Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 855 tractor-24 horse- John Deere of course. I'm looking to buy a middle buster. I want to use it to help lay in some 4 inch sewer pipe for the run off of roof rainwater. I've looked at CountryLine at Tractor supply & I think that brand can do it because I have nothing but clay soil here, no rocks. Then there is King Kutter at Northern Tool, and the last one I've seen is from Lowery manufacturing.com Lowery Manufacturing, Inc. -LMC Farm Equipment

The Lowery appears to be a really well made tool & can go deeper than any of the others. It has plenty of clearance between the top of the point blade and the cross frame so, you have a lot of clearance for removing the soil & rolling it over. Between all of these middle busters, they average about $150. except the Lowery runs around $195-200. I know I could do the job with the less beefier tools, but the Lowery is tempting for the extra $50. Any of you fells out there have experience with these middle busters, let me know what you think.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
I had a King Kutter middle buster, and I believe it's made by the same company that builds County Line. It wouldn't go deep enough for what I was doing so I bought the KK subsoiler and put the wide middle buster foot on it. It works well when paired with an appropriate tractor.

I think you'd be in good shape with any of the three you listed. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
381 Posts
I also have an 855....
I have pulled my home made middle buster full depth for short distances...

I'm going to say if you have hard clay ground, you might try to make several passes...
First with a sub soil tool at progressive depths to you finished depth...
Then progressive passes with the middle buster to open the ground to the width you need...

Both the sub soil tool, and the middle buster mount into the receiver hitch socket....
I ground a sharper edge on the sub soil shank because of tree roots...
The middle buster doesn't roll over a lot of soil because of the narrow cultivator sweeps..
But it did break up the soil well...
I do have my rear turf tires loaded... That seems to help a lot...
Good luck...
===
ProjectsRev2.jpg

Reactions: robpm and Maddog

·
Registered
892 Posts
I bent my homemade subsoiler. It was 2x2 1/4" wall receiver stock. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397561854.601681.jpg
I sure didn't think that was going to happen...

Jim

Reactions: Maddog

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bent my homemade subsoiler. It was 2x2 1/4" wall receiver stock. View attachment 27052
I sure didn't think that was going to happen...

Jim
Most of what I've been reading about these tools generally points to middle buster or subsoiler failure when the main body is fabed out of square tube. You would not think that could happen! I see now that most of the well made tools are made with a 3/4 inch thick by at least 4 inch wide main frame-that is the frame or arn that the subsoiler blade or the middle buster plow is attached to. It's a very interesting to me. Who would of thunk all that goes into the making of such a simple looking, low functioning tool. Sorry! I didn't want to- but I did get a chckle from that photo of yours.

Thanks Maddog

·
Registered
892 Posts
No worries, it gave me a chance to play with tools, and weld things up. The cultivator did work quite well, I was just trying to combine 2 tools into 1. Live and learn. FWIW, what I welded did stay together... :lol:

Jim

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
bentsubsoiler2.jpg

This is why I mentioned the part about "paired with an appropriate tractor."

That's a TSC subsoiler, after being pulled by a 5320 and hitting a large buried rock. :laugh:

·
Administrator
20,976 Posts
View attachment 27109

This is why I mentioned the part about "paired with an appropriate tractor."

That's a TSC subsoiler, after being pulled by a 5320 and hitting a large buried rock. :laugh:
"Hold my beer. Watch this." :lol:

Things happen quick with more HP.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yup, anything can break. Here's a 10K rated recovery hook after getting pulled apparently too hard with my Jeep, never did find the other part of it... :mocking:

IMG_2567.png

Jim

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No worries, it gave me a chance to play with tools, and weld things up. The cultivator did work quite well, I was just trying to combine 2 tools into 1. Live and learn. FWIW, what I welded did stay together... :lol:

Jim
Jim- If I had a welding outfit, I would go down the same road as you & try my hand at building my own middle buster and several other implements. To a lot of people it would be work- to me its just fun to mess around with some of this stuff.

Thanks
Maddog:mocking:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Ya. Welding is fun. Working on a real swing set for the kids. Now that I have 2 legs tacked in place I am not sure how I'm going to get it out if the garage... ;)

This will probably be my first time using flux core wire outside.

Jim

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya. Welding is fun. Working on a real swing set for the kids. Now that I have 2 legs tacked in place I am not sure how I'm going to get it out if the garage... ;)

This will probably be my first time using flux core wire outside.

Jim
Good Luck with it.
Maddog

·
Registered
291 Posts
Have you looked at the Frontier middle buster? Mine is built like typical Frontier equipment and was reasonably priced.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I already picked up a Tarter one. I had a coupon at Theisens. ;)

Jim

·
Registered
89 Posts
Have you looked at the Frontier middle buster? Mine is built like typical Frontier equipment and was reasonably priced.
Cat 1 Frontier plows, middle busters, S tine cultivators, and sub soilers are made by KK. They are identical except for paint colors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts