Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 42" Dethatcher that I usually pull behind my Craftsman Rider. I dethatch 2 acres and sometimes this seems to strain the 24HP rider. I recently made some mods to the unit so I could pull behind my 2305 hoping to gain some speed to reduce dethatching time.

My first test run didn't go very well. I started using high range at about 2000 rpm. Starting out the de-thatcher would bouncer from side to side which increased with speed. I laid a bag of mulch on the frame and that seem to help stop the bounce but started again with increase in speed. I switched to low range at 2000 rpm with half pedal and the unit pull smoothly at a speed higher than the rider would provide. This was still not as fast as I would like but an improvement. I will say using the 2305 is a huge improvement over using the rider. Much easier to steer, more comfortable ride and I can raise the unit to back into locations. Also when I lift the unit most of the thatch drops of the tines.

I have a second identical de-thatcher so I've considered mounting them side by side with a piece of tubing across the top for connection. I think being wider would help stop the side to side bounce however it wouldn't allow for uneven terrain. This winter I plan on building a 3 point frame that will allow both units to pivot independently.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you make the thatcher 3 point mount that way it stays ridge and the tines can do the flexing.
Thanks for posting the pic, I've been looking for a 3 point thatcher. Went to CMPs website and they had 1 left in stock which I purchased. With the current price of steel, it would cost at least half of the $439 purchase price just to build it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.