
Just my 2 cents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.