Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a Deere 1025R with the 54D auto-connect mower since 2015. Tractor is fine, but I hate the mower. Am I the only one who finds the whole auto-connect thing to be finicky and often problematic? If I could do over I'd go with a dedicated mower and for the price of the 54D, it seems I'd have more than a few choices. Not sure if I'm just an uncoordinated curmudgeon or if others think the MMM is less than ideal.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,403 Posts
Have you read this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you read this?

Yup. Dealer has even adjusted it. Although at one point the regular tech guy had problems and they had to call their expert, who usually works on the big combines and such.

I guess I don't see the benefits of the all-in-one concept. But maybe that's me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I actually posted recently about my troubles with the MMM autoconnect. and I have since played with it a little bit since then and found more practice using it definitely helped. I also have found that since i have put it on, i haven't taken it off except for testing it a few times. But now that its on i haven't taken it off like I thought i would. But it mows very well and I am shocked at how well this thing eats.

·
Registered
2016 1025r
705 Posts
I've had a Deere 1025R with the 54D auto-connect mower since 2015. Tractor is fine, but I hate the mower. Am I the only one who finds the whole auto-connect thing to be finicky and often problematic? If I could do over I'd go with a dedicated mower and for the price of the 54D, it seems I'd have more than a few choices. Not sure if I'm just an uncoordinated curmudgeon or if others think the MMM is less than ideal.
Ok I like it I don’t seem to have problems with the auto correct but I still think next time I’m going with a zero turn and a little bigger tractor as mowing lawn is half of the use for it in the summer

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Personally I have a 2016 1025r. I think the problem with the MMM, is it is marketed as a breeze with the removal and installation so consequently buyers feel or are compelled to keep taking it off and on. I've had dozens of tractors and all type mowers. This unit is not really designed to be removed and installed all the time. This is where you're going to get most of the problems. I've personally reworked the cradle of my machine and these things are very fragile and subject to miss alingement. The ramp over ideal is fine but I'd prefer the simple drive shaft. Probably Kubota may have it pegged. Back in the day I had a cub tractor with belly mower and never mower stayed in place. I do like the mowing quality of the 60d. I run my backhoe but still leave the mower on the tractor. It's mostly a sales thing.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I like mine but it did take some practice and a little tweaking. It upsets me more they don’t tell you to take the FEL off first since the loader stand will hook the front draft arm and bend parts.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yes Mark, I have read and followed the directions in the mower setup thread here on GTT, and have tried to refine my adjustments over a six year period. Some days the mower clicks right on the first try, and other times, like yesterday nothing seems to go well. My main problem is that the 60D, both before and after the Load-n-Go ramps, tends to shift at an angle when the wheels begin to mount the ramps. I have tried pulling the tractor right up to the ramps, and then pushing the mower to ensure contact with both front wheels at the same time.

I have tried rough concrete, asphalt, gravel, dirt, grass, and rubber horse mat surfaces to try to keep the mower from spinning out of alignment. The horse mats are actually the worst. And to preempt, yes I am in 4WD low. The only thing that helps so far is pinning the mower in place by blocking it in front. I have driven rebar into the ground in front of it, and I have used 2x4s against my barn foundation, and both of those do help a lot.

To answer the OP"s question, if it isn't obvious already, I despise the MMM. I am fine with the way it mows, but the mounting system, for me, sucks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Fortunately, I do not have to remove mine often, typically once or twice a season. I am not sure of the '20.5 and newer version is a significant improvement. But yes, they can be finicky and do take some adjustment to keep them operating as intended. I don't mind the manual driveshaft on my other tractor either. However, I am mostly happy because I struggled like hell at times to get decks on other tractors on and off as well as out from under the tractor. So, I'll take what I have any day.

Reactions: csnyder750

·
Premium Member
17,171 Posts
Sorry you have had issues, over the past 8-9 yrs , of having a 60" and a 54" I have had maybe 5 times of having issues putting on or taking the mmm off. If a tire is low , will cause all kind of issues..
My biggest issues for me was the 60" deck not staying at correct mowing height. One day it would be adjusted to correct height by the 2nd or 3rd time of mowing, it was out of adjustment. I could remove , or reconnect without issues.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Fortunately, I do not have to remove mine often, typically once or twice a season. I am not sure of the '20.5 and newer version is a significant improvement. But yes, they can be finicky and do take some adjustment to keep them operating as intended. I don't mind the manual driveshaft on my other tractor either. However, I am mostly happy because I struggled like hell at times to get decks on other tractors on and off as well as out from under the tractor. So, I'll take what I have any day.
I have had to remove mower decks on wheel horses so many times growing up that the drive over deck is a breeze. Do I wish It worked a little better. Absolutely. Do I wish that I could hook it up without having to even dismount the mower and get on my hands and knees. Absolutely. But considering I don't have to lug the deck around and turn wheels and slide it sideways and hook up deck belts. I'll take what I have every single time.

The autoconnect system reminds me of a ladder design I did for a company I worked for in the past. We had ladders that would get stored over head. Usually this involved having a "hook" that came down and hooked the rungs of the ladder. They wanted a design that didn't have the hook so I tried to design a similar latch system that extension ladders use. It worked well except if the latch didn't flip over you had to put the ladder all the way back up and bring it back down. That's how I feel about the autoconnect. If it doesn't hook up you gotta back off and retry from the start.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm not a lover of them. Ones on our tractors are MUCH better than the ones on the cheap underbelly garden tractor ones. Absolutely cannot get at the blades. With fairly easily (guess you're questioning this) removable deck, one can at least prop them on their side and remove the blades or sharpen them in place fairly easily.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the problem with the MMM, is it is marketed as a breeze with the removal and installation so consequently buyers feel or are compelled to keep taking it off and on. I've had dozens of tractors and all type mowers. This unit is not really designed to be removed and installed all the time. This is where you're going to get most of the problems.
I think this nails it. Because of the 1025R's low height, I need to to remove the mower to do most other tasks lest I risk doing some damage to the mower deck. (I know this can happen from experience.) So maybe, if it's a once or twice a year thing, the inconvenience is easily overlooked. But right now, I need to re-hook the mower deck since I've been using it without for the past few days and I want to make sure that I won't need to remove it again any time soon. I'm staring at it out the window and thinking... maybe it's time to go buy a dedicated mower.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think this nails it. Because of the 1025R's low height, I need to to remove the mower to do most other tasks lest I risk doing some damage to the mower deck. (I know this can happen from experience.) So maybe, if it's a once or twice a year thing, the inconvenience is easily overlooked. But right now, I need to re-hook the mower deck since I've been using it without for the past few days and I want to make sure that I won't need to remove it again any time soon. I'm staring at it out the window and thinking... maybe it's time to go buy a dedicated mower.
I recently used mine to clean brush and haul wood from a tree I cut down. I didn't take the time to remove the deck and so wish I did. The deck for dirty from sticks and mud and dirty and water being driven thru. But I was like I need to mow soon so it seemed silly to take it off but the low ground clearance was the biggest reasoning behind that.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
That's odd. I don't have to take my fel off to mount the mmm.
I think the Gen II 2025r and the newer 1 series now (maybe 2020 and newer) use the same system now . I’m guessing the older 1 series didn’t have the same problem. The problem is when you back off the mower, the front draft arm pops up and gets bent over center by the loader stand.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think the Gen II 2025r and the newer 1 series now (maybe 2020 and newer) use the same system now . I’m guessing the older 1 series didn’t have the same problem. The problem is when you back off the mower, the front draft arm pops up and gets bent over center by the loader stand.
View attachment 783293
I can confirm this happens, even on the 2038R with 72" deck. It is annoying, and really depends on where you park it. But, I wouldn't want any other deck system on the market. Despite it's flaws, still the easiest one I've ever used. Of course, a dedicated mower might be more efficient, but I'm not sure if deck maintenance would be any easier.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I have the older 54" deck on my 2013. I had some minor issues but after adjusting everything I haven't had a problem since. Key to success? Level ground.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Speaking of bending things. My son in-law was having a heck of a time with his auto connect and thought the splines were bad or something similar. I made sure everything was adjusted right and still no joy. It would just push the deck along. After a lot of measuring etc I found the right forward frame hook was "slightly" closed up,hard to notice from a casual look. He probably hit a rock clearing out his gardens. I couldn't bend in back down so I ended up filing and grinding a little material off. Problem solved and it has worked perfectly since. Also we both usually mow with the loader on with no problems hooking or unhooking just need to raise the loader up a bit.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My 2019, 60" mmm only has one latch, no pins to remove or replace. Hooking it up is fairly simple if you do all the prenups . Make sure the back links on the tractor are lowered to the install position, Make sure the locking tabs are open, Make sure all 4 mower wheels are released and un locked. Make sure you are in 4 wheel drive low range, Make sure you are lined up correctly with the left side alinement bar. Drive onto the mover in low range and everything should hook up properly.
To remove, release all 4 wheels and unlock the locking tab. I found I can release that tab with a 5 foot pipe without bending down to unlatch it. Use 4 wheel drive and low range and back off.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts