Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2018 1025r
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few days ago, I reinstalled my 60d autoconnect deck on my 2018 1025r with autoconnect pto, and I am running into a couple issues that I did not experience last year (first year I owned this tractor), and I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Problem 1.
When trying to install the deck, the tractor pushed the deck instead of driving over the deck.

I used my load and go to place the deck in the same spot on my asphalt driveway that I used last year to install/remove the deck... then I dropped my loader, put the tractor in low gear and 4wd, but after several attempts the tractor would not drive over the deck (tractor just slid/pushed the deck)

Then I repeated this process on 2 other spots on my driveway... same result.

Then I put vinyl car mats under sides and front of deck... same result.

I moved deck to another spot on driveway, did not use car mats, and the tractor finally drove over the deck, and the deck installed ok. This time I had the loader (no bucket) on.

Last year I was able to easily drive on and off the deck without this problem and I did not have the loader on last year. The only differences I can think of between this year and last year is that the driveway was a touch damp (morning dew) and the temp was cooler (65 vs 80+ last year) and this year I had the loader on when the tractor finally drove over the deck.

Any thoughts about why the tractor had difficulty driving over the deck?

Problem 2.
This year the blades were 1” to 1.5“ out of level side to side... low side was discharge side. This was very noticeable in the cut quality. My visual inspection of linkages on both sides did not show any obvious differences, but I gave the deck a shake on both sides but that did not fix the problem. My next attempt to fix this was to disconnect the deck, then reconnect the deck... that improved the blade level but blades are still out of level almost 0.5”. My question is... why were blades Level at the end of last season, but not at the start of this season?

Problem 3.
I can’t drive off the deck... but I figure the solution to “Problem 1” described above will fix this problem as well? Note the driveway was not at all damp when trying to remove the deck.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
TY

·
Registered
189 Posts
The drive on/off problem. The first thoughts that came to mind are that your 4 wheel drive is not working or not engaged, or your engine RPM is way too low try, 2500 RPM. The second thought is that you were not in low range or your parking brake was on when you tried the drive over. The other problems will require more thinking for me, maybe someone else can answer those.
Edit: As you were attempting the drive over, were your front tires spinning? If they were it was a traction problem due to the wet or muddy tires. Try again with dry conditions.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,415 Posts
Did you remember to unlock the gage wheels before driving over the deck?

·
Registered
2018 1025r
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you remember to unlock the gage wheels before driving over the deck?
Yep. The back of the deck and middle section of the deck front was flat on the ground.

·
Registered
2018 1025r
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The drive on/off problem. The first thoughts that came to mind are that your 4 wheel drive is not working or not engaged, or your engine RPM is way too low try, 2500 RPM. The second thought is that you were not in low range or your parking brake was on when you tried the drive over. The other problems will require more thinking for me, maybe someone else can answer those.
Edit: As you were attempting the drive over, were your front tires spinning? If they were it was a traction problem due to the wet or muddy tires. Try again with dry conditions.
TY for responding. Here are some of my thoughts in return:

1. The tires were not spinning on a stationary deck, but they were turning as they pushed the deck forward

2. Tractor was in low and the 4wd selector was on 4wd and the parking brake was off. I don’t really know how to verify 4wd is working other than the turning radius is larger and turning feels a bit “jerky” when on my asphalt driveway, and the tractor felt like it was in 4wd?

3. My engine rpm was NOT up, I had it in idle... maybe that was the problem, but last year idle worked... I’m not saying idle is best though. When I next try to drive over the deck, I will try using higher rpm... I might not try again till early next week. Another thought... when the tractor eventually did drive over the deck, it was in idle and the loader was on, but the deck was in a different/new location on the driveway.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Quite often the deck will slide on pavement, concrete, or other hard surfaces. If you have load and go then place the deck on a flat spot of your lawn, make sure you're in 4wd, and make sure the deck wheel are up and unlocked.

Reactions: WCN1025

·
Registered
2018 1025r
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quite often the deck will slide on pavement, concrete, or other hard surfaces. If you have load and go then place the deck on a flat spot of your lawn, make sure you're in 4wd, and make sure the deck wheel are up and unlocked.
TY. I considered trying the yard, but my yard has a minor but noticeable slope toward the creek that runs the entire side of our yard. I think I can find a spot that would be level “enough” side to side, but it would not be level front to back... could be 2“-3“ difference front to back... do you think that would work?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sometimes my deck drags too. The first thing I try if/when that happens is put the front tires right up against the deck, throttle up and goose it til the front wheels are solidly planted on the deck ramps.

If that don't work, back up a couple feet and get a running start at it.

Those two solutions always work for me on the occasion that my deck drags. Usually though it doesn't give me ANY trouble.

·
Registered
2018 1025r
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sometimes my deck drags too. The first thing I try if/when that happens is put the front tires right up against the deck, throttle up and goose it til the front wheels are solidly planted on the deck ramps.

If that don't work, back up a couple feet and get a running start at it.

Those two solutions always work for me on the occasion that my deck drags. Usually though it doesn't give me ANY trouble.
TY. Next time I try driving over the deck, I’ll try higher rpm. What rpm do you generally use. I’m not confident that I would hit the deck square with a running start 😳

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I've had the best luck connecting/separating it on an incline. It won't slide up a hill very easy.

·
Registered
2018 1025r
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Mine slides sometimes also but not much. Also make sure the pto selector is set to rear only.

I also assume the you have the height knob set all the way down to the install position.

When you say you can’t back off the deck is it coming loose from the tractor and then it just slides? Or is it getting hing up on the tractor and not coming loose?

·
Registered
944 Posts
You could probably put some grip tape where the front tires initially contact the deck to help them get traction.

·
Registered
2019 2038R
6 Posts
I've never had it go as easy as the demo videos show when installing my 72" MMM on my 2038 but I found that placing a couple of 2"X6" wood planks on the ground next to the deck to help my front wheels climb onto the deck easier. Dismounting seems to go better for me but you can do the same if again, your wheels struggle to climb up on the deck for removal. Good luck.

·
Registered
2018 1025r
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine slides sometimes also but not much. Also make sure the pto selector is set to rear only.

I also assume the you have the height knob set all the way down to the install position.

When you say you can’t back off the deck is it coming loose from the tractor and then it just slides? Or is it getting hing up on the tractor and not coming loose?
TY.

I’m not sure I checked pto selector... I will check that. However, once the tractor drove over the deck, the pto hooked up easily and on the first try.

Yep, the height adjustment was set to “install”

When I tried backing off the deck, the deck detached from the tractor, but the front wheels would not drive over the deck... the wheels just push the deck backward

·
Registered
2018 1025r
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You could probably put some grip tape where the front tires initially contact the deck to help them get traction.
TY. I don’t know what that is but will look that up.

Reactions: trav

·
Registered
2018 1025r
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've never had it go as easy as the demo videos show when installing my 72" MMM on my 2038 but I found that placing a couple of 2"X6" wood planks on the ground next to the deck to help my front wheels climb onto the deck easier. Dismounting seems to go better for me put you can do the same if again, your wheels struggle to climb up on the deck for removal. Good luck.
TY. That does seem like it would be a help.

·
Registered
2018 1025r
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you rev up the engine when driving over the deck. TY

·
Registered
2018 1025r
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Do you rev up the engine when driving over the deck. TY

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't know for sure, I just nudge the RPM up to say 2300 or so to drive on and off the deck.

Flat concrete surface by the way. I haven't tried it on grass yet because I have a country yard (not what I'd call a lawn lol) and there are almost no level areas unless I make them myself.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts