Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to John Deere - I dont have my tractor yet - its a 1937 Unstyled B, set to be delivered soon.
Just curious - looking at videos of hand starting show a relief valve on each side.

Did all the two-cyl. engines on the unstlyed B come with them?
If not can you add them?

Seems to me it would make it alot easier to start in this Michigan weather.

The pictures I received did not show a close up of that area around the spark plugs.

Thanks for your help..

Ok if you can't tell I am a little excited to get my project..

·
Registered
740 Posts
Your B should have them. You would have a hard time spinning the flywheel if they weren't there. The compression petcocks should be brass but might be hiding if they were painted over at some point.

All letter series tractors except the M should have them if I'm not mistaken. I know all of the hand start models I have seen have them.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
It should have them and likely does. They are a little lower on the motor so they can spray out on the ground instead of all over the tractor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
B Petcocks

Far as I know the older Unstyled B's (Before they became styled in 1939) DID NOT HAVE PETCOCKS

In 1939 the styled had a slight bigger bore and more compression so only then did they use petcocks

HOWEVER those older unstyled B's were not very hard to hand crank so petcocks weren't necessary

My 1938 Unstyled Long Frame DOES NOT have petcocks but my friends 1939 Styled does.

IMG_3770.JPG :hi:

John T IMG_3770.JPG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beautiful Tractor- What is the chain for - Weights?

Thanks for the information on the compression release- hopefully mine will be easy to start w/o them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Beautiful Tractor- What is the chain for - Weights?

Thanks for the information on the compression release- hopefully mine will be easy to start w/o them.
The front chain links on each side were used to chain/boom it down when hauling on my trailer. Your Unstyled B cranks relatively easy is why no petcocks were used. When right and perfect they should hand start the first or second pullover of the flywheel but many tractors will NOT.

John T

·
Registered
740 Posts
Strange that they didn't have them originally because my great-grandfathers '36 short frame does. I wonder if someone upgraded the engine with a newer block or higher compression pistons to try and squeeze a few more ponies out of the old tractor.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Your B should have them. You would have a hard time spinning the flywheel if they weren't there. The compression petcocks should be brass but might be hiding if they were painted over at some point.

All letter series tractors except the M should have them if I'm not mistaken. I know all of the hand start models I have seen have them.
My H I had did not have them.
200.jpg

But my 1947 B that I have does have them, hard to see but circled in red.
300.jpg

·
Registered
740 Posts
I always forget the poor little model H!

·
Registered
6 Posts
bakerg "But my 1947 B that I have does have them, hard to see but circled in red.'

Yep I think ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the B's starting with when they became styled and their bore was increased in 1939 had them, so fer sure your 47 would.

NOTE as a past used tractor dealer I saw a ton of modifications and changed blocks so no tellin what years out there may have or not have petcocks lol

Have fun yall

John T

1 - 11 of 11 Posts