Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a mini hay baler behind a 1025R? Looking at a SPI MRB850 or 855. A lot of hay here in Kentucky. Looking at potential for barley bales for the pond industry.

Don't plan on upsizing my tractor, just looking for a little income and seat time.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sounds like a 1025/1026/1023 would be big enough to run the baler. Problem would be finding the market to sell enough small round bales to pay off the $10,000 or $11,000 for the baler. You need to figure in the cost of baler twine or net wrap, time, fuel, grease, repairs, any additional costs for handling or storage.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Sounds like a 1025/1026/1023 would be big enough to run the baler. Problem would be finding the market to sell enough small round bales to pay off the $10,000 or $11,000 for the baler. You need to figure in the cost of baler twine or net wrap, time, fuel, grease, repairs, any additional costs for handling or storage.
Baler cost - $11K
Seat Time - Priceless!!

:bigthumb:

I am all in for hay seat time,,, I am just not in for the $11K,,,, I can not "sell" mine, but, I get seat time,,,

WAY better than setting on the porch,,,, :laugh:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would have to find one for a lot less than $11K...you are right. The hobby horse farms here is a special market. And have a friend selling barley bales for algae control in ponds, needs more sources. Haven't run any numbers yet, just wanting to see if the equipment would work together.

Thanks for the help. I'll try calling a few of the manufacturers and see what they say. Can't always trust a salesman though.....

·
Premium Member
10,050 Posts
The problem with the little round balers is they're really just a novelty. Small square bales are easier to handle and store, and there's plenty of equipment out there to make them. Some of the folks I'm working with probably do t have $11,000 in the tractor and baler combined. It's older used equipment, but if you want to get into farming you need to be mechanically inclined to some degree to start with.

If you wanted to do small scale hay, you could find an older square baler with it's own engine. All the tractor has to do is pull it; that said, I don't know if a 1 series is heavy enough to safely pull one, and certainly not with a wagon attached. That would mean you'd have to pick up the bales out of the field, which would require a truck, trailer, and a lot of labor. Then like Tonton mentioned, there's the cutting and raking that will require equipment as well. You'd need a sickle mower, don't think anyone makes a disc mower that would work. The common 7'+ sickles are too heavy to be safe, but there's a 5 or 5.5' that's marketed just for SCUTs that may work. That's an awful small swath to be cutting for the amount of time and fuel used.

There may be a market for small amounts of custom hay, but I'm afraid a 1 series is too small to do it efficiently enough to be profitable.

·
Premium Member
13,960 Posts
35-40 yrs ago, my brother bought a MF 4wd compact. Like you he thought he would bale his hay and use his new tractor. His FIL had owned a Ford 8n and his thought was his is 4wd and it will be better on the hill behind his house.
So he bales the hay using the 8n while his wife and young son picked up the hay from the field. Just as he was backing the baler in the shed ,he sees his wife coming off the hill (failed to put in 4wd) . Then he sees the hay wagon pushing his little tractor down the hill and then rolls the tractor with his wife and young son. Thankfully lit jackknifed, and tractor only went on its side. Everyone was OK by the grace of God.
I think it was that weekend he went back to MF dealer , traded in his compact and bought a 50 or 60 hp tractor he still owns today.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The problem with the little round balers is they're really just a novelty. Small square bales are easier to handle and store, and there's plenty of equipment out there to make them. Some of the folks I'm working with probably do t have $11,000 in the tractor and baler combined. It's older used equipment, but if you want to get into farming you need to be mechanically inclined to some degree to start with.

If you wanted to do small scale hay, you could find an older square baler with it's own engine. All the tractor has to do is pull it; that said, I don't know if a 1 series is heavy enough to safely pull one, and certainly not with a wagon attached. That would mean you'd have to pick up the bales out of the field, which would require a truck, trailer, and a lot of labor. Then like Tonton mentioned, there's the cutting and raking that will require equipment as well. You'd need a sickle mower, don't think anyone makes a disc mower that would work. The common 7'+ sickles are too heavy to be safe, but there's a 5 or 5.5' that's marketed just for SCUTs that may work. That's an awful small swath to be cutting for the amount of time and fuel used.

There may be a market for small amounts of custom hay, but I'm afraid a 1 series is too small to do it efficiently enough to be profitable.
I have only seen one person that used a small round baler for making hay. Our neighbor growing up made all his hay for his sheep that way. Still does to this day. I'd help him pick them up from time to time. IT SUCKED!! There was a bale every five feet I swear. Imagine how many bales you'd have on 20 acres?? I got to drive the tractor one time, an 1850 Oliver he had dropped a Detroit diesel into with a straight pipe exhaust. Could hear it coming three miles away. He was always rebuilding the clutch in the tractor on the baler since you have to wait a bit for it to tie the bale.

I'd think youd have better luck finding a used square baler but doubt a 1 series could pull or power it. Tontons idea to upgrade to a 3 or 4 series might be an option depending on what you can find. We powered a New Holland square baler on the farm with a 40hp engine tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
There's always this way: https://youtu.be/XwfLJ6Cbj2c Check the bare feet! I've spent a lot of time in hay fields, but my feet wouldn't handle that!

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
Has anyone used a mini hay baler behind a 1025R? Looking at a SPI MRB850 or 855. A lot of hay here in Kentucky. Looking at potential for barley bales for the pond industry.

Don't plan on upsizing my tractor, just looking for a little income and seat time.
Go to <tractortoolsdirect> and all your questions will be answered. You can get it all there, mowers, tedders, rakes and balers. You can even get a square baler. It's fun to dream. :good2:

·
Registered
740 Posts
New Holland used to make some great little square balers. I ran a Super 68 for several years with my little M (65 years old and only 20hp @ pto) and it did a great job. Actually, I just sold it for about $3k. It wasn't as pleasing to look at as a shiny new round baler, but it worked and it worked well.

For the most part I feel that new equipment is overrated; I don't have to worry about putting a scratch in the paint of my equipment and it was paid off before it went on the trailer. Besides, the key to turning a profit is to minimize your initial investment. You have to bale a lot of hay to pay off a $39k tractor and a $11k baler, plus fuel, grease, twine, etc.

Business lesson 1: keep your costs low and your profits high.

·
Registered
754 Posts
DAD started a custom baling business when he got out of the Army from WW 2. Started with a brand new FARMALL H and a brand new engine driven IH 50-T baler. He built up a pretty good business over a couple years but gave it up when he got a bigger farm rented.

An H is powerful enough and heavy enough to pull & power a baler and rack unless you have really steep hills. A little New Holland baler pulls easy, and cost much much less than $11,000. I would think with careful shopping you could buy a full size tractor, small square baler, sickle mower and hay rake and have change left from your $11,000. Only challenge then would be finding enough ground to make hay off of, and figuring out how busy making hay you want to be.

·
Premium Member
13,960 Posts
She is tough..

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Spent a lot of hours in front of & behind a JD 14T in the 60's & early 70's. Usually pulled it with the 58-720D, sometimes the 53-60, nearly always loaded straight onto the wagons. Don't know much about anything newer! :dunno:

·
Registered
225 Posts
You still have to pay someone to mow, ted, and rake it. You would save practically no money.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Go to <tractortoolsdirect> and all your questions will be answered. You can get it all there, mowers, tedders, rakes and balers. You can even get a square baler. It's fun to dream. :good2:
Thanks for mentioning and suggesting the Tractor Tools Direct- Haymaking and pine straw baling equipment for compact tractors. Drum Mowers - Belt Rakes - Mini Round Balers for implements for the smaller tractors. They have sources for a bunch of really cool "big tractor" stuff and implements for tractors down to 20 h.p. Glad I took the time to look the site up.
Great suggestion, Levi.:bigthumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts