Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was running the 790 and 5' Bush Hog today and toward the end, I was noticing more exhaust smoke than normal and possibly (not sure about this) slightly less power. It's got 500 odd hours on it of which I've put about 300 and the PO did 200 or so. It didn't run hot and oil was fine but I'm thinking I may have an injector going bad. That mower does put a load on the 790 when the grass is tall or thick but this seemed to be more than normal.

I've got to check the book and see if there is other service to be done. I've changed the hydraulic filter and fluid once because I wasn't sure what the PO had done. Oil change was relatively recent as well.

So far in order of likelihood I have:
  • It was my imagination as it was hot and the mayflies were biting anyway.
  • I might have some contamination in the fuel and should drain a quart or so and possibly change a filter.
  • Injector might be going bad or at least need cleaning.
  • Rings on one cylinder may be leaking a bit of engine oil. (I hope it's not this one.)
  • Some other thing I haven't considered like the valves may need setting.
Treefarmer

·
Administrator
20,970 Posts
Check your air filter. Restriction of the air will cause black smoke, especially under heavy load.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Check your air filter. Restriction of the air will cause black smoke, especially under heavy load.
It doesn't have any restriction showing on the gauge but I can certainly pull it and check.

Thanks.

Treefarmer

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
It doesn't have any restriction showing on the gauge but I can certainly pull it and check.

Thanks.

Treefarmer
Don't rely on the air restriction gauge. A periodic visual inspection is good practice.

Double-check the oil and coolant levels as well. :good2:

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil and coolant

Don't rely on the air restriction gauge. A periodic visual inspection is good practice.

Double-check the oil and coolant levels as well. :good2:
I check the oil and coolant before starting the engine. Those are fine. I normally don't pull an air filter unless there is an issue because often that causes dirt to get into the system. But since I think I have an issue, I'll pick up both inner and outer filters and swap them out. Then I can either clean or discard the old ones depending on what they look like.

Treefarmer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts