Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've got a Milwaukee grease gun do a little homework before you order a LockNLube. I just tried to swap mine from my old gun the the Milwaukee, so I still have options, sort of.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1853/1277/files/Milwaukee_Grease_Gun_Wholesale_Warning.pdf?10860205505022485324

****ATTENTION MILWAUKEE GREASE GUN USERS****
The standard LockNLube® Grease Coupler has a 1/8" NPT hose connection. This will be
compatible with all US grease guns EXCEPT SOME of the 18 volt Milwaukees.
It appears that Milwaukee has imported a batch of 18 volt guns that have 10x1 Metric thread on
the coupler end of the hose. There is no way to tell what the thread is without taking off the
coupler and then test fitting a known 1/8" NPT onto the hose end to see if it works. If the known
1/8" NPT does not thread on, that likely indicates that the thread is the 10x1 Metric.
There are indications that the most recent Milwaukees are now coming through with 1/8" NPT
and not the 10x1 Metric.
If a customer of yours uses a Milwaukee Grease Gun and would like to purchase a LockNLube®
Grease Coupler, please encourage the customer to take the following steps:
1. Determine the thread type on their grease gun - their grease gun may have standard 1/8" NPT,
in which case they can purchase a standard LockNLube® Grease Coupler.
2. If their Milwaukee Grease Gun has metric thread, they have two options:
(a) Replace the original hose with a new Milwaukee hose Part # Milwaukee 49-16-
2647. The new replacement hoses are 1/8"NPT. The thread size is printed right on the front of
the package. A 1/8" NPT hose will work with a standard LockNLube® Grease Coupler.
(b) Contact LockNLube by calling 603-795-2298. We now carry couplers with Metric
thread, and will be more than happy to help work through this problem with you and/or your
customer.
If you would like to purchase some Metric thread LockNLube® Grease Couplers, please call
603-795-2298. These couplers are available at the same cost as a standard LockNLube® Grease
Coupler.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I am one of the lucky ones. Mine screwed right on. :good2:

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
:dunno:I DIDN'T install my lock n lube on my Milwaukee gun as of yet. so i have no idea what thread type it is:dunno: but this is good info for the future test. thanks -Bubber!!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am one of the lucky ones. Mine screwed right on. :good2:
I'm not a lucky one. I'm going to buy their metric threaded version. I'd rather not spend $30 on a coupler and $35 on a hose to put it on.

·
Premium Member
7,027 Posts
I'm not a lucky one. I'm going to buy their metric threaded version. I'd rather not spend $30 on a coupler and $35 on a hose to put it on.
I wonder if the metric thing is the reason for the Rural King sale? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
I wonder if the metric thing is the reason for the Rural King sale? :dunno:
Very unlikely. I mean, the gun comes with a decent quality coupler right from the factory. Even if a retailer was aware of the issue (which I doubt), they would be better off simply including a coupon for the other hose for those that need it.

As someone who has been putting off the M18 gun for years and finally bit on the Rural King sale, I for one will be pretty bummed if I have to negate some of the savings to buy a new Lock 'N lube or hose as I was planning to just swap my LnL from my old gun.

I wonder why Milwaukee isn't offering a free replacement hose since it is their screw up?

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
If my unit has one of these hoses I am going to contact Milwaukee. Here's the deal... According to the parts list Milwaukee only sells one replacement hose style and one 2-pack of replacement couplers. Which means anyone receiving a metric hose can't even buy a replacement for what they have.

Milwaukee has a reputation for excellent product support so I would like to believe they will work with you on this.

Bubber - where did you buy your grease gun?

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got mine NIB off of ebay when they had a 15% off coupon.

Heres' what I think I'm going to do after giving mine a workout today with the stock coupler... Nothing. It works great as is. Not having to squeeze the gun makes the whole process on my weak grip from using the computer too much hands so much easier that I don't have issues with the coupling.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,151 Posts
Thanks for that info Bubber. :good2:

Going to check mine today, good thing to know if I ever have to replace the stock coupler for some reason.

It will pi$$ me off slightly if I have one with *stinking* metric threads, :banghead::banghead:

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
I got mine NIB off of ebay when they had a 15% off coupon.

Heres' what I think I'm going to do after giving mine a workout today with the stock coupler... Nothing. It works great as is. Not having to squeeze the gun makes the whole process on my weak grip from using the computer too much hands so much easier that I don't have issues with the coupling.
Good news. I have read similar reports about the stock coupler. A standard coupler works much better when you have a free hand to hold it in place . Unlike my lever gun which requires two hands, which is where the LnL shines.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
The grease gun arrived yesterday. It was a bit of a rocky new owner experience. The included battery was completely dead so the first thing I did was pop it onto my existing Milwaukee charger. I was immediately treated to a blinking red/green light which indicates a battery failure. I tried it several times with the same result. Meanwhile, the charger works fine with my two existing 5.0AH batteries. So just for giggles and grins I unpacked the new charger and gave it a try. The battery started charging just fine. Is that weird or what? Both chargers are the same model number.

Next step was to remove the grease coupler in preparation for installing my existing Lock 'N Lube. Wow... I chucked the big nut in the vice and attempted to loosen the coupler. That baby was so tight that I honestly thought my wrench was going to snap in two. It finally gave way and I could see it was NPT threads. Milwaukee had it so tight that it actually had some damaged threads towards the end of the coupler. And they expect folks to swap couplers using just hand tools?

Next I figured it would be a good idea to loosen the jaws on the factory grease coupler in case I wanted to use it for anything. I chucked the hex portion in the vise and went to work trying to turn the collar. I tried two different pairs of pliers without success and was thinking this may be one of those non-adjustable couplers. As a last resort I brought out the 20" channel locks, clamped down with all the force I could muster and just before the metal barrel of the coupler tore in two pieces it broke free. Really? I mean really?

The last step was to install my existing Lock 'N Lube. It threaded on just fine and tightened up okay but wouldn't you know... that GIANT hex nut that Milwaukee used on the end of the grease hose interfered with the LnL release lever making it so the tip would not extend far enough to allow it to slip over a grease zerk. About this time I look over at my old lever-style grease gun and it has a big smile on its face. Out come the channel locks again and I was able to "flatten" the LnL release handle enough that it had more clearance over the giant nut. I find the LnL coupler isn't quite as nimble with that big heavy spring that Milwaukee wraps around the end of the grease hose. I'm sure it is not a problem when greasing excavators but it sure makes flexing the hose a bit more difficult.

grease_hose.jpg

I loaded a grease tube, primed the gun and proceeded to give it a try greasing the loader. It is mighty sweet but the LnL still isn't going on/off the grease zerks as easily as it should. I think I need to bend the release lever a bit more.

Otherwise........... everything went smooth as silk. :)

·
Old Pa-pa
11,151 Posts
Damn jgayman, sounds like some heavy handed idiot at the assembly plant needs a good talking to and torque school.
Seeing damaged threads on it would have pi$$ed me off pretty good after dropping serious coins.

Ain't no excuse for you having to fight a coupler like that on a new gun! :banghead:

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
Damn jgayman, sounds like some heavy handed idiot at the assembly plant needs a good talking to and torque school.
Seeing damaged threads on it would have pi$$ed me off pretty good after dropping serious coins.

Ain't no excuse for you having to fight a coupler like that on a new gun! :banghead:
Agree. Fortunately the thread damage was on the coupler that I was removing anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts