Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 1023E
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to make sure others buying the 1023 or 1026 check this. I wanted to hit my zerk fittings on the drive shafts with some JD multi-purpose grease even though I only have 38 hrs, but I can’t quite get it done since the CV joint closest to the engine (the hard to get at one) is missing it’s zerk fitting. It looks like it just backed off and is clean inside, so hopefully I can figure out the size and get it up in there to screw it on without cross threading it or contaminating the bearings. I am debating waiting until winter and sending the whole tractor to the dealer for this, the intermittent warning light on the dash relating to the reverse pedal wiring code 523591 code 14, and broken weld on the air filter support bracket, and the MMM level (if I cannot get it right). No JD Power Initial Quality Award for JD so far.

Eye Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Bumper

·
Registered
2,293 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,055 Posts
You can order a miscellaneous grease nipple kit on amazon for cheap!
Something in the box is bound to fit and you have spares.
Im not sure if its gonna be metric or SAE threads but you can get a mixed box.
The problems with those kits (I have some myself) is the zerks are questionable quality and half the box will be sizes you will never use. Most zerks on the tractor are one or two sizes. Once you know the sizes you need you are probably better off buying a couple packs of those sizes from someplace like Alemite. You can get assortments from them as well but avoid the packs with 1/8-inch zerks (the large ones) as you'll probably never use them.

·
Registered
587 Posts
That zerk is broken. The ball end of that angled zerk has snapped off of its body. Note the hex at the intersection of the zerk and the u-joint, that is where it unscrews from it.

·
Registered
2020 1023E
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KTManiac is probably right. I may have the dealer fix it as getting a socket up in there is going to extensively exercise my long retired colorful Sailor vocabulary. They will either replace the whole shaft or use a replacement zerk as they likely have a box of them like Jimmy said.

·
Registered
587 Posts
...well, you might could get the missing part of it.. But, if the threaded part of it is broken off in there, you would need to use an ez-out to remove it before putting in the new check-ball piece.

·
Premium Member
16,055 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Remember that you can also access this joint from above by removing the cover beneath the steering wheel. It's still not great access, but it's better than the access from below.

Keane

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Remember that you can also access this joint from above by removing the cover beneath the steering wheel. It's still not great access, but it's better than the access from below.

Keane
That went away too in 2017???

john Deere 1025R
loader
backhoe
47 in tiller
47 blower
5ft landscape rake
10 KW pto generator
Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts