Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any helpful tips on how to loosen the 1/2 inch bolts on the rear wheel spin out rims on a 1954 40 S?
Have tried WD 40 and extended handle wrench. Afraid I am going to "round" the bolt heat. It's a 4 sided head so a socket wrench doesn't work.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,362 Posts
If you are in a rush I would put heat to them. If you are not in a rush I would soak them as best you can with penetrating oil for a week. Then you’ll probably have to put heat to them.

Who knows if they have been moved in 40 years. That is a lot of mud, water, cow manure and god knows what else that has had many years to soak in. If you need to use it I would have new bolts on hand before I did it. If you don’t need to use it at least you’ll have time to get bolts if you do twist them. My WD has regular five sided heads so they do exist.

Reactions: Superglidesport

·
Registered
722 Posts
Heat on rims with mounted tires, many people have died trying that method. You don't say whether tires are mounted or not, hopefully not. Never had to deal with spin out rims but my favorite penetrant is PB blaster with silicon.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Heat on rims with mounted tires, many people have died trying that method. You don't say whether tires are mounted or not, hopefully not. Never had to deal with spin out rims but my favorite penetrant is PB blaster with silicon.
Technically bolt that PFC needs to loosen that probably will require ""heat"" isn't attached directly to wheel but is connected to the rail. If one is concerned about an explosion from heating I suggest to remove inner tube valve stem before applying any heat.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,891 Posts
as dumb as it may sound try tightening it, a lot of times it will move and then you can loosen it. Really Old timer showed me this, he was really old in 1980 when he showed me.
That has worked for me many times.

·
Registered
670 Posts
That has worked for me many times.

Was 18 at the time. I was an apprentice toolmaker. I went into work and about 5 guys were sitting BSing before shift change.
I said I have been trying to remove a flywheel all day from an old engine. The old guy says go home and tighten them they will come right out.
A few of the younger guys snickered. I tried it the next day, worked. Been using that trick for another 40 + years now/

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
PFC, First, WD-40 is NOT a penetrating oil, it's a lubricant and does nothing to break down rust. A penetrating oil, like PB Blaster or Kroil is what you need AND patience! The oil takes time to work and trying to loosen the fastener after laying the can down is fruitless!
Second, use the correct tool for the job, a square socket. ! 12-poiny socket only "grabs" on the very corners of the bolt and, as you stated, can round off the bolt head.
Third, try heating AFTER removing valve core... just to be safe and alive before you get the bolt oose!
Last, try tightening...after penetrating oil has worked for a day AND with the correct socket... about 1/8 turn is all you'll need.
Best of luck, Bob

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all the helpful tips.
Tire is on rim and rim is on tractor.
Am going to soak with penitrating oil and get my hands on a 4 point socket.
Thanks again for all the responses, very helpful.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,810 Posts
Have tried WD 40
You just as soon use water than WD40. That stuff is weaker than ant piss. :ROFLMAO:

Spend your money on KROIL.

What the others have said about tightening first has worked many times for me. It loosened the crud holding it in place.

·
Super Moderator
10,522 Posts
Here’s a safe solution for loosening rusted or seized fasteners.

Seriously, this is an invaluable tool for someone who does their own repairs and maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: flyweight

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
So this scket your hunting for will likely be a 8 point vs. a 4 point.

However......There are a few actual 4 point sockets that are built for duplex Semi truck lugnut/studs. probly too small for what yo need..Iirc they are 7/8".......What size are these bolts and where is the Pic..I missed that somehow :unsure:

Somewhere Here is a recent thread thats all about Square Sockets and where to get theM

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So this scket your hunting for will likely be a 8 point vs. a 4 point.

However......There are a few actual 4 point sockets that are built for duplex Semi truck lugnut/studs. probly too small for what yo need..Iirc they are 7/8".......What size are these bolts and where is the Pic..I missed that somehow :unsure:

Somewhere Here is a recent thread thats all about Square Sockets and where to get theM

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,810 Posts
PFC,
using a very large punch and a heavy hammer(2-1/5 or 5 lb.) , strike it a few time with solid hits.
This usually "shocks" the nut/bolt and loosens the rust around the threads.

·
Premium Member
10,362 Posts
They look very good and clean from the outside.

Reactions: flyweight

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Here is the pic. Going to try a good penitrating oil and let sit for a few days.
The Duplex Semi Socket may well be the perfect fit for that and its a 4 point......look into finding one and mount it on your airgun of choice......1" drive is my preferred weapon .. 1/2" drive may well work if its a good gun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.