Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have mirrors that are magnetic for backing trailers? When I back up enclosed trailers can’t see nothing. Maybe something to stick to loader arms? 1025r is what I have

·
Registered
46 Posts
Perhaps a front hitch receiver solution? I mounted one of Ken's Bolt On Hooks hitch recievers on my bucket (my trailer has 220LB tongue weight) and it works great though I'm having to practice moving my trailer with the front which is a whole new learning curve!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps a front hitch receiver solution? I mounted one of Ken's Bolt On Hooks hitch recievers on my bucket (my trailer has 220LB tongue weight) and it works great though I'm having to practice moving my trailer with the front which is a whole new learning curve!
The trailers are so wide and being so close, I don’t think a hitch on the front will help. I will put one on though, I like having options.

I did make a quick set. They are anything but pretty! Lol. They do help. I was hoping for a mirror surface that is large like on my Ford F-150. I have factory towing mirrors. They are really big. The ones I threw together are maybe 4x6 inches. For me, bigger would be better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take a piece of 1/2 " conduit. Mash both ends flat and drill holes. one for upright on loader frame and the other end for mirror. Make length to your desire. Extend the arm up or down to get it out where you want it.
Trying to find a mirror that would mount is my next Quest! Lol. Your idea is pretty good.

·
Premium Member
15,152 Posts
Trying to find a mirror that would mount is my next Quest! Lol. Your idea is pretty good.
Get yourself a set of 7-inch golf cart mirrors and two sets of magnetic studs. Mount the magnets to the two holes in the mirror and stick them on the loader uprights. Total cost around $35.

Reactions: trav

·
Registered
603 Posts
Camera with a mag base.

Reactions: tbennett017

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Get yourself a set of 7-inch golf cart mirrors and two sets of magnetic studs. Mount the magnets to the two holes in the mirror and stick them on the loader uprights. Total cost around $35.

View attachment 781040
You would still be looking at just the front of the trailer. I've hooked up to my 16' enclosed trailer and you'd need this mirror attached to a 4"-5' pole on each side of the tractor. OP needs a person spotting while backing, the tractor is just too close to see around the front of an enclosed trailer.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Premium Member
16,952 Posts
I don't have a enclose trailer , but for years I've had a front hook with a flat spot for a trailer ball. This hooks over the frame at the front of the tractor. NO need for fel to be on tractor, agree with OLYTDI its a learning curve.
IMO far better than turning around all the time trying to see where or what the trailer may hit.
I admit still wouldn't be able to see the back of the trailer but for me I think I have a better view than turning around all the time. Plus no need for mirrors to back the trailer, even taking the utility trailer from its parking area to the front of the house . IMO I don't think I could get the trailer there backing it in or pulling it from it location.

Oh to keep the hitch over the front of the tractor I have a hole drilled in the front of the tractor and through the hitch I had made, then put a nut and bolt while using the hitch.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Use velcro straps to hold a 10 foot piece of 3/4 inch PVC pipe horizontally across the top of the grille guard. Use pipe fittings on the ends to make up mirror supports. The mirrors need to be that far forward to give a decent view down the sides of the trailer.

I actually use the 10 foot PVC pipe like curb feelers (showing my age with that one) when I am spraying with my 10 foot boom sprayer on the back to minimize looking back to check on the boom ends while going down fence lines and around trees.

If you want to see directly behind the trailer, though, a camera works best. I use an old wireless setup called Swift Hitch with a camera that attaches to the rear of the trailer magnetically. The monitor is small and both the camera and monitor are battery powered. I bought it about 15 years ago before I had a vehicle with a backup camera. I'm sure there are better options today if you consider a camera setup.

·
Registered
582 Posts
When I back up enclosed trailers can’t see nothing. Maybe something to stick to loader arms? 1025r is what I have
I don't understand. Mirrors on the loader masts are pretty close together, only 4 feet or so apart Are you backing up a full size enclosed trailer?

My trailer is 7 feet wide, not including the fenders. I have permanent mirrors installed on my loader masts, similar to the ones in your picture, and there is no way that I can use these mirrors to look down the sides, much less behind the trailer. All I see in the mirrors is the front of my trailer. This is the same trailer I tow and back with my truck, and its mirrors are over 7 feet apart. I can see along the sides of the trailer, but nothing behind it.

How wide are these enclosed trailers that you are moving with your 1025R? If you want to see beind a road sized trailer, you need a camera setup. If you want to see along the sides, you need mirrors farther apart than 4 feet.

·
Premium Member
11,950 Posts
The wireless cameras work very well and all you need is a small 12 volt battery to run the remote camera(s). Plug the monitor into the 12 volt plug on the tractor and you could set the small battery and camera on the trailers fenders so you can see behind it as well as down the side of it.

Plus you can move the camera where ever you need to see what you need to see. You could even set the camera behind where the trailer is going to be parked and back in the trailer watching it on the monitor. My wireless camera works for at least 85 feet from the monitor and as you are backing, you can see where you are going.

If nothing else, mount the cameras on the crushed tubing and stick them out where you need them to be on the side of the tractor loader to see around the trailer. I just measured my 1 series yesterday for a new trailer and the tractor is at best 5 feet wide and many enclosed trailers are 102" at the full legal width limit. The nice part with the wireless cameras is you can move them wherever they need to be to see what you want to see.

Use a magnet to mount the camera or sit them on something where the trailer is going to be parked. Going with a system with more than one camera make sure you can show both cameras on the monitor. Also, many systems "mirror image" what you see in the camera so make sure its set up the way you want to use it..........That's as simple as pushing a button on the monitor to change the system settings.

A simple battery like the ones shown below will power the cameras in remote locations if you want to set the camera wherever makes sense for you to see. Then you can easily remove the entire system when you don't need it so its not in the elements, etc.

I find a 7" monitor for the camera makes seeing behind you very practical. I wouldn't want to go much smaller as they can be harder to see...........The monitor can mount on a suction cup right on the hood in front of you if you want.........

Reactions: Big

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
I would say the easiest way to position the trailer would be to use forks with a ball. You could then go forward position the height of the trailer and you could also see somewhat to the side of the unit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't understand. Mirrors on the loader masts are pretty close together, only 4 feet or so apart Are you backing up a full size enclosed trailer?

My trailer is 7 feet wide, not including the fenders. I have permanent mirrors installed on my loader masts, similar to the ones in your picture, and there is no way that I can use these mirrors to look down the sides, much less behind the trailer. All I see in the mirrors is the front of my trailer. This is the same trailer I tow and back with my truck, and its mirrors are over 7 feet apart. I can see along the sides of the trailer, but nothing behind it.

How wide are these enclosed trailers that you are moving with your 1025R? If you want to see beind a road sized trailer, you need a camera setup. If you want to see along the sides, you need mirrors farther apart than 4 feet.
That’s why I’m asking on here what others have done. Looking for ideas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts