Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad acquired a pair of model A tractors from a job he did on a backhoe. They did run awhile ago but no longer. My friend and I would like to play with restoring one as I have the other and a model H. Is there anything in specific about these tractors and how they work compared to others I may have worked on?

·
Registered
354 Posts
There is a plethora of information on these units and parts are readily available. Enjoy every minute of it, they dont build'em like that anymore.
Share some pictures when you can.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
My dad acquired a pair of model A tractors from a job he did on a backhoe. They did run awhile ago but no longer. My friend and I would like to play with restoring one as I have the other and a model H. Is there anything in specific about these tractors and how they work compared to others I may have worked on?
They are fun to work on, simple and like he said they don't make them like that anymore. I rebuilt a '46 A. Does it still have magneto and 6 volt? There lots of little things that could cause them not to run, you'll have to let us know what the problem is and pics are always good.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will do that for sure. My dad did put some sort of starter on it I know that. We were started on one but when he took the cylinder heads off we noticed a partial crack in the frame. So I'll have my welder friend take care of that.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
What year is it? Stamped frame or angle steel frame?

·
Registered
311 Posts
The latest models had the stamped frame going from the engine block forward to the front pedestal and is formed as apposed to the older models where that frame looks like a flat plate going from the engine to the pedestal. If you google a 1952 B and look at the side frame and then google a 1941 for example it will be easy to see. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Sounds like stamp frames. Older has like heavy angle iron frame from engine block to front end. Get serial numbers and can tell you the year.

·
Registered
740 Posts
These old tractors are the very definition of the phrase 'beauty in simplicity'. They are very easy to work on because there isn't anything on them that doesn't need to be there. The letter series tractors are also the reason why John Deere enjoys the solid reputation it has today. I'd take one over a modern Deere any day for any task short of loader work or working more than 40 acres.

Get yourself a Model A shop manual... Not one of the generic two-cylinder manuals from Tractor Supply. eBay, your local Deere dealer, or just about any vendor which sells old tractor parts will be able to hook you up.

Good luck!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will get a shop manual. We may even have one in the three filing cabinets full. I'll set myself a reminder to get serial numbers tonight.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These are the two A's. The one with more paint has the small crack in the frame. And I actually think it's a year older than the rustier one.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
600572 is a 1948

690055 is a 1952

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow...those are very straight tractors. Should not be very difficult to get them running again....there are alot of places that carry parts for them. Like others have said...they do not make them like this anymore...take care of them and they will take care of you. I have a 1949 A and 1953 60 and they are very good tractors and still use them today for bush hogging, pulling, etc. The hand clutches are a different animal, but that's what makes them unique.

·
Registered
222 Posts
not to be to nitpicky, but an Deere H and the rest of the waterloo 2 cylinders are different. The belt pulley on the H runs backwards from the rest of them because its driven from the camshaft. Not the greatest idea, but at least its not red - haha

Those are two very nice looking A's you have, neither one look like a parts machine, i wish half my stuff started out looking that nice when i got it

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is a good place to buy parts for these machines? I'm trying to figure out how much it would cost to make one run and work a little. Not worried about paint right now.

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
What is a good place to buy parts for these machines? I'm trying to figure out how much it would cost to make one run and work a little. Not worried about paint right now.
I use several vendors. Here's a few of my go-to's.

http://www.davenporttractor.com/

http://www.oldjd4u.com/

eBay can be another good source of parts, but be careful. Some will pass along bad parts as good or tell you it fits something it doesn't. If you have time to research each item, you should be ok.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts