Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally want to get a 1/2” impact.

I’ve driven myself around in circles reading specs and reviews.

I just don’t think I need the big boy high torque model

Milwaukee 2766-20 M18 FUEL High Torque 1-2 in. Impact Wrench with Pin Detent (Bare Tool)

I feel the mid torque model will be just about right for me

Milwaukee 2860-20 M18 FUEL 1-2 in. Mid-Torque Impact Wrench with Pin Detent (Bare Tool)

I’m trying to narrow this down. There are so many 1/2” impacts that have different torque power.

I looked at some videos of the difference between pin decent and friction ring. It looks like I want a pin decent so I don’t have a hard time removing the sockets.

Need some help here. The main thing I want it for is changing out the wheels/tires on my F150 which are torqued to 150 ft lbs. I’ve had issues in the past with my lug nuts being over torqued by the Ford shop. I now don’t let them touch them and do it myself with the proper torque.

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Stan,
This may not be right for you, but this a great deal.
Stan, you really need to try the latest 1/4" hex driver from Milwaukee,,
I got a new one just before Christmas,, and it has CRAZY high torque,,

I was using it with a 9/16" socket to change the tines on my tiller last week,,
the TroyBilt tines came with NEW stainless steel bolts,,

That impact driver had no problem shearing the 3/8" bolts using a regular 9/16" socket.
Luckily, the driver has 4 torque settings,, I set it for a lower setting when I installed the rest of the new bolts,, all went well,,, then,

The one below full torque setting tightened the bolts tighter than I could with a regular 3/8" ratchet,,
I have no idea how much full torque is,,, :dunno:

The reason I recommend the 1/4" hex impact driver is because,, I also have the 1/2" tool..
that 1/2" thing is a monster,, heavy,, and so big, there are many places it just will not fit,,,:flag_of_truce:

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
Besides the hackzall I listed above, I finally want to get a 1/2” impact.

If you only plan to buy one, get the big boy. It will loosen anything you have along with things that aren’t so tight. If you plan to buy two wrenches then get the big boy and a mid torque.

Most guys also use a 1/4 impact driver as a low power impact wrench via a.

I looked at some videos of the difference between pin decent and friction ring. It looks like I want a pin decent so I don’t have a hard time removing the sockets.
You want the friction ring!!! Those are the ones which are easy to remove. The pin requires a punch to release a pin to remove the socket. They are designed for working overhead where a dropped socket could injure someone.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
Darn iPad chopped off my sentence.

I was saying that you can also use a 1/4-inch impact/driver as an impact wrench using 1/4 to 3/8 or 1/2 adapters. It’s real handy for small fasteners.

My first impact was the Milwaukee big boy and if it can’t remove the fastener then the next step is a torch. I also have a mid torque and it was all it could do to removed the corroded mower blade bolts on my brothers neglected tractor. The big boy would have spun the tractor around in circles.

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stan, you really need to try the latest 1/4" hex driver from Milwaukee,,
I got a new one just before Christmas,, and it has CRAZY high torque,,

I was using it with a 9/16" socket to change the tines on my tiller last week,,
the TroyBilt tines came with NEW stainless steel bolts,,

That impact driver had no problem shearing the 3/8" bolts using a regular 9/16" socket.
Luckily, the driver has 4 torque settings,, I set it for a lower setting when I installed the rest of the new bolts,, all went well,,, then,

The one below full torque setting tightened the bolts tighter than I could with a regular 3/8" ratchet,,

The reason I recommend the 1/4" hex impact driver is because,, I also have the 1/2" tool..
that 1/2" thing is a monster,, heavy,, and so big, there are many places it just will not fit,,,:flag_of_truce:
I have an old Nextel (Craftsman) 1/4 impact and 3/8 drill driver that I use all the time. I realize the Milwaukee will have more torque but trying to not buy what I already have.

With that said I am now thinking of the 3/8 impact. It says it has 1200# of torque force. I just don’t see myself getting into anything where I need more. The smaller form factor would be a huge plus with my arthritic hands.

I figure that I’ve been using a breaker bar / cheater pipe all my life. If there are a couple bolts here and there that the 3/8 won’t budge I will just crack them with the breaker bar and go back to the impact.

Milwaukee M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless 3/8 in. Impact Wrench with 4.0 Ah M12 Battery-2463-20-48-11-2440 - The Home Depot

I realize this isn’t the stubby version - just looking at what is in the deal of the day at Home Depot.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
I have an old Nextel (Craftsman) 1/4 impact and 3/8 drill driver that I use all the time. I realize the Milwaukee will have more torque but trying to not buy what I already have.
It sounds like your existing tools would compliment a big nut buster very well.

With that said I am now thinking of the 3/8 impact. It says it has 1200# of torque force. I just don’t see myself getting into anything where I need more. The smaller form factor would be a huge plus with my arthritic hands.
Check the specs. My 3/8 mid-torque is the exact same size as the 1/2 inch version. I never know which will be the next fastener that gives me trouble. I know the big boy has removed bolts that caused my 1/2 pneumatic to run home to momma.

I’ve never had any of the M12 tools, only the M18.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts
Besides the hackzall I listed above, I finally want to get a 1/2” impact.

Milwaukee 2766-20 M18 FUEL High Torque 1-2 in. Impact Wrench with Pin Detent (Bare Tool)

I feel the mid torque model will be just about right for me

Milwaukee 2860-20 M18 FUEL 1-2 in. Mid-Torque Impact Wrench with Pin Detent (Bare Tool)

I’m trying to narrow this down. There are so many 1/2” impacts that have different torque power

Need some help here. The main thing I want it for is changing out the wheels/tires on my F150 which are torqued to 150 ft lbs. I’ve had issues in the past with my lug nuts being over torqued by the Ford shop. I now don’t let them touch them and do it myself with the proper torque.
Stan,
The high torque model you listed here is not the one you want (if you want it). You want # 2767. It's more torque.
That being said, if you're already set up with 12V stuff, the 12V model with 1,100 pds that you talked about looks pretty good too.
That's a whole lot of torque for 12V.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
Stan,
The high torque model you listed here is not the one you want (if you want it). You want # 2767. It's more torque.
That being said, if you're already set up with 12V stuff, the 12V model with 1,100 pds that you talked about looks pretty good too.
That's a whole lot of torque for 12V
Be careful, the 1200 lbs. spec on the 2463-20 is INCH-POUNDS. That is only 100 FOOT-POUNDS. The Home Depot website is a little misleading as they only say 1200 lbs. :)

I had to do a double-take as my big Milwaukee M18 bolt buster is only 1100 ft-lb. :)

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts

That's why they don't recommend tightening bolts with an impact. Granted, it can be done but as you discovered you have to be careful.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Good catch J.

:good2:

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stan,
That's a whole lot of torque for 12V.
I was actually looking to buy into the 12v platform. I don’t need the biggest and best 18v tools like used in commercial job sites.

I need smaller lightweight tools.

·
Administrator
20,144 Posts
The newer M18 is 1400’lbs!!!! It’s crazy. :drinks:

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
I was actually looking to buy into the 12v platform. I don’t need the biggest and best 18v tools like used in commercial job sites.

I need smaller lightweight tools.
It's not necessarily about the biggest or best. I guess it depends on what battery platform you already have. I have M18 batteries already so I've stuck with that and resisted adding a M12 battery platform even though some of the tools do look nice. I also absolutely dislike the way the M12 batteries latch onto the tool. Instead of the nice release buttons of the M18 batteries the M12 batteries just have two stiff plastic tabs that you have to squeeze and I always seem to pinch my hand (I know... personal issues). :)

Even the M18 tools are getting small and powerful. The 3/8" M18 compact mid torque wrench has 210 ft-lb and is virtually the same size as my 1/4" impact/driver.

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's not necessarily about the biggest or best. I guess it depends on what battery platform you already have. I have M18 batteries already so I've stuck with that and resisted adding a M12 battery platform even though some of the tools do look nice. I also absolutely dislike the way the M12 batteries latch onto the tool. Instead of the nice release buttons of the M18 batteries the M12 batteries just have two stiff plastic tabs that you have to squeeze and I always seem to pinch my hand (I know... personal issues). :)

Even the M18 tools are getting small and powerful. The 3/8" M18 compact mid torque wrench has 210 ft-lb and is virtually the same size as my 1/4" impact/driver.
When I started looking at this I was looking at the Hackzall. Just an example -

M18 - 4.07# - 14” long
M12 - 2.2# - 11” long

I can’t stress enough that I need light easy to handle tools. I will never use them a second time if they make my hands hurt. This is why I am interested in the M12 platform.

I understand about the battery - my Nextel is the same way. However, being the battery is actually up in the handle makes it balance much better for me. I can overlook the squeezing once in a while.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I can’t stress enough that I need light easy to handle tools. I will never use them a second time if they make my hands hurt. This is why I am interested in the M12 platform.
Yea,, that is why I mentioned the 18 Volt hex driver instead of a 1/2" impact,,

I would bet the new 18 volt impact driver or drill is WAY lighter than your old 18 volt tools,,
as long as you do not use the 5AH battery,,,

The newest generation is amazingly light,,,

My newest impact - driver - drill (1/2) weighs less than the 1/2" drill (18 volt Milwaukee) I gave my SIL a couple years ago,,,

Time to visit Home Depot and "pick them up",, the 12 volt is not that much lighter,,, to me,,,

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea,, that is why I mentioned the 18 Volt hex driver instead of a 1/2" impact,,

I would bet the new 18 volt impact driver or drill is WAY lighter than your old 18 volt tools,,
as long as you do not use the 5AH battery,,,

The newest generation is amazingly light,,,

My newest impact - driver - drill (1/2) weighs less than the 1/2" drill (18 volt Milwaukee) I gave my SIL a couple years ago,,,

Time to visit Home Depot and "pick them up",, the 12 volt is not that much lighter,,, to me,,,
Exactly what I need to do. I need to see and hold these things in person. Just not up to a 4 hour round trip right now and doesn't look like I will be able to for the next couple months.

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
I am not a big fan of the detent pin verses friction/hog ring, but that's what I ended up with (they were either in the kit or on sale).

I usually try and put the impact socket on so the pin is not lined up with the hole in the socket. I have to depress the pin to get the socket on, but I can pull the socket off easy when I am done.

If I were using it where having the socket come off during use would be a problem, I use the pin in the socket's hole.

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I’m just getting started. I don’t have any 12v tools or batteries - just the weed trimmer and blower from the special which has 1 18v 9 amp battery.

I was looking at an excuse to get started with the 12v platform as the smaller lighter tools appeal to me. But as CADplans suggested above, I really need to see/feel these in person before I do anything.

I just got so confused - there are multiple 1/2 18v impacts all with different torque power.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts