Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have a non-standard use scenario. I have absolutely no use for hay making equipment at tuis time but yet I want a Mini-Round Net Wrapping Baler. I have a lot of neighbors down the street that have oak trees galore and they have a huge issue with leaves piling up. Companies are charging a fortune to pick them up. I mean, like charging several hours of hand raking and then bagging and then hauling away leaves.

I want to offer a better deal. I am not necessarily looking to make money but have fun. Has anyone tried one of these mini-balers on leaves?

I think a net wrap would offer the best retention, plus there may be a market for people that want them for garden paths and mulching if the bale will unroll similar to large round hay bales.

Another question would be a rake side delivery or rotary?

Anyone tried this? I have seen videos of big cities using balers and a few people trying their old old square balers with limited success.

I am interested in your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I'm not going to state it will be impossible to ""rd bale leaves only"" with a rd baler but I have serious doubts that it can be done because of the size of the leaves & forming bale not wanting to hold together. Attempting to bale grass hay that's been excessively rained on & that's layed on the ground for over a week or more can be very challenging to rd bale.BTDT

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
As a bale is formed in the chamber, it is constantly spinning. The longer it spins, the more the crop is destroyed, making dust. If the leaves are dry enough, they will just turn to dust and not even form a bale. Will it work? maybe. Either way, I want pictures:nunu:

·
Premium Member
13,662 Posts
I too would find it hard to believe that leaves could form a bale but I would love to watch it were to work. :good2:

Reactions: Levi and pcabe5

·
Premium Member
14,899 Posts
Have never used a round baler , but like the others not sure if this would work . Guessing it would destroy the leaves before they became a round bale.:dunno::dunno:

:munch:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have one of these mini round balers MRB870 twine wrap and to answer your question. Could it do it. Yes but it would not do it well.

There are several things to consider:

1. These are inline balers so they directly follow the path of the tractor. If you tractor can't clear it than it is going to push the leaves
2. The pickup swath and chamber is very small on these balers. So that would mean you would have to have very narrow and low windrows in order pick up the leaves without clogging the pickup chamber.
3. Would be cost. The cheapest I seen for a twine baler is about 6k and a net wrap about 8k. It would be hard to recoup cost when a guy could come in with a dump trailer and leaf sucker and be out in 1/10 of the time.

They are pretty neat little balers though. One thing about them is that are definitely maneuverable and portable.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Rather than a baler, what about a similar type of machine designed to do the job?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is one baling option done by a municipality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iLjeJ1oG3U

There are others, most have been doing square baling, but most of the bales look pretty loose, plus balers are usually much larger and not conducive for small plots such as 1/2 acre lots.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rather than a baler, what about a similar type of machine designed to do the job?

While this is an interesting option, the issue is what do you do with the leaves once collected? The bales could be stacked and easily transported, loose leaves are no better than just raking them up and putting into piles. I am looking for an option that makes handling of them easy. I've considered the vac idea but, access and dumping is the issue. Bales could potentially be sold to those interested in micro-farming for cover crop and would be easier to handle then loose or bagged leaves.

·
Premium Member
13,662 Posts
Here is one baling option done by a municipality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iLjeJ1oG3U

There are others, most have been doing square baling, but most of the bales look pretty loose, plus balers are usually much larger and not conducive for small plots such as 1/2 acre lots.
Still leaves quite a mess, but I especially like how they drop the bales right at the end of the driveways. :laugh:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I saw a mini-tedder on the Rural King website, but I can't find it now. Maybe just windrow them up and then ?

Or mow them over with the chute constantly to one side?

Even with a vac or blower, you still have to deal with getting them off the property. Then they are YOUR problem. I say mow man, mow!

Reactions: Levi and PJR832

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've seen some of these lots where people have hundred plus trees and dropped all their leaves. Many of them don't have any grass because the leaves have smothered the lawns to death. Mowing over and over is not practical. The only good option is getting them off the property. Baling is really the best way I can see to do it. Even if it were a completely net wrapped bale. The trick will be getting to the leaves quickly while they still retain some moisture. If they get to dry they will disintegrate in a baler, too wet and they could get mushy. I guess what I need is someone that has one of these machines to give it a try.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Okay I have a non-standard use scenario. I have absolutely no use for hay making equipment at tuis time but yet I want a Mini-Round Net Wrapping Baler. I have a lot of neighbors down the street that have oak trees galore and they have a huge issue with leaves piling up. Companies are charging a fortune to pick them up. I mean, like charging several hours of hand raking and then bagging and then hauling away leaves.

I want to offer a better deal. I am not necessarily looking to make money but have fun. Has anyone tried one of these mini-balers on leaves?

I think a net wrap would offer the best retention, plus there may be a market for people that want them for garden paths and mulching if the bale will unroll similar to large round hay bales.

Another question would be a rake side delivery or rotary?

Anyone tried this? I have seen videos of big cities using balers and a few people trying their old old square balers with limited success.

I am interested in your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know if this would work or not but I'd love to have the baler you're talking about. I'll never have one so if you do get one you will have to video it as I'd sure like to see it try what your talking about. I'd want the rake too so the fun factor can go through the roof. :good2:

·
Premium Member
13,662 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
My 5 cents of opinion is to....... GO FOR IT.....

If you Google small tractor hay balers you will find sites that have packages. Drum mower, 3pt rake, tedder combo tool, mini round baler.
Combinations of tools in these packages go for as low as $10,000 US. The mower you may not use often or at all. The powered rake, tedder you will likely find useful in a number of ways. However to upgrade the baler from string to net wrap will be extra money, I suspect.

The video I see in post #7 is little more than a giant sweeper. Useful and efficient enough maybe, but still produces loose material. The regular hay baler from post #14 video seems to produce a quite loose and fragile looking bale. Having the bale go through the thrower doesn't seem to be very good for the integrity of the bale.

I'm plotting on getting a hay tool package like mentioned to put up hay that an old guy can handle for our small livestock from our many small paddocks.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My 5 cents of opinion is to....... GO FOR IT.....

If you Google small tractor hay balers you will find sites that have packages. Drum mower, 3pt rake, tedder combo tool, mini round baler.
Combinations of tools in these packages go for as low as $10,000 US. The mower you may not use often or at all. The powered rake, tedder you will likely find useful in a number of ways. However to upgrade the baler from string to net wrap will be extra money, I suspect.

The video I see in post #7 is little more than a giant sweeper. Useful and efficient enough maybe, but still produces loose material. The regular hay baler from post #14 video seems to produce a quite loose and fragile looking bale. Having the bale go through the thrower doesn't seem to be very good for the integrity of the bale.

I'm plotting on getting a hay tool package like mentioned to put up hay that an old guy can handle for our small livestock from our many small paddocks.
Well the hardest part is trying to fund the package. I don't like to go into something like this blind, want to know if anyone has made it work. A few companies I have talked to are not sure but interested to know as well. It seems the general consensus though is that the pickup tines would be the biggest issue. They are made for interlocking grass not loose leaves. If it could be replaced with a brush of sometime it would most likely work quite well.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
A solution

That's a solution but not necessarily the best solution. It's hard for me to see how that's faster or better than using a mulching blower into something like a chip truck. For me, another factor is I flat don't want to be that tractor driver. Stop, let a clog clear or back up. Move really, really slow and hope the leaves feed and then drop a bale right in someones drive. I don't want to be that guy. . .

Treefarmer

Reactions: Levi and PJR832

·
Registered
5,654 Posts

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Where there's a will. . .

Well the hardest part is trying to fund the package. I don't like to go into something like this blind, want to know if anyone has made it work. A few companies I have talked to are not sure but interested to know as well. It seems the general consensus though is that the pickup tines would be the biggest issue. They are made for interlocking grass not loose leaves. If it could be replaced with a brush of sometime it would most likely work quite well.
If you are determined enough you can make it work and as a long shot make some money.

If you combine the idea of a vac and a square baler it certainly could work. Use the vac instead of fingers for the pickup and have the vacuum drop leaves in front of the feed forks which push stuff into the bale chamber.

Hey, if you build one and patent the idea- I want a cut. . .

Treefarmer

1 - 20 of 20 Posts