Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went an got myself a new to me mig welder.

Now, in an effort to keep my wallet moth free it’s time to buy a bottle and get some shielding gas. That’s about the extent of my knowledge. From minimal research I’ve done online a general list of weld quality is below starting at worst getting to best.

Self shielding flux core
Pure CO2
Pure Ar
Ar/CO2. 75%/25%

Tank prices I’ve looked at are $150-200 for either a 80cf gas bottle, or 20lb CO2 bottle.

Without verifying I’ve seen that price goes up along with general quality following the same list above.

Pure CO2, is cheapest and lasts much longer then the others.

I’m leaning towards pure CO2, as I’m a hobbiest only. Is that a reasonable choice or would I be just as well off with self shielding flux core? If that’s the case I’d probably rather go Ar.

How long will 80cf last? Some estimates were only 4-5 hours. I’d probably end up with 2 tanks if that’s the case as I hate pausing a project because I ran out of supplies, and the shop is closed for the weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Very Nice I am blue with envy...

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very Nice I am blue with envy...
Thanks. I’m not sure how I fell into it really, but I traded my drone for it. They were similar cost initially. Someone stopped by for an engine last night and saw it. They were impressed, the line I remember clearest was, I’ve only got to try one once, and it was the nicest welder I’ve ever used.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts

Now, in an effort to keep my wallet moth free it’s time to buy a bottle and get some shielding gas. That’s about the extent of my knowledge. From minimal research I’ve done online a general list of weld quality is below starting at worst getting to best.

Self shielding flux core
Pure CO2
Pure Ar
Ar/CO2. 75%/25%

Tank prices I’ve looked at are $150-200 for either a 80cf gas bottle, or 20lb CO2 bottle.

Without verifying I’ve seen that price goes up along with general quality following the same list above.

I’m leaning towards pure CO2, as I’m a hobbiest only. Is that a reasonable choice or would I be just as well off with self shielding flux core? If that’s the case I’d probably rather go Ar.

How long will 80cf last? Some estimates were only 4-5 hours. I’d probably end up with 2 tanks if that’s the case as I hate pausing a project because I ran out of supplies, and the shop is closed for the weekend.
Self shielding flux core
Pure CO2 - Can be used 100% on mild steel but it doesn't do a great job of controlling splatter. As a hobbyest "your words", there is nothing wrong with pure CO2.
Pure argon - Used at 100% to weld non-ferrous metals like aluminum
Ar/CO2. 75%/25% - is usually called "steel mix". This is the best mix for welding steel. Allows for good penetration, flat welds and controls splatter. This mix will create the best looking and highest quality welds on steel. This is what I used on my mig.

If you are welding at a regulator setting of 15 - 20 cu/ft/hr., you will get 4 - 5 hours of steady welding on an 80 cu./ft. bottle. Now, 4 - 5 hours of continual welding is allot of welding.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I ask what mix gas actually costs?

I’m guessing the gas only flows when the trigger is pulled? I saw comments about the use during breaks but got the feeling those were tig users.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Can I ask what mix gas actually costs?

I’m guessing the gas only flows when the trigger is pulled? I saw comments about the use during breaks but got the feeling those were tig users.

Go with 75/25. Gas is only released when you pull the trigger. Gas is the cheap part, it's the bottle that costs up front. 80cf bottle is more than enough for the occasion welder. Plus with a smaller bottle it's easier for one person to move around or transport to get filled.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
80 cf is the largest I see online at Matheson as purchasable. I’m definitely not interested in renting. The 80cf lists at 37” tall with the cap installed. That’s $170. It’s definitely not too tall or big to manage. Matheson is 2 miles away, and I’m not aware of any other options remotely local.

$25 in a long day of welding won’t be too bad, I won’t have long days of it.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
75/25 is the way to go for MIG welding. The gas only comes out when you pull the trigger. See if your welder has pre and post flow settings, that will delay/extend the gas purge. You want your puddle shielded when it is still molten liquid to prevent impurities. You don't really need preflow but a few seconds of post flow is a good practice.

100% argon is for TIG welding. Argon is good for mild steel, aluminum, stainless most common metals people will encounter. You CAN use 75/25 for TIG welding steels but you will have more impurities in your weld.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
C25 is what you want. It’s the best all around mix for the welding you’ll be doing. :good2:

Make sure to either buy a “naked” bottle, as in no neck ring stamp, or be super friendly with your local welding supply shop. Bottles can end up being the most time consuming ridiculous thing to deal with when they say “nope, we can’t fill those here or trade them in.” It’s all a rouse to get you to rent. They’ll claim liability and all, but whatever. Fill my bottle dammit. :lol:

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
C25 is what you want. It’s the best all around mix for the welding you’ll be doing. :good2:

Make sure to either buy a “naked” bottle, as in no neck ring stamp, or be super friendly with your local welding supply shop. Bottles can end up being the most time consuming ridiculous thing to deal with when they say “nope, we can’t fill those here or trade them in.” It’s all a rouse to get you to rent. They’ll claim liability and all, but whatever. Fill my bottle dammit. :lol:
Ive seen that, that’s why I’m shopping the supplier. I was super excited when they exchanged my torch bottles I got new. Now they can’t reasonably complain as they gave them to me.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
You might look around for a farming place that sells gas. I get mine from the guy with the attack thistles. He runs a farm shop and is always open. If for some reason he's not open his bottles are outside and I can exchange and pay the next day. Maybe I've just got it too good?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts

Self shielding flux core
Pure CO2
Pure Ar
Ar/CO2. 75%/25%

I want one!!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
589 Posts
Very nice! I've had my 211 for almost a year now, and absolutely love it. I use c25, 80cf bottles from Maine Oxy. I bought a small bottle too in case I run out in the middle of something. But honestly, it will last a long time. I've used one 80cf and a small one in a year and I've done quite a bit of welding. They don't fill them they just swap bottles, which makes it convenient. How far away are you from their South Portland location?

I have used the flux core, but there is a huge difference using the c25. I'd also get a good auto darkening helmet if you don't have one. That makes a lot of difference too.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I am a hobby welder as well. I have a Hobart 190 and weld with 100% CO2. For me the decision was a little different than for you. I homebrew and have a couple keggerators so I own several CO2 tanks already for beer. So it made sense to look into CO2 for shielding. Sure there is more spatter so more cleanup but not a big deal for me. I will say that from what I have read, it runs hotter so you get better penetration which is better for heavier duty welding. It might be an issue if you do thin sheet metal which I have never done. Also the regulator that probably came with that welder won't work for 100% CO2. I went with a flow meter which I was told is better than a regulator. I probably don't know the difference but since I had to buy something anyhow I went with what was recommended.

There are different gasses for different materials but I have been happy with what I have been using.

Here is a post from when I was working out my gas stuff.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/metalworking-fabrication/42209-new-welder.html

And a post on another forum where I was talking about this.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?672371-Hobart-Handler-190-on-100-CO2&p=8344621#post8344621

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
You might look around for a farming place that sells gas. I get mine from the guy with the attack thistles. He runs a farm shop and is always open. If for some reason he's not open his bottles are outside and I can exchange and pay the next day. Maybe I've just got it too good?
Farm stores and other retail gas suppliers are usually just retailers for a major gas supplier. These types of places normally do not do the bottle testing or filling, they just swap empties for full.

Not that that is a bad deal but they have to follow the rules that their supplier lays out.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have that same welder and love it. I use 25/75 gas. I did find the regulator that came with the unit leaked a little and also "spikes" then settles down to a lower level than you think you set it at. This didn't bother me much on steel, but when I got the aluminum spool gun it was a huge headache. I couldn't figure it out, it was welding terrible. It wasn't until I had another friend over to try to help me trouble shoot that I noticed about 5 seconds after he pulled the trigger on the spool gun, the gas flow went way down. I replaced that regulator, and everything has been good since.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very nice! I've had my 211 for almost a year now, and absolutely love it. I use c25, 80cf bottles from Maine Oxy. I bought a small bottle too in case I run out in the middle of something. But honestly, it will last a long time. I've used one 80cf and a small one in a year and I've done quite a bit of welding. They don't fill them they just swap bottles, which makes it convenient. How far away are you from their South Portland location?

I have used the flux core, but there is a huge difference using the c25. I'd also get a good auto darkening helmet if you don't have one. That makes a lot of difference too.
Maine Oxy is about a mile from where I’m sitting. I’ll swing by at lunch, but their website only showed high end cylinders available for purchase.

I do have an auto darkening helmet, and it was a huge improvement over flip downs.

·
Registered
201 Posts
First off nice looking welder.

When you say hobbiest what kind of welding are you going to do? My limited experience has shown me that 100% co2 is the best bang for the buck when fabricating using thicker steel.

Good flux core wire costs over 50 bucks per 10lb wheel. I buy HTP mig wire from usawelds for around 20 bucks and the 20lb refill for my co2 tank costs me 35 bucks. Still going strong after 15lbs of wire.

Co2 is almost as penetrating as FCAW and I have been able to dial my rig in so it has minimal spatter.

If you are looking to do a lot of sheet metal and yard art you will have better luck with C25. I have 2 welders and a bottle of each. My 100 amp lincoln is dedicated to 24G wire and C25 while my Hobart 210 is dedicated to 35G wire and co2.

·
Premium Member
11,026 Posts
Good flux core wire costs over 50 bucks per 10lb wheel. I buy HTP mig wire from usawelds for around 20 bucks and the 20lb refill for my co2 tank costs me 35 bucks. Still going strong after 15lbs of wire.
$50 for a 10 lb spool is not a bad price. I got my last 2lb. roll of Hobart 0.035 flux core for $17 at TSC. My wire welder is mainly used for home DIY repair work and the occasional small fab project and 2 lbs of wire last me a couple of years. :) I tend grab the stick welder more often for small repairs.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts