Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added 8" side extensions to my JD 54" plow to make a total of 70". I traded a gun for a MillerMatic 140 welder. I havn't welded since high school, and that was stick welding, so this is my first project with wire welding. I also added rubber cutting edge from a thick horse stal mat from the farm store. Still need to find a 6' steel cutting edge, but works fine the way it is. I have to add the pics from my phone, so please bear with me.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here we go

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Made a heated paint booth since my garage is not insulated. Worked pretty good. Sorry about sideways pics. Don't kn why that's happening. By the way, I used an electic heater and not the fuel heater since paint can be flamable.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty impressed with the rubber edge. It rides right over bumps and seams in drive. Quiet and smooth, reall don't know how I've lived without it. Don't know why JD doesn't make a wider blade for the compacts. This blade is now the perfect size for my needs. Please ignore the messsy garage, and I know my welding skills need alot of work. This summer I will grind them down and clean them up and paint the whole blade green.
One side of blade sits a little highter than other, was that way when I picked it up from dealer. Is their any adjusting it?

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Looks pretty darn good. :good2: as long as they hold, they are good welds. :yahoo:

I've got the same welder. It is a good machine. Like you I never used a mig, only stick, and it had been some time since I stick welded as well.

A few more projects is all it will take. If you are like me you'll be looking for stuff to weld. :lol:

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Yeah nice job!

Reactions: Brians2032R

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,054 Posts
A LOT better than 54":thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Well done! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
23,258 Posts
That's an awesome plow you built!

There is a 54 blade for sale very near me that is really taunting me but I just don't have the means to modify it like that. I think I would be frustrated with the 54" on my 2520. The length of your plow looks perfect on the 2 series.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I'm pretty impressed with the rubber edge. It rides right over bumps and seams in drive. Quiet and smooth, reall don't know how I've lived without it. Don't know why JD doesn't make a wider blade for the compacts. This blade is now the perfect size for my needs. Please ignore the messsy garage, and I know my welding skills need alot of work. This summer I will grind them down and clean them up and paint the whole blade green.
One side of blade sits a little highter than other, was that way when I picked it up from dealer. Is their any adjusting it?
I love the rubber edge for the same reasons. It's just so quiet and the way it can contour high spots is great. My Scrambler had a metal edge and I never realized how loud that thing was. Same with using the loader to move snow. Now it's just a lite woosh sound. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,700 Posts

There is a 54 blade for sale very near me that is really taunting me but I just don't have the means to modify it like that. I think I would be frustrated with the 54" on my 2520. The length of your plow looks perfect on the 2 series.
The Artillian rubber wings are working great for me. Others have built their own versions of the rubber "wings" as well. The Artillian version comes with all the necessary hardware.
Yesterday, I accidentally 'scraped' the receiver hitch on my neighbors car. Thankfully, the rubber wing did no damage, didn't even leave a mark. Would not have been as pretty if I had hit it with the steel blade.

Highly recommended.

·
Super Moderator
5,285 Posts
Just curious on the rubber cutting edge... Were you able to find a 6' stall mat? Or did you use 2 pieces? All the stall mats I've seen locally are 3'x5'.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,054 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Just curious on the rubber cutting edge...
JimR raises a good reminder point. If you buy the Artillian wings, you will need a new (longer) cutting edge to match. Again, I bought the Artillian rubber version for the first try because it includes all of the hardware. In the future, when I need to replace, I'll likely use the TSC stall mat linked by Gizmo2.

·
Super Moderator
5,285 Posts

·
Registered
12,213 Posts

You can add the Artillian extensions. They work well on my 54 blade.

I really have to learn to read ALL of the posts before I throw crap out.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sweet! Thx!
I bought mine, 4x6, from Rural King for $34.99. I chose it over TLC because the grooves went diagnal. The one I got are verticle which I think made it easier to cut. But realy I don't think one is better than other.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The extensions I used came off of a plow from a 1978 JD 400 that used to belong to a Church I attended growing up. It was bought new with 60" deck and 54" snow blade. A member of the church worked for a company that made the plows for Deere, so he made the extensions and welded them on. About 14 years ago I purchased the tractor and cut the extensions off and held on to them. I'm glad I did because they worked out well.
I thought about the Artillian wings, but we get alot of wet packed snow and I was afraid that the rubber wings would just fold in while pushing, especialy the ditch line. From the video I watched on their web site, it looked like the rubber wings had alot of play. I see alot of pro's with them, but also some cons for what all I want to use my blade for. As far as hitting things with the wider blade, it's easy to do. I also had to keep reminding myself that the tractor is wider in the rear while manuvering around obstacles. I'm still use to the 1026r.

·
Super Moderator
5,285 Posts
I thought about the Artillian wings, but we get alot of wet packed snow and I was afraid that the rubber wings would just fold in while pushing, especialy the ditch line. From the video I watched on their web site, it looked like the rubber wings had alot of play.
Obviously you've made your mods (and they look good!) but just for anyone that stumbles on this thread in the coming years - this isn't really a problem with the Artillian wings. At least not that I've run into. We had 4" of slush in the driveway Sunday morning and the Artillian wings did just fine shoving it around and they never really even moved. You really do have to run into something VERY solid to get them to flex.

The only reason I went with the Artillian setup is because I have a stone wall on one side of my driveway. The guy that plowed in prior years used a 8' plow on his pickup and he was terrified of hitting that wall so he wouldn't get any closer than 3' or 4'. I can run right up alongside the wall and if I bump it, no biggie. The wings flex and then snap right back into place. They're really pretty rigid and it takes quite a bit to get them to bend.

I'd still like to have a wider plow though. Maybe come summer I'll do a mod like your's and then add the Artillian wings to that. :laugh:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Obviously you've made your mods (and they look good!) but just for anyone that stumbles on this thread in the coming years - this isn't really a problem with the Artillian wings. At least not that I've run into. We had 4" of slush in the driveway Sunday morning and the Artillian wings did just fine shoving it around and they never really even moved. You really do have to run into something VERY solid to get them to flex.

The only reason I went with the Artillian setup is because I have a stone wall on one side of my driveway. The guy that plowed in prior years used a 8' plow on his pickup and he was terrified of hitting that wall so he wouldn't get any closer than 3' or 4'. I can run right up alongside the wall and if I bump it, no biggie. The wings flex and then snap right back into place. They're really pretty rigid and it takes quite a bit to get them to bend.

I'd still like to have a wider plow though. Maybe come summer I'll do a mod like your's and then add the Artillian wings to that. :laugh:
It's good to hear that the Artillian wings hold up to the thicker sloppier stuff. I wish they would include more footage of the set up in action on more compact snow or slush. Being able to bump a wall or other objects with the rubber wings is a big plus. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts