Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the search is on for a Mini-Ex....Debating how big a machine we should get, this machine will be shared in the family (Brother & Father) which would require it to travel up to 400 miles +/- Right now size wise we're looking at a 27D or 35D

27D:
http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/construction/de
ere_const/excavators/27dzts_general.html

35D:
http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/construction/deere
_const/excavators/35dzts_overview.html

We'll be shopping used so I cant promise we'll buy a Deere :empathy3:
but we're just concerned that while the 27D would be easy to tote around, the 35D might be better from a "work" perspective.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
The links didn't work for me... don't have an excavator and don't trailer, but I'm sure others can comment.

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
but we're just concerned that while the 27D would be easy to tote around, the 35D might be better from a "work" perspective.

Any thoughts?
Well, according to the Deere site they both weigh the same, around 6400 lbs. One is only a couple HP more than the other. Don't think it is going to make a whole lot of difference. I think it will be more up to what you find available on the market as to what you will end up with. Happy hunting you lucky dog.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
The links didn't work for me... Pete
Pete,
Have you ever registered on the Deere site? If you haven't, then that may be the reason the links didn't work for you.

·
Administrator
17,135 Posts
I have logged quite a few hours in a 17 ZTS, and while it is very small...it always gets the job done. The 27 or 35 should be sweet.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, according to the Deere site they both weigh the same, around 6400 lbs.
27d is 6393lb, 35d is 7672lb

I agree that they are in the same ballpark for weight but an additional piece of info is right now i have a 7700 lb gross trailer weight (6000 lb load). The 27d would max out my trailer, the 35d would definitely force my hand to upgrade to a 10k trailer. The trailer is not a deal breaker but that's an additional transaction.

Ultimately, I worry about getting the 27D and wishing it had more power/capability.

·
Premium Member
7,227 Posts
I recently rented a CAT 303.5C for an afternoon. It was more machine than I needed; but the price was right, and it was a true pleasure to use. Much nicer than the beat up smaller Bobcat's I've rented before. All the CAT needed to be perfect was A/C. The guy I rented it from got it for $38k as I recall.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,135 Posts
27d is 6393lb, 35d is 7672lb

I agree that they are in the same ballpark for weight but an additional piece of info is right now i have a 7700 lb gross trailer weight (6000 lb load). The 27d would max out my trailer, the 35d would definitely force my hand to upgrade to a 10k trailer. The trailer is not a deal breaker but that's an additional transaction.

Ultimately, I worry about getting the 27D and wishing it had more power/capability.
Either way, you NEED a 10K trailer...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Aaron,
I have spent a great deal of time with both sizes of machines and trailer my equipment similar distances in my work. Right now I am 425 miles from home with my 110tlb which with the cab is about 8000 lbs. to move a piece of equipment this weight I recommend a 12,000 lb. trailer. Best to have a little cushion in size to travel the highway with.

I agonized for two years about which size excavator to buy using the 3 ton and 4 ton models the most. My experience was that the 4 ton was easy to move around and will outwork the 3 ton by a wide margin. I have to say the Cat 303.5 was and still is my favorite model to use.

After all of this I finally bought the 110tlb instead and a new F550 with a 12k BigTex trailer this has worked well for me. I mention the 110 because it has very similar abilities to the typical 4 ton excavator in bucket and crowd forces. After five years of use and ownership the 4 ton size machine has proven to be a good choice for me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everybody for your responses. You have helped me a bunch. Looks like ill need to upgrade trailer before starting to shop.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Aaron,
I have spent a great deal of time with both sizes of machines and trailer my equipment similar distances in my work. Right now I am 425 miles from home with my 110tlb which with the cab is about 8000 lbs. to move a piece of equipment this weight I recommend a 12,000 lb. trailer. Best to have a little cushion in size to travel the highway with.

I agonized for two years about which size excavator to buy using the 3 ton and 4 ton models the most. My experience was that the 4 ton was easy to move around and will outwork the 3 ton by a wide margin. I have to say the Cat 303.5 was and still is my favorite model to use.

After all of this I finally bought the 110tlb instead and a new F550 with a 12k BigTex trailer this has worked well for me. I mention the 110 because it has very similar abilities to the typical 4 ton excavator in bucket and crowd forces. After five years of use and ownership the 4 ton size machine has proven to be a good choice for me.
Both of these units fall into the 3.5 ton class of excavators. I looked at them real close in 08, for the difference in price the 35d was the way to go. I agree with Steve on the 12k trailer as a min. The 50d would be a good choice also but gets heavy fast. These mini's are alot of bang for your buck. And have a real good track record for reliability. I demo'd both extensively against there C series Mini's.

Matt

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've used a number of different excavator's during the past several years. No Cat's but a couple of Bobcats, Deere's and Komatsu's.

The Deere's were the better machines - IMO.

I particularily enjoyed the 50D. It will tow with a 14K trailer and my 3/4 Duramax hauled it easily.

Agree with Steve on the trailer capacity. Get more than you need for the highway.

I've heard good things from several local builder/contractors regarding the Takeuchi's. Next machine I rent will either be a Tak or maybe a bigger Kubota.

AKfish

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've rented a Bobcat 435 a couple of times in the last 2 years. I wanted to compare it to the 50D. At 10.5K both machines were right at the GVWR for my Dmax and trailer - 22K.

The Deere seemed to be better balanced and more capable - IMO.

I'd have to upgrade to a dually and a bigger trailer for the M50 Bobcat.... Or have it delivered! :thumbup1gif:

AKfish

·
Registered
359 Posts
Haha, with the money you've laid out on the new tractor certainly there's a little more for a new 50 right?

Matt
Yeah... with cabs on 'em I could use one as my main residence and the other as a "vacation home"...:beer:

AKfish

·
Registered
28 Posts
Go to a dealer and try them out. I have rented a 35 a couple of times and the only difference I can see between them is the weight and the boom length. Overall, they look similar, just like the 27 would be better for small spaces. Everybody around here gets a 35 size machine. I have a 1026r with backhoe and the 17D is just about as much of a toy as it is! I thought I wanted a 17D until I ran it. You will want the biggest machine you can fit in your work area. Of course, as a 1026r owner, I have little man syndrome!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts