Green Tractor Talk banner

261 - 274 of 274 Posts

·
Old Pa-pa
11,151 Posts
So working in a garage where we regularly have access to my fuel sawzall and my buddies hackzall, I will say you will be happy with your purchase beyond belief.
The only time we opt for the sawzall is when we're basically going to burn through blades and 12 amp/hr batteries since you can apply quite a bit more pressure to the sawzall before stalling it out. For any heavy use 5.0 batteries and above recommended. It will over heat a 1.5/2.0 battery pretty well. Have probably gone through roughly 500 ft of 1/4 inch steel at this point with both. For demo style work, plug in a 12.0 battery and you will have everything out of a kitchen in no time flat. The one handed operation of it makes it shine in those instances.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I have the big corded Super Sawzall, that is an animal, but wasn't using it that much for small and quick stuff.

Run the cord out for just one or two cuts on some shaft material or angle iron didn't make sense, usually just grabbed the old manual hack saw.
Plus the sucker is a heavy two hands needed beast.

With the Hackzall, just pop in a battery and go.

Also the sucker is great for trimming small branches rather than get the chainsaws, gas and oil out.
Put on an arborist blade (Diablo and Mil. Elect. blades don't screw around) and get after it.

Been using the heck out of it, surprising myself.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have 3 different Hacksalls ..m12 and 2m18's one is the fuel.

I love this tool and use it or them daily cutting sheet metal Down Spouts.

My shoulder can't deal with the Manual hack saw anymore after 30 years of doing this work.

The bigger one m18..cuts much better ( quicker and don't grab the work) than the smaller one m12.

I didn't think I'd like the weight of the 18 but it actually balances better and is easier on my wrist.

They have a ton of power and battery life is fantastic...weeks on one battery for me.

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
The M12 Hackzall is at the top of my wish list right now. I can see a real benefit of being able to run it with one hand.

I have a cheap Craftsman corded Sawzall which works fine but the object needs to be stationary or in a vise as it takes me two hands to use it. Plus...it's corded.

I've been a hand tool guy all my life and still reach for the hack saw. But that has to be the worst tool ever for my joints - just can run one anymore.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The M12 Hackzall is at the top of my wish list right now. I can see a real benefit of being able to run it with one hand.

I have a cheap Craftsman corded Sawzall which works fine but the object needs to be stationary or in a vise as it takes me two hands to use it. Plus...it's corded.

I've been a hand tool guy all my life and still reach for the hack saw. But that has to be the worst tool ever for my joints - just can run one anymore.
The 12 while handy likes to shake all over.

If your tooled up for the 18 go with the fuel as its a touch smaller.

My 12 shook the wires loose which is a common problem and an easy fix if your handy that way.

12 works much better with a fresh battery or one of the larger 4 or 6 series.

As the battery gets low it shakes and grabs the "work" worse.

,All mine have the Solid "fence" thing....the swiveling one does not work well in my particular aplication.

Like I mentioned ..The 18 is heavier but actually much better balanced and easier on the wrist..Higher blade speed it seems but perhaps its just more ergonomicly better...or however that word goes..

I'll add my primary use is cutting sheet metal pipe or plastic pipe.

the 12 does work much better with wood

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts
I can't get over how good the battery powered tools have gotten. I watch RR Buildings on YouBoob, and that's about all they use any more is battery powered tools from various manufacturers including Milwaukee. I have no idea how many spare battery packs they keep in the trailer; but they use those tools in all seasons. So nice not to have blasted cords and air hoses getting tangled up or tripping over them.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts

I bought the M12 Hackzall last year Stan. Great little tool.
I have an old school corded Sawzall, and a Dewalt 18v cordless sawzall, so i probable won't buy an M18 Hackzall.

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
The 12 while handy likes to shake all over.

If your tooled up for the 18 go with the fuel as its a touch smaller.

My 12 shook the wires loose which is a common problem and an easy fix if your handy that way.

12 works much better with a fresh battery or one of the larger 4 or 6 series.

As the battery gets low it shakes and grabs the "work" worse.

,All mine have the Solid "fence" thing....the swiveling one does not work well in my particular aplication.

Like I mentioned ..The 18 is heavier but actually much better balanced and easier on the wrist..Higher blade speed it seems but perhaps its just more ergonomicly better...or however that word goes..

I'll add my primary use is cutting sheet metal pipe or plastic pipe.

the 12 does work much better with wood
Great info - thanks!

This is what our forums are all about.

Because of my condition I always look for the lightest of tools. But if that means it is harder to hold on to ......

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I was using my Milwaukee M18 Fuel impact wrench today to tighten all the bolts on my old Dearborn tandem disk. Some bolts were rusted too bad, so I replaced them, then tightened them with the impact wrench. Oops, too much torque. Twisted that 3/8 inch bolt right off. I was much more careful after that.

Dave

·
Registered
360 Posts
Got 2 new Milwaukee tools to play with in the shop....
M18 fuel 4 1/2 inch grinder and the Mid torque 1/2 inch 450 ft lbs impact.

They're both FANTASTIC.... I know, shocker. Working on my friends truck the other night, using a cordless grinder was absolutely amazing. No air/electric lines or anything to care about laying on my back cutting out stuff under his truck. The Mid torque impact is astounding, literally half the weight to carry around, and working on gn trailers and pick ups you don't need the grunt of the high torque half inch.

That being said, I think our next Milwaukee shop tool might be the 1 inch nut buster. I'm not sure why yet, but I want it! 🤣

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
M18 fuel 4 1/2 inch grinder and the Mid torque 1/2 inch 450 ft lbs impact.

They're both FANTASTIC.... I know, shocker. Working on my friends truck the other night, using a cordless grinder was absolutely amazing. No air/electric lines or anything to care about laying on my back cutting out stuff under his truck. The Mid torque impact is astounding, literally half the weight to carry around, and working on gn trailers and pick ups you don't need the grunt of the high torque half inch.

That being said, I think our next Milwaukee shop tool might be the 1 inch nut buster. I'm not sure why yet, but I want it! 🤣

I recently got the mid torque impact - my first impact wrench.

My main reason for buying is changing out my wheel/tires on my F150 with the lug nuts torqued to 150 ft lbs. It worked flawlessly!

·
Registered
122 Posts
A few months ago I bought one of the previous generation M12 3/8” ratchets and that has been one of that best tools I’ve bought in a long time. I’ve started adding a few other M12 tools too. Most of my power tools have been 18v Dewalt’s for the last 15 years, but Milwaukee has the market cornered in the 12v range. The M12 stuff is more compact and more powerful than my old 18v stuff.

The most recent M12 I bought is the M12 Surge Hydraulic impact driver. Wow is that thing neat. A good bit quieter than a normal impact and so much smoother. I only bought it for mainly driving deck or drywall screws, even some small lags, due to its small size and light weight. The belt clip on the side is perfect to hang it off your pocket while working. The tool is well balanced and it won’t fall off while walking with it hanging from the clip. I’ve only really used it on speed 3, but I like the fact that it has multiple settings. I’d highly recommend it to anyone for a general screw driving impact.

The next M12 tool I’m looking at is the 1/2 stubby impact. The small should make it great for removing deck blades, and other overall jobs that are a bit too much for the Surge.

Rick

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
M18 fuel 4 1/2 inch grinder
They're both FANTASTIC.... I know, shocker.
I have had that grinder for over a year,,
I am "iffy" on the grinder

It is kinda big ti get in tight spaces,, and the speed is a little slow,,
the trick to the 4 1/2" grinder is high speed,,

If I need to do some serious grinding,, I plug in the corded, 30 year old 4 1/2" Makita grinder,, and do REAL grinding,,

·
Registered
465 Posts
Milwaukee-M18-Impact-Driver-Kit +2 batteries, $299

I just saw this Grizzly deal (through 11/27). It seems like a pretty good price since it includes two batteries.

Shop Tools and Machinery at Grizzly.com

Attachments

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
261 - 274 of 274 Posts