Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this in another thread and got me thinking how things snowball and sometimes avalanche into much bigger projects and $ than originally intended...... :banghead:

Glad I read this thread. When I built my house back in 1973/4 they were not code or even thought of. Just a couple years ago I was putting "another" shelf up for the wife and hit a wire in the middle of the wall at eye level. :banghead: Why it was there I don't know :dunno: but it went to the receptacle the drill was plugged into. Thank god :pray: or I would not have known. I had to open the wall to make the repair.

After I was done with the repair and putting the wall back together and then repainting the room cause we didn't have matching paint to cover the repaired section of the wall and me using a few choice words whilst doing it "which cannot be repeated here" the wife said no more shelves. :thumbup1gif:
I thought this is a classic example of "Mission Creep" on a project which leads to the phrase 'No project is done until at least three trips to the hardware supply store are complete' !!

My example this week was self inflicted for the most part - Renter calls to say there is a leak in the basement from one of the sewer pipes! Headed right over and found I had to replace the last section of copper sewer pipe coming down from the toilet to the new PVC due to a leak in a split in the pipe.....No big deal, I have the 3" PVC and elbow & wax seal in the shop, I just need the PVC closet flange.... first trip was to get the new flange.

Project wasn't far along when my hand slipped after lifting off the toilet and dropped it breaking the base ....second trip buying the new toilet $$.

While I'm gone the spot on the wall behind the tank that never gets re-painted because the roller doesn't fit in there gets noticed by the 'supervisor' who stopped by for some yet unknown reason. Extra time (minor mission creep), but no extra trip since I have the left over paint stored in the basement and an old brush in the truck box. I paint first so it has time to dry while doing the pipe replacement so I can slap on a second coat before re-setting the toilet.

Cut to length and glued up the replacement PVC. New flange screwed in place, ready to connect the drop to the existing PVC and realize I forgot to get the new fernco coupling since the existing fernco was sized for the smaller diameter 3" copper on one side.....third trip.....paint has lots o' time to dry now.

While there I thought I should pick up a new supply line to go from the angle valve because I noticed it was sorta stiff & seemed brittle and didn't want a slow drip when I reconnected it. Couldn't remember exact measurement so I got the 20". Good planning because the new toilet is an ADA height which means the bottom of the tank is higher which means the existing supply line was too short to reach it. So I saved myself a 4th trip without realizing it! And it is a good thing the new toilet comes with a seat because the old one would not have fit on the new oval shape!

My initial 1 hour and $10 estimate is a little short by 4 hours longer and $200 more but the project is done!

Any Mission Creep experience out there?

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
I would have never got that project done in one day. Each trip to get supplies like that is 3 hours (round trip) so I would have had 9 hours just in driving time. So I don't get too much "mission creep" here - I have to plan each project then get at least twice the materials I think I might need ahead of time. Plus keeping an inventory of a lot of stuff in the barn helps.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I would have never got that project done in one day. Each trip to get supplies like that is 3 hours (round trip) so I would have had 9 hours just in driving time. So I don't get too much "mission creep" here - I have to plan each project then get at least twice the materials I think I might need ahead of time. Plus keeping an inventory of a lot of stuff in the barn helps.
:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

Every time you post, the more we are the same. I don't have the travel times you do, but I plan the heck out of my projects. I also keep plenty of supplies on hand.

·
Registered
567 Posts
By this time of the year (most years), project timeline slippage has progressed to the point that most non-essential projects are deferred until next year. We're nearing this point already this year as the Midwest is gripped in heat. The cooler weather to follow in a couple of months will provide more opportunity for improvement...

Brian

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
My experience has always been.... "there's no project so simple and small that I can't make into a complex and large project." :banghead: :banghead:

:flag_of_truce:

Oh, well. It sometimes seems like all of my projects end up being bigger than I first expect. I think that part of the problem is that they always seem to build some big, impressive deck or do a complete yard makeover in 30 minutes on TV and I can't understand why it takes me longer. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I like your term 'mission creep'...think I'll steal it. I have always just called them 'snowball projects'. But - yes plenty of them around here. Plumbing ones are the ones most likely to creep on me for a couple of reasons.

1. This old house is old. Constructed around 1955. Direct replacement of nearly everything doesn't work with today's Home Depot offerings.
2. I'm not very good at plumbing stuff. Don't have a good grasp of applications, i.e. Kitchen vs toilet vs sink vs copper vs pvc, and so on.

Thanks for the new thread. Look forward to seeing others input.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mission creep is pervasive in all that I do. However, plumbing project don't have mission creep. They have mission surges. Something that starts as a small replacing a shutoff valve turns into replacing the valve, demo-ing a wall, replacing 20 feet of pipe, sheetrocking the demo-ed wall, and painting (which probably means a new color for the whole room. That's not creep.

We should come up with a word for the opposite of "mission creep." If there is a word for it, it might happen. I think the French existentialist philosophers said something about that.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Being 10 min from the hardware store is definitely convenient and allows for a little lack of planning. If it had been a Sunday night with nothing open I would have left a good section of the copper and replaced the bad with PVC I had in my inventory to get it flushing again. And if my inventory let me down I would have made it last a night with a piece of extra pond liner and a couple 3" hose clamps to seal the leak. :hide: But since the store was open I decided to replace it all so I wouldn't need to revisit it. I did restock my stash of plumbing parts and made sure to add a 3" fernco for future emergencies.

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
My experience has always been.... "there's no project so simple and small that I can't make into a complex and large project." :banghead: :banghead:

:flag_of_truce:

Oh, well. It sometimes seems like all of my projects end up being bigger than I first expect. I think that part of the problem is that they always seem to build some big, impressive deck or do a complete yard makeover in 30 minutes on TV and I can't understand why it takes me longer. :lol:
My wife sees those shows and thinks a deck should take a weekend tops :nunu: It took me that long to dig the post holes.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Who hasn't run a roller short of completing a paint job, a few shingles short of completing the roof or a fitting short of completing a water line?:dunno: Guilty as charged:laugh:I live 10 miles from the local hardware store but sometimes need to travel 50 to get the necessary stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Who hasn't run a roller short of completing a paint job, a few shingles short of completing the roof or a fitting short of completing a water line?:dunno: Guilty as charged:laugh:I live 10 miles from the local hardware store but sometimes need to travel 50 to get the necessary stuff.

Another reason I plan and online shop. Half the time the store doesn't have what I want. I figure with the money and time I spend running around for things I am more than willing to pay for those shipping charges.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My wife sees those shows and thinks a deck should take a weekend tops :nunu: It took me that long to dig the post holes.
Amen....she wants to replace the deck boards this fall......one section is 25 years old, the other section is 20 years old, i agree it needs updating. both sections screwed down. I know the heads will snap off when i try to unscrew them and I am going to be sawzall'ing & grinding for a day. Then the framing will probably need some attention after all these years. And she is looking at composite decking with hidden fasteners.....probably take me 5 times as long to install as pt with screws. Imagine the anxiety of triple measuring every cut because of how pricey that composite stuff is. She asked if it would take longer than a weekend.....i said not if i just flip these boards over and screw them down. :good2: I once took a day and a half to cut a resized opening in a full height cherry kitchen cabinet (ka-ching) for her double oven. Measured that sucker about 10 times from different angles over the course of 8 hours and then slept on it before getting the nerve to clamp a jig on it and take the saw to it. And yes the double oven fit exactly - whew!!!

Talk about mission creep.....that double oven adventure crept into what was the couple hour kitchen project which was me wanting to fix some drywall seam cracks from that room settling and repainting. 2-1/2 months later it ended up with new appliances, reconfigured the cabinet layout & some new ones for a peninsula, rewiring, new lp line, new countertop, tile backsplash, new receptacles, undercabinet lighting and me losing more hair. It started the day after Thanksgiving and I was putting the last coat of paint on with the Superbowl on the TV mid Feb. :creep:

I have been told I am a few shingles short of a full bundle but it had nothing to do with roofing and given experiences like the kitchen remodel I am not taking responsibility. :flag_of_truce: :crazy:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Personally, I don't see this as "Mission Creep". To me "Mission Creep" is changing your plans mid-project. Poor planning or miss-calculation of materials of the original task is just adding to the under-estimated time of the project. "Mission Creep" is re-engineering the design half way through or altering it because of not foreseeing the problems or constraints of the project. But hey, I am funny that way. :hi:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Mission creep is pervasive in all that I do. However, plumbing project don't have mission creep. They have mission surges. Something that starts as a small replacing a shutoff valve turns into replacing the valve, demo-ing a wall, replacing 20 feet of pipe, sheetrocking the demo-ed wall, and painting (which probably means a new color for the whole room. That's not creep.

We should come up with a word for the opposite of "mission creep." If there is a word for it, it might happen. I think the French existentialist philosophers said something about that.

bsims-

The stories on this thread make me smile and they remind me of the last time that my late father physically disciplined me. Flash back to the early 1970s; I was a newly minted teenager and my slightly older and equally grabastic brother and I were tasked with greasing the boat trailer wheel bearings (this trailer did not have the bearing buddies that the next boat's trailer did ). As usual, we were compressing a one hour job into three or four hours. After much mirth and far too little progress; Dad had had enough. He was late in his Air Force career then and was about a two to three pack a day smoker. He started chasing me- I knew within the first furlong that I could run much longer and considerably faster than he. A wise voice (not present enough then) in my head told me that I'd be a lot better off by stopping and taking my whooping than continuing to run and make it much worse. I slowed and let Dad catch me; he grabbed me by the shoulder and kicked my butt a couple of times before wheezing up half a lung with laughter. I forgot what sort of punishment he inflicted upon my brother, but we have laughed a lot in the last four plus decades about this episode, so I empathize with those who get slow getting projects completed.

Here's to you, Pop. You are sorely missed:bigbeer::

Brian

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Personally, I don't see this as "Mission Creep". To me "Mission Creep" is changing your plans mid-project. Poor planning or miss-calculation of materials of the original task is just adding to the under-estimated time of the project. "Mission Creep" is re-engineering the design half way through or altering it because of not foreseeing the problems or constraints of the project. But hey, I am funny that way. :hi:
When I grow up I want to be as together as you are. It is guys like me that make you look good! Just sayin. :dunno::laugh:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
When I grow up I want to be as together as you are. It is guys like me that make you look good! Just sayin. :dunno::laugh:
:lolol:

You're making it difficult for me to live up to your imagination. :mocking: I am the last one you want to emulate. :mocking:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RandyM....your next morning greeting could be Good Morning GTT Emulators!! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
around here when we don't get something done or even started in time we just put it on the 'after thanksgiving list':laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,395 Posts
I'd say you can stop now any time. :lol:
BTW, I'll never live long enough to come even close to Randy.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
:lolol:

You're making it difficult for me to live up to your imagination. :mocking: I am the last one you want to emulate. :mocking:
Is being an emulator a good thing?:dunno: Sounds like something a teenager would do in the bathroom!:laugh:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts