Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 model 1025R and my wife uses it to mow our lawn. When I got home from work she informed me that the tractor was making a terrible noise. The cross and bearing on the auto-connect mower PTO had broken and the cross bar with the connector attached was on the ground. How was the cross bar attached to the arms? Maybe held with a spot weld?

·
Super Moderator
2,242 Posts
First, welcome to GTT.

Second, you'll get more responses if you post your questions in the appropriate sections. Your question would be appropriate for the SCUT or the Implement section.

Third, the cross you found is part of the u-joint. It isn't held by welding but has end caps with needle bearings. The caps are usually pressed into the arms of the driveshaft, and usually retained with snap clips.

·
Super Moderator
2,242 Posts
I see the Mod's moved this to the SCUT section.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

:wgtt:

·
Registered
375 Posts
The original design was a three piece unit where the cross bar was attached to the lift arms with nuts. JD changed the design to a one piece welded unit (arms and cross bar are welded) because the thinner threaded section of the cross bar was breaking. If your cross bar is silver it once had nuts on the ends that have snapped off.

Edited to add: Here is a picture from another thread (thread link below) posted by mdgilbreath. The old lift arm setup (behind) is gold/silver and the new one (front) is black.

Lift Arm Old New.jpg

Here is a post regarding the replacement arm setup: https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/18593-broken-mid-mount-mower-lift-mechanism-10.html#post2919458

·
Super Moderator
2,242 Posts
Oh my....thanks Traction. My mind was set on the u-joint. I've heard often people on the forum asking about "the cross", and it ends up being the u-joint. Tunnel vision on my part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The original design was a three piece unit where the cross bar was attached to the lift arms with nuts. JD changed the design to a one piece welded unit (arms and cross bar are welded) because the thinner threaded section of the cross bar was breaking. If your cross bar is silver it once had nuts on the ends that have snapped off.

Edited to add: Here is a picture from another thread (thread link below) posted by mdgilbreath. The old lift arm setup (behind) is gold/silver and the new one (front) is black.

View attachment 692006

Here is a post regarding the replacement arm setup: https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/18593-broken-mid-mount-mower-lift-mechanism-10.html#post2919458[/QUOTE
After reading through many posts I see I will have to bite the bullet and upgrade to the “new and improved” assembly. Thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts