Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having ordered my 2520 without a mower I am now wondering if that was a mistake. I only have a couple of acres to mow but a 60" mower would make it faster (along with giving me more tractor time, natch).

My question, what are folks experiences with both? Pros/cons?

I have been looking around and a used MMM for the 2520 is hard to find. Conversely, a rotary is somewhat easier. Currently I have my eye on a 60" Land Pride for $650 (asking).

Thanks for any input.:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
21,006 Posts
First Ron, lets get some terminology correct. I think you mean a RFM, or Rear Finish Mower versus a MMM or Mid Mount Mower. A "rotary cutter" is used for very rough mowing like weeds, brush and saplings, it does not mow grass very well. They are often refereed to as "bush or brush hogs" also.

Now, new RFM's are about 1/2 the price of MMM's, and used about a 1/4, and are easy to find used. Some say they are easier to attach as well. But the downside is that in tight areas and along fence lines they can be real hard to get used to because of the way the swing out when you turn.

If your "couple of acres" is wide open, and you have another mower for the small areas and trimming, then by all means go for the RFM-and a 60" one would be a good match for your tractor. Conversely a 60" rotary cutter is to big for your tractor.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the clarification Ken. I will have to give this some thought. On that 2 acres there is a fence line across the front, a house, garage, shed and numerous trees. Perhaps the rfm woud be an exercise in frustration. I sure woud like to see one in action. The price (used) is real attractive but if it is a pain for my type of topography then it is not worth it at any price.

·
Administrator
21,006 Posts
My suggestion would be to call the seller and see if you can "test drive" it, that way you can see what I am talking about.

In short, the thing sticks out the back 4 or 5 feet, and its attached to the 3PH. Now, when you turn right, the mower will swing left a considerable amount-that can wreck a fence quickly, or anything else that gets in the way.

What are you mowing with now?

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Is the 2520 your only mowing machine, or do you have a smaller "riding lawnmower" too?

I mow 50' from the house with a rear rotary mower behind my 4520. I use my 318 with a MMM around the house, and for areas that are too tight for the 4520 and MX6 (about 20' in length altogether). Where I use the rotary cutter, I don't consider it "lawn" but call if "yard/field". It's rough even after cutting and some places I'm still gouging the ground a bit.

If your 2520 was your only mowing machine, with 2 acres, I'd get the mid mount mower. If you have another mowing machine, then the RFM would cut the time to mow down if it was significantly wider than your mowing machine (say a 60" vs. a 42"). Of course, the obstacle count makes a difference. And the learning curve with any rear mower is steep, unforgiving and expensive if you learn the hard way.

Also know what level of quality you want when your done. If you mow with a FRM and trim with a riding or push mower, there will some some differences in height of the grass. If you mow it all with a MMM it will be smoother and cleaner looking.

I was buying new, so the cost of a rotary mower was less than a FRM, and I also have some fields that need to be kept in check with a once a year mowing. So the rotary-garden tractor solution made sense for me. Agree with everything Kenny said, I think we're saying the same things from different perspectives.

Yeah, this is a "clear as mud" answer but if it gets you thinking about all this that's good :thumbup1gif:

Pete

·
Registered
170 Posts
Having ordered my 2520 without a mower I am now wondering if that was a mistake. I only have a couple of acres to mow but a 60" mower would make it faster (along with giving me more tractor time, natch).

My question, what are folks experiences with both? Pros/cons?

I have been looking around and a used MMM for the 2520 is hard to find. Conversely, a rotary is somewhat easier. Currently I have my eye on a 60" Land Pride for $650 (asking).

Thanks for any input.:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:
Had a MMM, and bought an RFM with the new tractor. Backing into corners is nice. I actually have less trimming to do because of that. You will get used to turning real fast. It is no worse than using any other 3PT implement, and the dollars saved is nice too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't know how steep your property is, but a MMM will go onto hills that a RFM won't. The MMM puts the weight right where you want it - low and centered. The RFM can end up being a tail-wagging-dog kind of arrangement if you're not careful.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have no problems mowing with my 72" grooming mower, swing has not been a problem, I understood it was for mowing open areas when I bought it. Like Williamnbos says, one sure makes it nice backing into corners and pockets that otherwise would be left to grow. I think I paid $1700 delivered from my local John Deere dealer. It's been a good mower ever since I went over the pulley nuts with Locktite and rewelded a wheel that broke off at the weld, but that kind of stuff can happen to all makes these global market days.

All I had to do was adjust the 3pt hitch's lower lifting arms a bit wider. The bush hog and the mower both run fine on the new adjustment setting.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Ron,

This is one of the tractor worlds greatest debates, along with R4 vs turf tires, or front vs rear snowblower, or even tractor size. The key is to match up your task and usage to the proper equipment. When you do this you'll become a firm believer in that piece of equipment. With that being said, I think the guys have given you the info. you need. basically, obstcales-hills = MMM, flat-open area = RFM. Then of course there is that other factor, $$$$. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Also, if you go RFM, get a floating hitch on it, just like Tackit's and ours.

The MF mower we have is built by Alamo, which is the same mower as Top quality mower.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have both a RRC and a RFM. I actually find my RRC does a very nice cut. For close-up tasks and inside the back yard fence I (or the kids when motivated) push around a standard 22" lawn mower. I also prefer the rear grass discharge of the rear mowers over the side grass discharge of a MMM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts