Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought I would give these a shot on my gravel driveway. Not sure how they will work but only one way to find out! I took the stock shoes and added approx. another 6" to the length. Then I made a set using 13"x 5" x 3/8" hot rolled. Next I welded an angle on the front edge. Then took another piece of plate 1/4" thick by 6 1/2" x 5" milled adjuster slots and then welded them together. My first weld job as you can see!!!! I didn't put a rear angle on because I wasn't sure if I had clearance. I will probably will add it but I thought I would see how they work first. They may float to much, thats why I revised my other set in case these don't work.:unknown:
shoes.jpg

Reactions: stg454 and North585

·
Premium Member
12,748 Posts
Based on my experience with the 54" blower on a gravel driveway there is no such thing as too much float. :) I tried doubling the size of the stock shoes and it was an epic fail.

Your large shoe may work a bit better. The 54" blower is quite heavy and it really wants to dig in, especially when the ground is soft.

Attachments

Reactions: mikdor

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
When I plowed snow off my gravel driveway with a garden tractor,, I found that adding a spring support to the blade was better than skids,,

If there is no down force,, the blade/blower will dig in less,,

The Cub Cadet had a perfect spring system,,
by twisting a knob, you could literally make the attachment have "negative weight", you had to push the lift handle to make the blade go down,,

So, is there any way a spring could be built into the lift?? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
12,748 Posts
When I plowed snow off my gravel driveway with a garden tractor,, I found that adding a spring support to the blade was better than skids,,

The snow blower weighs 250 lb. so it would need a pretty big spring and a suitable anchor point.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
The snow blower weighs 250 lb. so it would need a pretty big spring and a suitable anchor point.
Even if the spring only removed 25% of the weight,, it would be that much less the shoes would have to support,,,

Removing 80-90% of the weight is ideal,, but any less weight would be helpful,,,

Heck, even a hand-full of bungee straps helping to lift the blower will show a dramatic effect in gravel moving,,,

It is really great when you see a counter sprung blade ride over a pile of gravel, rather than plowing through the hump,,, :bigthumb:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Well I thought I would give these a shot on my gravel driveway. Not sure how they will work but only one way to find out! I took the stock shoes and added approx. another 6" to the length. Then I made a set using 13"x 5" x 3/8" hot rolled. Next I welded an angle on the front edge. Then took another piece of plate 1/4" thick by 6 1/2" x 5" milled adjuster slots and then welded them together. My first weld job as you can see!!!! I didn't put a rear angle on because I wasn't sure if I had clearance. I will probably will add it but I thought I would see how they work first. They may float to much, thats why I revised my other set in case these don't work.:unknown:
View attachment 656742

That's exactly what I had to do on my HLA 1500 snow pusher. The factory float shoes were basically knives, useless except on asphalt because the pusher weighs too much for the light-duty loader arms. The arms flexed, and caused the pusher to constantly want to "dig in" because the pivot point at the rear is way up high.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts

The Cub Cadet had a perfect spring system,,
by twisting a knob, you could literally make the attachment have "negative weight", you had to push the lift handle to make the blade go down,,

I was happily reading along until I saw this picture, it gave me a chill up my spine just seeing it!!!! :hide: I know we will get it sooner or later, in fact 5-8 Friday,, but... I really hate snow.... So if anyone can find Eden, please let me know where it is! Good luck with your experiments with less weight on those shoes.. and blades...:bigbeer:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Even if the spring only removed 25% of the weight,, it would be that much less the shoes would have to support,,,

Removing 80-90% of the weight is ideal,, but any less weight would be helpful,,,

Heck, even a hand-full of bungee straps helping to lift the blower will show a dramatic effect in gravel moving,,,

It is really great when you see a counter sprung blade ride over a pile of gravel, rather than plowing through the hump,,, :bigthumb:
I've often thought about this with my 430's big 2 stage blower. I have always considered adding down pressure springs (mounted differently of course) from a planter row unit. I think it would be a fairly simple mod that would be helpful.

planterdownforce.JPG

Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts