Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing new blades my mmm was making a horrendous noise. I knew I should have stopped, and normally I would have but I needed to finish mowing. So I mowed a lot longer than I should have (~45 minutes). Now that I have had a chance to look into the damage I came back here to report.

My blades were probably out of balanced and/or I am retarded and installed them incorrectly.

The second problem is the deflector (item #4) is spinning and rubbing on one of my spindles. You can see the shiny metal on the last photo. Only the second one appears to be impacted. Once I get my blades squared away, will this problem go away?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Looks like you didn’t center the blades when you tightened them up. As long as the blades are still tight to the spindle they should be ok, if not you will need to see what needs to be replaced, either the blades or spindle.

·
Super Moderator
10,284 Posts
If the blades weren't centered on the spindle shoulder they were likely out of level and colliding with each other on the ends. It's not good practice to continue to use equipment when its making a "horrendous" racket.

Are you sure you've got the correct blades? The center hole on the blade should fit tightly on the spindle shoulder before it's bolted in place. The spindle hole on the blades may be too large.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
As said above, just make sure the blades are centered on the spindle first, and then add the washers and bolts. Also, the washers are cupped or spring washers, so they should be installed with the cup side contacting the blade. The washers may not have a real noticeable cup to just a quick look, but put a straight edge across the washer and you’ll see it has one cupped face and one domed face.

·
Premium Member
10,128 Posts
Agree with above. The cover was probably rubbing because it wasn't seated either or the balance was so far off.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Premium Member
1026R. Grand Cherokee, Sante Fe Sport
1,478 Posts
I remember changing the blades on a mower when I was 12 and it barely cut... My Dad looked at the blades and said..."When they get shiny on the wrong side, you put them on upside down".

Lesson learned.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turns out the holes were not quite big enough. Now they slide into place perfectly.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
My mower deck blades have a gear like pattern so the align correctly.

rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.